Link for making a new grill?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by PEImatrix, Feb 23, 2009.

1. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

I'm buying an Avatar 2x12 that has a metal grill, and I was hoping to build a more traditional one, since I already have the cloth. Anyone have a link for a how to? It's mostly the joints I'm wondering about.

Thanks.

2. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

I guess the SF fender grill frame was usually made from 1 piece of plywood or MDF.

3. CopperTop

CopperTop Member

My Avatar 2x12 (Traditional Model) just uses butt joints and (I think) 1 - 1 1/2" furring strips (sp?) for the grill cloth frame.

Once you get the cab just measure the inside dimensions of the grill and the depth to the baffle(leave yourself around a 1/4" for the reveal lip so you don't rip the grill cloth when transporting / moving it about).

Make a frame and stretch your cloth. That's how I would go about it

( I would measure mine for you, but I am at work right now. Dave at Avatar may also be able to give you the dims, give them a ring.)

4. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

Thanks! I was wondering if I could just rip some pine, and join it rather than buying a half sheet of plywood.

I'll send Avatar an email later but their site is down right now, and I don't have their email.

5. CopperTop

CopperTop Member

Site is up for me

You can call them at 208.762.5251 9-4 Pacific Time

or sales@avatar.com

(I would call though..probably get a quicker response)