Link Wray....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dirtytony, Apr 28, 2007.

1. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

...I've only recently discovered this great artist, can some1 tell me with which guitar/amp/fx is "rumble" recorded?? there's also a great tremolo at the end... great guitarist

2. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

He punched holes in the speaker cone to get the distortion sound. True story.

cjm254 and hippieboy like this.
  3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

One of a kind. A real maverick.
    RIP

Sam Xavier and Mr_Derp like this.
  4. chris_d

chris_d Member

Link Wray is great. From the classic instrumentals to the Three Track Shack rock stuff(that Guitar Preacher comp is pretty rad) and beyond.

He was actually pretty punk, in a way. I missed him when he came around here the last time, but some friends went and came back all raves.

Definitely a rock'n'roll classic. :)

-chris

tawtaw and Davin Kuntze like this.
  5. Tiki7

Tiki7 Member

Link used a 1953 Premier 71 Amp. The 71 has a 12" Jensen Field-Coil speaker and 2 - 3" Jensens. He poked holes in the small speakers to emulate the distortion he'd get when he'd crank the amp at gigs. Supposedly he used a 53 Les Paul Goldtop but there seems to be indications that he might have used his late 50's Supro Dual-Tone. The tremolo is from the amp. He bought that exact amp specifically for the tremolo. It was one of the few amps at the time that had it built-in. You can actually hear him reach over and turn it full up towards the end. Awesome.

Tiki
    Link Wray is God.

indeedido likes this.
  6. 6789

6789 Member

I read an interview in which Link said he used a Les Paul on Rumble.

7. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thanks a lot for the infos

8. BobbyFudge

BobbyFudge Member

9. daveg777

daveg777 Member

AWESOME! I love the Link!!! Punk rock pioneer? DAMN fine rocker!!!

Dave

:dude

Sam Xavier likes this.
  10. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I long time ago we went to see Link Wray in a club in NJ in Feb. It was snowing out and Freezing in the club. (Could see your breath). There were tables set up and we sat right in front of him and only 25 people in the room.

He comes out in a full black leather coat hair slicked back and shades. He was a tall guy and very impressive looking to say the least. He winds up and ripps through a set blaring loud, stomping around the stage like a wild man. We spoke with him after the show, great guy.

I will never forget that sight or that sound. I loved that guy. Nothing like it left in Rock and Roll.

tawtaw, Maggot and guitarslinger21 like this.
  11. Craise

Craise Member

I saw him right before he died in Atlanta...
    He was using a Strat and a Fender Twin cranked...
    He was great...but somewhat out of it...
    He played the Batman theme three times! (I don't think he remembered that he had already played it!)

12. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I'll add to the confusion on the guitar used on RUMBLE. I have also read that it was a Supro Dual-tone on the original recording.
    He re-recorded this song many, many times, so that may add further confusion to the mythology. To me, the original recording is the benchmark.

That song blows me away! One of the defining and most influential songs of the 50's, in my most humble opinion.

13. Antero

Antero Member

14. jellyroll

jellyroll Member

OK what the hell guitar was that??!? Link is amazing. Saw him 10 years ago or so and he was absolutely brilliant. True legend for me.

15. Tiki7

Tiki7 Member

THAT guitar is "Screaming Red". A 1966 Yamaha SG-2. He found that in a pawn shop in the late 70's. He started using that after the SG. Funny thing about that guitar is he had one of the first 60s Gibson Firebirds but it got damaged (smashed to bits, more like it). He put the tuners from the Firebird on the Yamaha.

Here's my Link tribute...

[​IMG]

Tiki
    Link Wray Is God

massacre and Sam Xavier like this.
  16. jellyroll

jellyroll Member

Thanks, and great guitars and amp!!! That yamaha sounds great, and stays in tune even with heavy bar use?!!!

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

Saw him right before he died. Stratocaster, compressor (MXR I think), Fender Super Reverb. Compressor was cranked.

18. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Great player... I don't think I'd advise taking a pencil to your speakers, though...

19. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

I'll never punch my cones thats sure but Link was great... when I've done this topic I was pretty sure it was a Fender amp but it seem that he has used a Premier one... I dont know this brand I'll do some search...

20. john

john Member

I saw link about 8 or 9 years ago in a small club. He was still playing through a Marshall half stack turned away from the audience and that red guitar. His bass player and drummer both looked like teenagers, but they were total maestros. His stuff sounded almost like heavy metal! After the show he hung out with his wife and signed autographs and chatted with fans, smiling the whole time.

john

Sam Xavier likes this.