• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line6 UX1 - noise gate defect?

Lele

I have a Line6 UX1. After suffering because of a lot of background random cracks/noises/hiss now it seems I found out how to improve that: turning off the wifi card, and updating the graphic card drivers.

But now I have another major problem. I use a guitar with medium-low output pickups, and there is a kind of fixed noise gate cutting the guitar signal when it's low. And I can't use a lot the guitar volume control, because even if the amp vst have good dynamics, I hear a kind of discountinuous signal coming out of the UX1 and into the pc! I can't see any option about noise gate on that usb interface.

Do you have the same problem? Any suggestion?

Last edited:

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
There is a noise gate effect in POD Farm. If it's on it should show up in your tone. You can either remove it altogether, or you can try adjusting the threshold.

Lele

Phil, it's not a matter of a software noise gate. I don't use the pod farm software, and I have the same problem with any vst amp. I mean, the sound card works, but as soon as I reduce just a little the volume (with the guitar pot control) I start getting that defect on the tail of the sound.

I know that my guitar has a low output, because I hear it when I compare mine with another guy in the band, so I need more gain. But for example with my Digitech RP500 there is no problem at all. And I can reduce the (guitar) volume till close to zero and I get the typical lighter and cleaner tone without suffering any cut. On the contrary with the UX1 it seems I only should play "loud" and "louder"...

As to a better guitar interface... well maybe Ksandvik you're right. But my budget is low, and honestly I'm afraid I could have the same problem with another card.
I see that in the forum some people use (and praise) the Tascam US-122MKII. In Italy it is easily available, and rather inexpensive. But will I get the same defect with a low output guitar?!?

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
If you open the program called "Line 6 Audio-MIDI Control Panel", there is an 18db boost available in there that should give you a higher recording level.

Are you running the latest drivers?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom