• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Line6 Helix

rubytopaz

Gold Supporting Member
@rubytopaz I had a TIA almost two years ago and I'm on meds for cholestrol, BP and blood thinners, I've had no side effects whatsoever. 100% recovered.
It was pretty rought mentally, that was the worst part really. But luckily it passed. You'll do good! :)
That was so important for me to hear. Thanks! That helped a lot.

rubytopaz

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, SO SORRY TO HEAR!
My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Get the best doc's you can (Mayo Clinic, etc.).
Thanks so much! I've got a great doc...who listens, which is a really good quality in a doc...nobody knows you, better than you :)

ricstudioc

Here's some sucky news:
Just got home this afternoon.
I've been in the hospital all night. I had a stroke. Right hand and leg kinda wonky. Had a cat scan and an MRI. The neurologist said I should make a full recovery. Was very scary. Blood pressure was in the 200s. Wanted me to stay an extra day, but it was stressing me out so much that he let me go home. I'm allergic to aspirin, so he wants me on plavix..and a statin...and BP meds. Totally bummed. Not a big believer in the meds. Not a day at the beach.
Tried playing guitar. Picking hand not responding
Freaked me out. After 15 minutes of relearning and coordinating my right with my left, it's starting to come back. I have a lot of work to do. Not happy.
Damn, just saw this. Glad to hear you're already getting back - not surprised, I'm aware of your martial arts focus. People tend to think it's all about the punching/kicking, fail to notice the integration of mind and body that ensues from that training. i got faith in ya, pal - you'll be back 100% in jig time!

To others - just a reminder that the machines we wander around in will sooner or later break, wear out - fail. Doesn't really matter what shape you're in (google Jim Fixx), eventually something can/will go wrong. I'm ten years out now from having a stent put in - 7 years out from having my intestines... well, explode. THAT one was dicey, I'm fortunate to be here.

I'm not saying "exercise more!" and/or "eat better!", although there's certainly nothing wrong with either - but regardless there's a breakdown coming, now or then. What I AM saying is - live the life you want to live, find something to laugh at every day (every hour?), every now and again be extra kind to a stranger. I know damn well that the world won't sniff at my passing - but I also know there''s a handful of people whose lives I've helped make perhaps a tiny bit better. And that'll be good enough, comes the time.

Stay safe all!

Damn, just saw this. Glad to hear you're already getting back - not surprised, I'm aware of your martial arts focus. People tend to think it's all about the punching/kicking, fail to notice the integration of mind and body that ensues from that training. i got faith in ya, pal - you'll be back 100% in jig time!

To others - just a reminder that the machines we wander around in will sooner or later break, wear out - fail. Doesn't really matter what shape you're in (google Jim Fixx), eventually something can/will go wrong. I'm ten years out now from having a stent put in - 7 years out from having my intestines... well, explode. THAT one was dicey, I'm fortunate to be here.

I'm not saying "exercise more!" and/or "eat better!", although there's certainly nothing wrong with either - but regardless there's a breakdown coming, now or then. What I AM saying is - live the life you want to live, find something to laugh at every day (every hour?), every now and again be extra kind to a stranger. I know damn well that the world won't sniff at my passing - but I also know there''s a handful of people whose lives I've helped make perhaps a tiny bit better. And that'll be good enough, comes the time.

Stay safe all!
“Live the life you want to live...”

Word.

We are pretty fortunate if we get close; which most of us on here have managed to some extent.

I’m just pretty glad I’ve got what I’ve got and done what I’ve done. I know it should have been more; but at least I had the opportunity. Some folk don’t get that.

What Napoleon said about generals is also true of guitarists; it doesn’t really matter if they’re competent, it matters if they’re lucky. (I’d suggest a minimal competence is required nevertheless. But I would, wouldn’t I?)

rubytopaz

Gold Supporting Member

Stay safe all!
Thanks for the faith in me and the sound advice...it's the way that I actually live, every day of my life.
Didn't know about your past health issues...dude...brutal! So sorry you had to go through that and so glad you are still here.
I've improved so much in one day. I'm almost starting to play like my old self again.
Thanks bud!

Digital Igloo

The chances that a model will be fixed or tweaked is zero.
L6 is not known to tweak or re-do the models; once it's released it is final.

It doesn't seem they used their "Behavioral Modeling" on the Rat, or did a listening A/B test.
And no, the Vermin doesn't sound like any Rat pedal, old or new.
Turns out we screwed up on one of our resonant filters. It was behaving properly in Matlab (most of the A/B listening tests were done in test hardware for 1.0 HX models, since the Helix hardware wasn't finished at the time), but one of its filter's resonance mapping was inadvertently multed to the Gain knob when porting to Helix, so our Rat model was far too resonant, especially at high Gain settings. Yes, one of us should've caught this; apologies. This was fixed a week or so ago and will be in 3.0; totally forgot about it until today.

EDIT: Sam found the square back non-LED RAT we used for Helix 1.0 and is currently remeasuring and A/B'ing against the real thing.

Last edited:

dk_ace

Turns out we screwed up on one of our resonant filters. It was behaving properly in Matlab (most of the A/B listening tests were done in test hardware for 1.0 HX models, since the Helix hardware wasn't finished at the time), but one of its filter's resonance mapping was inadvertently multed to the Gain knob when porting to Helix, so our Rat model was far too resonant, especially at high Gain settings. Yes, one of us should've caught this; apologies. This was fixed a week or so ago and will be in 3.0; totally forgot about it until today.
Great to hear that we‘re getting a proper Rat, thanks!

D

Digital Igloo

Holy moly!
I am utterly and fully speechless.
Thank you so much Line 6!
Thanks for calling us out, James! :beer

We debated for about 10 seconds on whether to keep the incorrect Rat and move it to the Legacy category (as rebuilding presets won't compensate for this much difference in the model) but screw it—it's wrong. If people need to retweak any presets with Vermin Dist, so be it. We've gotten away with not forcing users to retweak anything for over 5 years.

Aahzz

We debated for about 10 seconds on whether to keep the incorrect Rat and move it to the Legacy category (as rebuilding presets won't compensate for this much difference in the model) but screw it—it's wrong. If people need to retweak any presets with Vermin Dist, so be it. We've gotten away with not forcing users to retweak anything for over 5 years.
And DI once again shows why I'm a Line 6 customer for the long haul. You guys do great work and your community involvement is fantastic.

Every time I think a competitor has come out with a product to match (or better) the Helix I am reminded that, however good their product is, they just don’t have the Line6 guys and the ecosystem.

Now all I need is... not a lot. And 3.0 looks like it will fill-in most of the obvious lacunæ.

Maybe bright caps for accuracy; and to make Mr Freeman happy. And because he knows his stuff.

Those of us who haven’t done paid work for over half a year are feeling the pinch now; but my Helix is still a source of great joy - and gets me playing when there is no incentive to do so beyond listening to myself think, so to speak. I use it more, and in more varied ways, than anything else I make music with.

Wow...THAT is integrity!

zematynnad

I don't personally use the Rat but I so appreciate what Line 6 is doing. Thanks so much! And, I appreciate not wanting to make users redo presets.
But I'm curious - having 5 years under the belt has surely led to changes in how amps are modeled has it not? Since releases come with a decent amount of time between them would it ever make sense to revamp some of the older models? I'm not asking because I think I'm missing anything, just curious.

Trending Topics