Line6 not supporting Apple anymore?? Is Native a dying product?

fuzzyoctaves

Sorry if the title is a bit hyperbolic, but they made this announcement about not supporting Big Sur eight fricking months ago: https://line6.com/support/announcement/104-macos-11-compatibility-with-line-6-software/

I am particularly interested in running Native on an M1. No word for eight months is indicative of a product they no longer wish to support. Without Native, the Helix ecosystem is just a lower tiered offering (IMO).

I would expect smaller companies taking some time to get their **** together, but I expect way more from a big player like Line6/Yamaha. I bought line6 because I thought it would be well supported...

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Big Sur support will coming in not too long. M1 support will be a little longer...

I will say that Line 6 is hardly alone when it comes to M1 support. I have an M1 Mac Mini, and there’s still a number of companies I’m waiting for. Izotope is the biggest one for me, personally. They have released updates that are Big Sur compatible, but they aren’t M1 compatible yet. M-Audio is another one. I can’t really use my one controller yet or any of the VIP synth stuff yet, either.

Native currently works in Reaper on my M1, it’s just that the interface is slow. I have a few other plug-ins that act that way, too. The M1 stuff is major change for

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Yep...they have been working on the Big Sur update. Not sure why it's taking such a long time, maybe because they're working on the M1 support in tandem, but I'm not a developer so don't know the specifics. From my end, I've had no issues with the editor or updates provided I keep the Line 6 window active. If I select other windows it will drop the connection to the device.

Silver Supporting Member
I'm glad it's being worked on. It would be such a blunder for any company in this market to quit supporting Apple's OS. I would never believe Line 6 to be that shortsighted.

Hm, Helix Native is running fine on my Intel iMac with Big Sur. Are there any known issues that I am not aware of?

However, I am absolutely annoyed how painfully slow audio software companies - Line 6 included - are moving forward with native support for M1 computers. I am planning to buy an Apple Silicon iMac as soon as they become available and I will not spend a single Cent on software (and hardware, too) anymore that’s not ready for M1 without Rosetta translation.

Last edited:

Rewolf

Is it fair to blame the music companies for not being able to port their software to run natively on new processors?

I very much doubt that they write machine code, so they’re all dependent on their compilers being reworked to run real-time optimised processing on the new chips.

Which brings it back to Apple not providing it fault free to the developers they expect to provide the software.

AZG

Silver Supporting Member
Is it fair to blame the music companies for not being able to port their software to run natively on new processors?

I very much doubt that they write machine code, so they’re all dependent on their compilers being reworked to run real-time optimised processing on the new chips.

Which brings it back to Apple not providing it fault free to the developers they expect to provide the software.
Overloud TH-U has been Apple Silicon compatible for months, so clearly developers have had the tools available to support Apple Silicon for a good while. Whether developers headed the warnings and got onboard quickly was their choice.

LaXu

Overloud TH-U has been Apple Silicon compatible for months, so clearly developers have had the tools available to support Apple Silicon for a good while. Whether developers headed the warnings and got onboard quickly was their choice.
Just because some companies manage it does not mean others can just as easily. They may rely on things like 3rd party libraries or frameworks that are not yet compatible so they can’t do anything but wait.

The best solution as an end user is to not buy a new first gen Apple product. The one coming this fall is most certainly going to be better in every way and you will have less compatibility concerns.

godoq1

Even, Helix native 3.1 has been released, but it still doesn't support Big Sur OS.
AU Plugin is still laggy in lots of common DAWs. (Intel Mac. Just except Logic Pro)
Only HX edit supports Big sur. After 6+ months of waiting, Is it time to find another guitar plug-in?

Silver Supporting Member
The release notes state that Helix Native now supports Big Sur. Is it not true?

Aahzz

Even, Helix native 3.1 has been released, but it still doesn't support Big Sur OS.
AU Plugin is still laggy in lots of common DAWs. (Intel Mac. Just except Logic Pro)
Only HX edit supports Big sur. After 6+ months of waiting, Is it time to find another guitar plug-in?

Direct quote from the release notes:
  • HX Edit and Helix Native now add support for macOS 11 Big Sur

Also from the release notes, issues section:
  • Helix Native's performance can be laggy in new M1-based Apple computers

godoq1

Direct quote from Native download page.
  • HX Edit now adds support for macOS 11 Big Sur
  • Compatible OS: Mac OS X, macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra, macOS Mojave, macOS Catalina

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member

Native supports Big Sur. M1 support is yet to come.

Have you tried updating it yet?

godoq1

Native supports Big Sur. M1 support is yet to come.

Have you tried updating it yet?

Yes. I've tried Native 3.1. but It didn't solve my problem at all. I thought this problem would be a problem of DAW or AU Host, but only AU Plugin of Helix native has this problem. I have created a Line6 ticket last month and they said " Currently our team is looking into this issues with compatibility and they have not released a qualified version yet. So you will need to wait for the upcoming update to make a determination if the software is giving you the same behavior. " and i updated ticket today.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom