Lipstick Tube pu's and pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by chaz_vibrato, Sep 1, 2008.

1. chaz_vibrato

chaz_vibrato Member

I wanna try some of these Lipstick tube pu's from Guitar Fetish in my SX Tele copy. What potentiometers should I use? 250k or 500k ohms?

Generally single coils use 250k and 'buckers use 500k, right? These lipstick tubes style are low output pu's so is 250 the "right" value pot?

I'm not an electronics tinkerer by any stretch so any ideas will be appreciated. thanks.

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

I would email the folks at Guitar Fetish and ask them. Many of the old Dano lipsticks can be terribly shrill when using 250k, and work much better with 100k. These aren't old Dano pickups though, so I don't what load they work best with.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have a Dano 59 reissue. I have the +/-4K stock neck pup and put a 6K GFS in the bridge. It has 250 K Alpha pots & sounds great!

edit: GFS does have 3 different output levels of "Pro Tubes" lipsticks.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  4. Tinman

Tinman Member

I have a baritone with three GFS lipsticks. I used 250K and it sounds very good, not shrill at all. The GFS lipsticks are quite a bit hotter than Danos I believe.

5. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

I had a set of GFS pro-tubes in a strat for awhile. They sounded fairly warm to me with the stock 250 k pots, and fairly low output - I'm guessing this is at least partly due to the A2 magnets in them. Never played vintage Dano's to compare, though.