Line6 M13/9 Disciples - good enough to sell off your stomps?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by izzyizborn, Dec 18, 2009.

1. izzyizborn

izzyizborn Member

With Christmas just a week away, and the Mrs. asking what I wanted :bong, I decided to take the plunge into M13 land - vs 2.0!

First of all, sounds great from everything I've reviewed. Bugs and fixes aside for the moment, is this unit good enough for you to consider getting rid of your stompboxes altogether?

I have some stomps I would never let go, many that I would but need at the moment, so in theory... are you happy enough with the tones that your stomps are collecting dust in the corner? I'd like your opinion!

Thanks,
    Izzy

2. rcl

rcl Member

Yup. Already sold a few to pay for an M9 for the pedal board. It does a good job at the standard pedal sounds and adds a ton of others and a looper, and a tuner. So instead of a wah, choralflange, delay, minideja, 2 overdrives, a tuner, sometimes third overdrive, a compressor, assorted other modulation pedals...I just have the wah, M9 and one overdrive, though that isnt used often. The M13 stays at home. I use the looper for practicing and the M9 is nice and small for the travel pedalboard. Smaller than the choralflange and minideja stuck together.

3. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

Nope, no way, not for me. Bugs aside (and I have a buggy one), the drives don't do it for me. And I tried, I really did. Everything else is very good.

4. hangten

hangten Member

sold some stomps, am experimenting with using others with the M9.

have gigged happily with just the M9 tho.

5. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I sold my stomps, and dont miss them.It does take some tweeking, but the sounds are there.

6. crazycord

crazycord Member

I got rid of my delay mod and reverb pedals and there is no way I'm ever going back! The only thing I could see in the future is rack system or a tc g force but that happens to be double or triple the price of an M13

7. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i like my analog dirt pedals, and a couple of things like the rocketride asteroids chorus and mad professor tiny orange phase.

but the M9 can cover a LOT of stuff.

and i have done gigs with nothing BUt the M9.....and got a very acceptable tone!

8. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

I will be using my M9 for all my "digital needs" which include Tap Delays and Reverb. I will also use it as needed for Tap Tremolos and wacky modulations and filters that I don't often use.

I'll still eventually get an Analog Delay, Analog Tremolo, Analog Wah, Analog Phaser, and likely and Analog Vibe in the future, probably in that order. Although the main need for all of those is simply the need to be able to use my M9 for other things and not have to take up space on it for those subtle analog effects. The exception to that is the Vibe. I don't use it often currently, but if I ever find myself wanting to use it, I'd probably get a real photocell vibe. The M9 vibe doesn't sound real. Everything else is very convincing.

In closing, a compressor, a few dirtboxes, and the M9 is going to be all I need for now!

9. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I am really loving mine, but for now it's just being used with my valve junior for practice at home. I used it live one time, but wasn't happy with the drives. since then I've tweaked it more, so I'm happier with it. But if I was going to switch over to it I would have to bring at least one drive pedal with me (probably my OCD). If I had an amp that was everything I wanted from clean to dirt I think I would only use the M13 and if I did need another drive I could probably supplement with the drives on the M13. As it stands I'm seriously considering picking up another OCD, or a similar drive pedal and an expression pedal and setting those up with the M13 for an additional board. I could seriously see myself selling off my analog pedals, but I don't wanna do anything too soon. I need to know that I will be happy with my M13 for the long run. I picked up my pedals over a long period of time finding great deals all along the way and I don't want to have to put that much effort into rebuilding a board in 6 months if I were to decide the M13 isn't doing it for me.

10. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

It can replace some of your stomps and maybe even some rack pieces (delay, reverb, etc). In my church setup it replaced my rack delay (an Alesis Midiverb II) and my od and mod pedals. I still use a comp in front of it because I just like my comp pedals better than the internal ones but they are very useable. To me the mods, delays and looper are really where it's at for the M13/M9. But if I had to grab just the M13 and a combo and go do a gig it would be just fine and very simple to setup too. YMMV.

