Lipsticks or Charlie Christian?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 74vibrolux, Apr 14, 2015.

1. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Supporting Member

Building my own version of a Jaguar and looking for some pickup input. I have the single coil/humbucker/p90 world covered. I'd like something articulate and clear with a lot of character. I'm trying to decide between a CC style and Lipsticks.

I'll be doing "jazzy" type tones to Tom Verlaine Television style tones to fuzzed out Sonic Youth and Marc Ribot/Nels Cline kind of stuff.

Thoughts? Help? Anyone have experience with either?

2. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

Sounds to me like you'd want good old Jaguar pickups.

Personally, I love me some Jag pups... and these days, it's about all Marc Ribot plays. The last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play, he's been exclusively on his Jaguar. Verlaine and Cline, on the other hand, are all about the Jazzmaster pickup..

so maybe a JM/JAG/JM configuration to cover all of them? or JM/JAG/JAG? I've always wanted a guitar with a config like that.. maybe even my next one.

IMHO, I don't think you'll nail any of those players' sounds with CC or lipsticks, as much as I dig those pickups too. Frisell has some CC pickups on his Rick Kelly tele, but he only pulls that out occasionally.

Have you thought about gold foils? Maybe a GF/JAG/GF?

3. e???

e??? Member

I think CC's are really cool unique pickups. Bold, loud, clear, and kinda p90-ish except without the grit. I've never liked lipsticks. CC's would be really cool for jazz. Not so sure about Television and sonic youth, not too familair with those bands.

4. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Supporting Member

I had thought about Gold Foils. It's just such a mixed bag of tones out there. Verlaine rocked the lipsticks, Ribot has been on his Jag so much. Nels is ... well ... Nels. But they've all dabbled in the CC world. Just has me curious.

I just want big, bold clarity with a nice round sound that can roll off tone well or handle some moments of fuzzy freakout.

5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

CC pickups are noisy, so take that into consideration.
    One pickup that's unexpectedly in that vein, however, is the Duncan SM3 mini humbucker. Inside, it's built more like a CC with a bottom magnet and steel blades rather than bar magnet blades like a regular firebird.
    They sound nice and lively when full and could be a dead ringer for a much quieter CC when split.

http://youtu.be/nUWw-W8sehc