• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Lipstick Pup in Strat. Where?

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
I came by a GFS lipstick pickup for a Strat. I have a Chinese Squier Strat with swimming pool route that can take pretty much anything in the way of pickups and I feel like experimentin'. If you were to put a lipstick pickup in a Strat where would you put it? Why? I have my own ideas but I'd liek to hear some others...

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I have a set of the Seymour Duncan Lipstick pickups that I had in a now long gone strat - I loved the pickups but not the guitar so I sold it. I've been meaning to put them in another guitar, someday...

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of the Seymour Duncan Lipstick pickups that I had in a now long gone strat - I loved the pickups but not the guitar so I sold it. I've been meaning to put them in another guitar, someday...
Was there a particular position that thought suited the lipstick pickup well?

Matt L

I have a set of Duncan Designed lipstick tubes from a Squier VM Surf Strat, and they sound fantastic. I also had a set of those GFS Protubes, with a stacked lipstick tube humbucker in the bridge in another Strat. I much prefer the Duncans, but there may be other factors that influenced the tone, obviously.

Anyways, if I had just a single lipstick tube, I would probably stick it in the middle. Sounds great by itself or split w/ the neck or bridge. Great quack, if you like that tone. Depends what you're pairing it up with and what style you're gonna be using it for.

harpinon

I put a set of 3 Guitar Fetish pups in a MIM strat. Sounded fantastic.
Still had plenty of low end thump in the neck pup.
I can't say there was a huge difference in tone though. Its still sounded just like a strat.

diego

I had a mini-hum/lipstick/tele combo I liked... it was nice in the middle...

jbp

Silver Supporting Member
Bridge or middle. Bridge sounds like a mixture of a Tele and a Gretsch. Middle is unlike anything else. The neck position was WAY too hollow for me - sounded more like position 4.

(I've got the SD set BTW. Love it overall.)

stratmaniac

You could meter that pickup and see what it's reading...GFS Pro Tubes came in 4.9, 6 and 8K versions I believe, ideally for neck, middle, and bridge respectively. Also, the 6K was reverse-wound for noise cancelling when put in the middle.

I have Duncan lipsticks in a couple guitars and have a reissue Dano. I had a set of the Pro Tubes in another strat a couple of years ago. They didn't sound like the Duncans or Danelectros to me, but they were cool in their own right. I might even put them back into something now that you've got me thinking...

EdMan57

I have a Seymour Duncan Lipstick calibrated set in my humble Cort S400 that sounds and looks great.For some reason I did not like the pickups nearly as much when they were loaded in my '95 AmStand Strat.I'm thinking that the cheaper,lighter agathis body of the Cort just works better with the lipsticks than with the heavier alder body of the Strat.

Ed

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Was there a particular position that thought suited the lipstick pickup well?
It's been a long tome since I've had them in a guitar but I seem to remember liking al positions. They were also exceptionally quacky.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I'd go for the bridge because I prefer the neck position sigle coil on most stratocasters and would want one in between position with the regular single coils, especially if they are rw/rp. So the bridge, which is the least used postion w/strat pickups for me is the one left.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom