• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Line6 M13 Tips & Tricks (no reviews here)

StompBoxBlues

That other thread is getting so huge on the M13, and also all kinds of reviews and evaluations, etc. I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we just share usage, tips, tricks (there are quite a few in the original M13 thread also but the good ones maybe some folks like Jon could share here?

Would realy like to keep critiques out of here (unless they are pointes to things that don't work, etc.) and all...

So here is something I just found out about.

USING VOLUME PEDAL FOR EXPRESSION PEDAL:

1) The M13 (or mine) doesn't seem to like "instrument level" expression pedals (specifically my EB 250k volume pedal).

When I tried to calibrate to heel and toe (low and high levels for parameters) it worked weirdly...coming up and then dropping off. I don't see specs in the advanced manual, but....

2) The M13 works like a charm with my instrument level Volume pedal (EB 25k pot).

To use the 25k or a line level volume pedal you just connect normal cable to the vol pedal "OUT", and nothing else. You plug into one of the expression pedal ins (I used 1) and hold the looper switch down to get into the menu to enable these for any (or all) of the 4 effect types. It wasn't clean in the manual to me, but this is saved in THAT scene...so you can edit in another scene and enable expression pedal for effect 1 and 3 for example, go to another scene where maybe it is enabled for only effect 4, etc.

When you have that set up, you go to any effect enabled (for pedal 1 in this case) and put the volume pedal to heel, set the parameter where you want it, then set the volume pedal to toe, and adjust the same parameter to be what you want when toe.

HINT: it doesn't have to go UP only...meaning you can have a parameter sitting at "full on" with heel, and 1/3 on with toe...opposite of intuition...and extra hint, you can have any parameter connected to to it or several...this leads to my tip:

Tip EXP with OD: Instead of just using say as volume control on a OD (which is obvious use of it) I tried setting it so when I am at heel the gain is low BUT the output is high...then opposite so when it is at toe, the gain is high but the output is adjusted to be about the same volume as I had it with less gain.

Tip EXP with delay: Here again, I thought it was pretty cool to set it so when delay time is long, feedback and mix is slightly low, when delay time is shortened feedback increases and mic increases some. Kind of like a clumsy ducking feedback idea.

You can get into trouble with these :messedup as I tried a few effects at the same time and realized I hadn't thought it out well (volume control on the OD, but also delay mix...etc..) but another thing to remember is you can add a second exp pedal, and assign time delay and vibe, etc. to that, keep volume/gain things for the OD, etc.

These aren't really very clever tips, or anything, but I hope some of you with really great ones can add to this!

SBRocket

Platinum Supporting Member
I like to use the boost comp with the comp ratio all the way down, to hit the input of my amp harder. Before the M13, I used a serrano picoso to do that but the M13 boost comp works great. It stays on all the time and allows me to set the real input side level which to me is key to getting the amp to work right.

Steve

StompBoxBlues

Thanks SBR...this thread isn't really "taking off" all that much (which is fine) I think folks still mostly are posting everything about the M13 in the one thread, but it might be useful for someone later...even me (as I forget what I found out sometimes...)

In playing around the EXP pedal and pairing up parameters controlled by it (above I mention, and it is pretty cool I think, making so EXP at heel puts gain down but output UP, EXP at toe increasing gain but decreasing output so it is about the same...giving basically a constant volume/adjustable gain control. Pretty neat...

Except....

when you decide to go back to NOT controlling that, OR if you want to suddenly adjust bass what do you do? Anyone that has played with the EXP pedal on the M13 knows....IF you move the bass, suddenly you are telling the M13 "when the EXP pedal is here (wherever it currently is) move bass to this position"...which is NOT what you want...so how do you adjust other things and not lose the parameters you want controlled by the EXP pedal?

Simple, you unplug the EXP pedal while you adjust parameters you don't want adjusted by the pedal...set them where you want, then plug EXP back in. Same thing basically applies if you did my adjustable gain/compensating volume trick...but decided you only want to control output instead...you take out the EXP pedal, adjust gain where you want it, then plug back in, now it only adjusts output again.

SO, put more simply, ANY time you have the EXP pedal plugged in and adjust a parameter you are telling the M13 to control that parameter with EXP pedal. To make adjustments you want to just be there, unplug the EXP pedal when you make them.

ammalato

This thread has potential!

It's probably not what's being asked for, but I found that running a real overdrive box before the m13's dirt sounds really helps the Dirt sounds on the unit become more "alive". TO me their way to compressed sounding and flat. I set it up with a Wah and a Timmy in the effects loop just after effect 1. I also put an MXR Distortion III as the last pedal in the chain to act like a dirty channel if I'm playing on an amp without one.

creekhed1

I'll play...

IF you have an amp with
1. A SERIES effects Loop
2. Decent OD Channel

Then you can:
Run the 4 Cable method!

This allows you to accomplish some things that you could NOT do without running the 4CM. Set up your M13 so the Overdrives and Mods are running into the FRONT of your amp. Then Run the Delays and reverbs into the LOOP of your amp. Setting the M13 up this way will allow you to use the OD channel of your amp WITHOUT coloring the delay signal making for a MUUUUCH cleaner sound.
This my friends is THE ONLY WAY TO FLY!
Also, you can use the Tube Driver FX for more grit when soloing. Putting the BOOST COMP in FRONT of the Tube DRIVER works even better...but I like to keep the Compression down under 30% and the gain of the Boost Comp up to about 60%

The result is STUNNING! You basically end up with 3 different gain stages with sprkling delays and reverbs.
AMAZING.
I used to have a huge pedalboard with all types of Boutique pedals on it and I have SOLD EVERYTHING because the M13 just sounds SO MUCH NICER (if you set it up PROPERLY!).
The key to this whole thing is a SWEET AMPLIFIER. the M13 makes the Mesa Boogie just that much nicer.

Carry on!

Balok

Thanks SBR...this thread isn't really "taking off" all that much (which is fine) I think folks still mostly are posting everything about the M13 in the one thread, but it might be useful for someone later...even me (as I forget what I found out sometimes...)

In playing around the EXP pedal and pairing up parameters controlled by it (above I mention, and it is pretty cool I think, making so EXP at heel puts gain down but output UP, EXP at toe increasing gain but decreasing output so it is about the same...giving basically a constant volume/adjustable gain control. Pretty neat...

Except....

when you decide to go back to NOT controlling that, OR if you want to suddenly adjust bass what do you do? Anyone that has played with the EXP pedal on the M13 knows....IF you move the bass, suddenly you are telling the M13 "when the EXP pedal is here (wherever it currently is) move bass to this position"...which is NOT what you want...so how do you adjust other things and not lose the parameters you want controlled by the EXP pedal?

Simple, you unplug the EXP pedal while you adjust parameters you don't want adjusted by the pedal...set them where you want, then plug EXP back in. Same thing basically applies if you did my adjustable gain/compensating volume trick...but decided you only want to control output instead...you take out the EXP pedal, adjust gain where you want it, then plug back in, now it only adjusts output again.

SO, put more simply, ANY time you have the EXP pedal plugged in and adjust a parameter you are telling the M13 to control that parameter with EXP pedal. To make adjustments you want to just be there, unplug the EXP pedal when you make them.
However, until you save the scene, it resets all the exp pedal settings when you pull the plug. I would not exactly be heartbroken if L6 came up with a little better scheme for this in rev 3.
edit: you have to wait until power down to pull the expression cable. Also, plug it in before power up.
You can, for instance, edit the treble on a distortion pedal and remove it from CC by simply adjusting the max and min to be the same after you tweak it to where you want it.

Last edited:

Balok

When I first tried the L6 FM4, I thought the synths were too squirrelly and abrupt, and just not likely to get gig use. However, if you run a synth after a distortion patch, with the output of the synth right near zero, something magical happens.

Balok

Try 'colorful' from the filters, set with the mix low, in front of a distortion, for a really nice subtle wah that can also be left in place foe a nice mid sweetener.
I've wanted a mix control on my wah for years. Full strength is often too much to use very often. This way I can use it often for emphasis or coloration without being obvious.

pitseleh

I'm also really digging the boost comp model for hitting the front of my amp a bit harder. Does anyone know of any other ways to boost the signal, though? I'm happy with the boost comp, but mostly just curious. I noticed that turning the drive down and the output up on the overdrive models doesn't really seem to work like it would on a normal dirtbox.

Jarrett

However, until you save the scene, it resets all the exp pedal settings when you pull the plug. I would not exactly be heartbroken if L6 came up with a little better scheme for this in rev 3.
Can you clarify on this? Does this differ in autosave and manual save modes?

Balok

Can you clarify on this? Does this differ in autosave and manual save modes?
No. I've played with it some more and that doesn't seem to matter to the expression pedal settings.
edit: I don't know. My manual and auto save functions are a little inconsistent so far. I've had this a week and am just now getting the hang of much of it.
The CCs take a little practice but are fairly simple and powerful.

Last edited:

Balok

You can make most volume pedals, or even an old wah pedal, into a CC pedal by soldering a 10k-30k resistor across the pot terminals. This effectively places the existing resistance (250k, 500k, whatever) in parallel with your resistor (I used a 22k I had) to create a sum resistance of slightly less than whatever resistor you use. So in my case with a wah that I converted, I wound up with 22k in parallel with 470k (disconnecting all the wah circuit connections), for a total of a little less than 22k. The M13 accepts a range of at least 10k to 25k for CC function.
I also converted a Boss FV-50 to a CC pedal the same way.

Balok

How did you convert the FV-50? I have one too and would like to do the same to it.
open up
looking at the pcb that holds the main volume pot, you'll see 12 solder points, 6 above to the left, 6 lower to the right, all on the 1" by 1" green pcb.

3 4 .....x x

5 6 .....x x

...........x x

I put a 10k between 2 and 6. Then plug your cable into output 2.

sleepyone

This is a GREAT thread, very useful.
Does the mod on the FV50 allow the pedal to go full range on the parameters? like from 0 to 100? If it works just as good as a Line 6 would perform I'm buying one like RIGHT NOW and I'll perfom the mod on it :D

Balok

This is a GREAT thread, very useful.
Does the mod on the FV50 allow the pedal to go full range on the parameters? like from 0 to 100? If it works just as good as a Line 6 would perform I'm buying one like RIGHT NOW and I'll perfom the mod on it :D
I don't get a totally full range, but all the range I need. If you're buying a CC, there are some in the $20 range on fleabay.

twanguero

So when using the 4 cable method:

I'm running 4321. I want 2 and 1 through the amps loop and 4 and 3 to go through the front of the amp. Do I assign the fx loop on the M13 to be after 2 or after 3? I don't know if it takes the flipped signal path into account.

Trending Topics