Line6 PC+ 2.0 update

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by bdrepko, Jul 18, 2019.

1. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Anyone heard the new speaker models in the 2.0 update yet? Is there any improvement on the existing models?

2. Aquinas

Aquinas Silver Supporting Member

Just the new models. The existing ones are the same.

I like the EV and Jensen models a lot. Haven't had enough time with it to tell on the more British-voiced ones.

bdrepko likes this.
  3. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

In my brief experience, the new speakers are awesome, I am liking the mesa C90, Jenson C12K, Eminence Cannabis Rex and the two new Celestion as well. Heck that's 5 out of 6 of the new comers, I am not sure how to feel about the EV yet, but obviously I need to spend a bit more time with them :)

bdrepko likes this.
  4. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Member

The G12H55 is killer. Pairs perfectly for me to new Fender circuits.

bdrepko likes this.
  5. drew365

drew365 Member

The new speaker sims in 2.0 was a real surprise. I was hoping we'd get some new sims and would have been disappointed if we didn't, but I didn't expect six. Being able to select the speaker sims in the Helix patch is just so nice. I feel like I got a new toy.

6. Aquinas

Same - too busy playing around to actually comment much!

Mark Al likes this.
  7. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

What is sucking me in....
    I have a Cannabis Rex and an EVM12L

8. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

.... can someone be so nice and make a side by side comparison between the new PC+ speaker models and a real speaker in a real 1x12 cab. I made it with a 1x12 vintage 30 loaded cab and the v30 speaker model on PC+ and ai found the real one to has more low mids.... but is the only real cab at house....

9. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

Cab dimensions, construction, and cab style will make big differences in tone. I imagine it would be hard to find a passive cab that is the same dimension, build style and materials as the Powercab which means the comparison wasn't really comparing the same things.

DaveDaveDave and Aquinas like this.
  10. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

I understand that, I dont look for the exact tone... but would be interesting to hear what could think someone able to make this and compare one modeled speaker versus the real one in the same room...

11. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

Today I was able to play at home at gigs levels. I have 2 PC+ connected by L6link to my Helix. I feel that the whole thing sounds better (placebo?).... I think that all models were revisited, for instance the Jarvis speaker model was the worst sounding model (to my taste) before the update, now it is one of my prefered models. The FRFR and LF Flat modes seems more natural sounding to me.
    The update was flawless and the remote from helix is awesome.
    Im still trying to make mode changes by snapshots... for example.... snapshot 1 model LF flat.... snapshot 2 speaker model mode: greenback.... I dont know if anyone can try this? At the same time, I had no luck listen music from PC desktop in stereo with Helix shut down, I mean, selecting PC+ as output in Win10.
    Anyway, the whole setup is awesome! And I feel there was a lot of improvement in the sound department under the hood.
    (Sorry my poor english)

12. Aquinas

For snapshot control, it is far easier to use HX Edit - and in HX Edit, it is the same process as controlling any other parameter. I'm sure it is doable on the unit - in fact, I just tried, same deal, just select the output block and configure like any other parameter, though with the caveat that you have to use the "Page Buttons" to move to the correct page, and [for some reason] there is no indication of this (paging @Digital Igloo - no indication of pages on output block, really?) - but it is still easier to do with HX Edit...

I had no issue assigning the output of my Mac to the PowerCab with both it and the Helix connected over USB, but knowing Windows audio quirks compared to CoreAudio, there is every chance you are having a driver issue there.

EDIT: No, there is an indication of the pages, it just isn't very obviously visible because of the grey color of the interface on the input/output blocks. So, no problem there, just a minor interface quirk. Eric, ignore me!

patriciogac likes this.
  13. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

I was refering to Hx Edit. Sorry I didnt mention that. I can change between speaker models from different snapshots, but I cant change between different modes, ie speaker mode to flat mode, etc

14. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

What would be very cool would be to use the PC+ editor through the helix usb to the PC+ via the 2 way communication route of the L6 Link cable, and PC+ fw updates as well. My helix is close to my desktop computer, the PC+ a few feet away is a stretch to reach with a typical usb cable. You have the digital communication path now.... Unless it's already available and I just haven't found it yet, but don't think so...

15. Aquinas

Ah, on that you seem to be correct, unless I'm missing something (@Digital Igloo once again) - and that is a big oversight, especially for those of us who use a Variax and acoustic models! It could be done in the MIDI implementation, so I have to think it was probably thought of as a "corner case", or just overlooked.

One workaround right now is to use IR's (perhaps one of LRS's "PC" designed IR's?) instead of the internal speaker models on presets that require disabling, and have a "blank IR" to snapshot to for "Flat Mode". Far from ideal, I know, but it is something that would work!

Just like a Variax plugged into the Helix, in other words - this would indeed be cool, but as I understand the L6 Link protocol, may be difficult to implement...

Also, not really necessary, as the only thing the PC+ editor can really do that the Helix can't control is actually load IR's onto the PC+...

16. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

Seems I saw a HF driver level trim parameter for the FRFR Flat mode in the editor, or maybe just in the midi CC's in the PC Pilot's Guide. Been looking at a lot of stuff lately, but all that's available on the unit itself or the helix control of it in 2.80 is LF and HF roll off frequencies like in the helix cabs and IR blocks.

I don't know the inner workings of the L6 Link protocols, so may well not be possible, but would be nice if do-able.

17. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

I have a pair of PC+ and a Helix.
    Well, I must say this... I dont know what specific sound or Eq they did to PC+ in this firmware, but if it sounds great before, now sound AMAZING!!
    I think FRFR and LF flat mode sounds super natural sounds.... thats the modes I lesd enjoy before..... I have the feeling that all the speaker models were revisited, and now they sound fuller and natural.
    Right now Im missing only a couple of things:

1. Ability to play stereo content from my desktop win10 with 1 usb cable (and the stereo signal splits on both L6link connected PC+ ). This means that when a pair of PC+ are L6 linked, they act as one by the usb connection. This could give us the ability to control both PC at the same time (to load IRs for example, or those who have another modeler)
    2. One PcEdit instance that recognize two PC+ connected by L6link and access to them. Right now if I want to load IRs on both PC+ I have to connect one first, then disconnect it and connect the 2nd PC+ by USB ( I try connecting both PC+ at the same time by 2 USB cables, but PC Edit recognized only one of them.
    3. The same as below, but total control over PC via Helix and L6Link, I mean, load IRs in to one or both PC+, read the names of the IR that are loaded. I missed the possibility of change MODES via snapshot (IR mode to speaker or Flat mode,etc)
    4. MORE speakers modeled, because this is the future for me..... and try to model the interaction between those speakers and the amp itself for example, the impedances, cab resonance,etc, and all you can imagine that could be modeled for this platform. A Fane speaker, a g12t-75, a g12-65, Celestion v and A type, celestion gold, classic lead 80!!

Keep developing !!! Thank you

KWR, LordByron and Guitarzman like this.
  18. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I noticed the same thing. I have a preset where I go back and forth between acoustic and electric guitar with a Variax. However I could not seem to set the speaker the FRFR for the Acoustic and a speaker sim for the electric with snapshots. Seems like they missed what to me is a pretty common thing to want to do.

KWR and LordByron like this.
  19. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

I would like to humbly ask if anyone knows who in Line6 is in charge of PC + development. It would be very interesting to communicate with him or her through this forum and convey the concerns and contributions of our community to the development of this magnificent piece. I think that frequent updates can take the PC + to the gold standard level in terms of speaker modeling, and there is still a long way to go, so the more fluid this communication, the better.

20. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

I have 2 PC+ in stereo via L6link. Another thing I found is that I can load 2 different speaker models on each of them (lecto in one, dino in the other, for example), but I cant load 2 different modes on each other (dino in one PC+ and a IR file in the other for example).