Line6 MM4 U-Vibe Setting (Univibe)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vorvick, Mar 19, 2008.

1. vorvick

vorvick Member

Hey All:

Background:
    I get a lot of use out of some of the settings on the MM4, however I haven't clicked with the U-vibe. It's the only univibe-type effect I've had.

Problem:
    The way the MM4 U-vibe behaves (the sweep, or modulation, or what have you) doesn't behave like a lot of the clips I've heard here and on other manufacturers' webites. It's like a bicycle tire with a bulge in it - every the effect cycles through it "bumps."

Questions:
    1) Any suggestions on settings?
    2) Any discussion on the difference between the "bumping" MM4 verses more of a "throb" that I hear in other vibes?

V

2. gearboy

gearboy Member

I agree with you about the Vibe......but I'll be happy to trade patches with you!

3. vorvick

vorvick Member

Thanks GB: I just don't have a U-Vibe patch that I like.

Off topic, one of my favorites is the stereo ping-pong with the envelope follower the affects the speed of the bouncing tremolo. The hard you play, the faster it moves - and slows down as notes decay.

Have you had any luck w/the U-Vibe patch? (This is on the MM4 so I can't import/export like you can on a Pod, etc.)

4. vinney57

vinney57 Member

The Vibe on the MM sucks I'm afraid. Not a lot you can do about it. Probably the weakest emulation in the unit.

5. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

If you think outside the box a little with the vibe patch, and use it in a different manner, it can be pretty interesting. As a Hendrix/Trower/bloozhero vibe it blows.

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

kldeongan....can you elaborate?

7. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Don't get me wrong, it's passable, but I tend to turn all the knobs the wrong way and see what happens... For a classic Vibe sound, I'll take my Vibe Unit any day. I just mean that there's SOMETHING to be done with any sound. Sonically, it can sometimes be more interesting than a straight up vibe sound. I have mine at the end of the effects chain... set it fairly slow, set the depth so that it sounds a little watery and then add a volume swell and some sort of filter (like a wah) and things can get pretty interesting... Halfway synth-sounding.

Like a Tom Waits record or something... Sometimes the broken, shite sounds are the perfect ones. That's why I have pawn shop acoustics, lap steel amps with blown speakers, so on and so on.

8. vorvick

vorvick Member

Thanks!
    bump for more discussion

Questions:
    1) Any suggestions on settings?
    2) Any discussion on the difference between the "bumping" MM4 verses more of a "throb" that I hear in other vibes?

9. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

What I found frustrating is that a vibe sounds better run before your dirt boxes and most of the other effects sound better run after the dirt boxes (give or take 1 or 2 of the models). I don't remember the characteristics enough to comment on them but I can tell you I wasn't really floored with the sound of the Vibe setting. I believe it was passable for the most part.

10. black_manta

black_manta Member

I've achieved passable results by turning down the mix and the intensity to 60% or lower. This gives a more even sweep than the "thunk" that occurs with the stock setting. I'm using it in my fx loop and for clean/semi clean sounds.

11. vorvick

vorvick Member

Thanks Manta! I'll give that a try.

V

12. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

+1 !

13. Steven

Steven Member

I think thats just the nature of the beast. Some modulation effects sounds best before the dirt and some after.

As for the MM4 I thinkt the Univibe is simply not very good. The Univibe, Leslie and the Vibratone was big disapointments for me. I use the Modfactor now and now I´m very pleased with those effects.