11. izzyizborn

izzyizborn Member

Thanks for the replies, all. What guitar player doesn't covet the holy grail of dirt boxes - as if it really exists. Primarily I get this from my boogies (LSS and Express 5:50). I'm really looking forward to hearing what all the mod effects sound like in the amp's loop. I may still try to hit the front of the amp with a comp/dirt/wah stage and see how palatable that is. Adding some spank or grit to the clean channel is definitely something I go for - hopefully it will get close.

I cannot believe the number of mods and delays offered. If they even get close, I can't see how this wouldn't be a slam-dunk. Hoping so, but I have to wait 'till Christmas to open.:mad:

Thanks again,
    Izzy

12. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Yeah, you'll be pretty psyched. The only thing I sold off so far was my DD-5, but I just dialed in a dirt setting that sounds identical to my DLS in Rawk, and have some great TS settings set up too, and that pretty much covers my dirt needs. I won't be selling anything else off till I have a few more rehearsals and gigs with the M9, but if it keeps going this way, I may end up selling off a few more stomps and upgrading to an M13.

13. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

Good point about the holy grail of dirt boxes. The M9 is absolutely capable of some very serviceable dirt, and to lots of guys it's not just good enough but perfectly adequate.

You're right about it being a slam dunk. I don't use the dirt (with one exception, see below) but even without using the dirt it's a slam dunk.

I have and do use the Tube Drive for some stuff and it does what I ask it to do. But the cool thing is, L6 designed this thing knowing full well that some players would pick and choose the effects they want to use and that it would sit happily next to other effects. And it does.

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I had (not all on the board all the time)

2 Delays, a Chorus, two gain pedals, a compressor, a wah, a volume pedal, a volume boost, a phaser, a tuner, and some other pedals (about 4 or 5) that I rotated when I was in the mood.

On my board now is the M13 and only one of the gains, the boost, and the compressor, and the tuner (BFTS offsets I need, otherwise I'd use the FANTASTIC tuner in the M13).

The stuff I sold paid for almost all the M13, and I gave away most of the rest.

So...

Yes. I kept my BB and I like my amps gain, but the gain in the M13 works great in a pinch, and I've done weekends with only the M13 and my amp. It really is that good.

15. almogaver

almogaver Member

In my case, I sold all my pedals after purchasing a M13. That was some months ago and I still don't regret it.

Anyway, I think that the decision about "M13 or single stomp boxes" - in the case that such question exists, as I think that the most common practice is to combine the M13/M9 with some stomp box - is more a question of 'feel' rather than 'tone'. I mean that tone wise the M13/M9 is awesome and it is loaded with tons of effects so it can replace almost every stomp in the market; it's more a question of considering which set-up you feel more comfortable with, and this is even a more personal matter than tone.

16. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I was playing earlier today and accidentally found some pretty good drive tones. I was trying to find a good comp and turned the knob the wrong way to the L6 Drive. Through my Liverpool into a FRFR speaker it was pretty awesome classic rock. Actually, it was everything I have been going for with my OCD through the Liverpool. I still like the FD2 with my LSS but I get most of my dirt from the amp (and its great) and just use the FD2 to push it. I've kept my some of my pedals on a PT-Mini but sold about $1,000 worth of modulation and delay and use the M13 exclusively at the back end of my signal chain.

17. musicmand

musicmand Member

Anybody considering throwing 2 of the M series pedals on a board? With 2 M9's, you could have 6 effects on at a time. You could have wah, dirt, compression on one board, and modulation, delay, reverb, etc on the other. Heck, throw one in your effects loop.

Obviously, it's out of the question for me now, but once the M9 hits $300 on the used market...

18. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

All my mods and delays got sold. It's my m13 + 1/2 gainer + budda wah.

19. getbent

getbent Member

all but a couple of pedals will be sold. m9 fo real.

20. theroan

theroan Member

I replaced 11 pedals with my M13. The M13 is meant to replace your board, where as the M9 is meant to go ON your board. The M13/M9 are awesome and get better with every update.