• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Liquid Tension Experiment 3 - New Track & Preorder!

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
Any word of this being a door to a DT reunion?
Petrucci discussed that idea at length when his solo album with Portnoy came out a bit ago. From what I can tell it is likely never happening even if Mangini gets hit by a bus.

Did he mention why that is?

I’m guessing because it would mean tossing Mangini out for no other reason than “we want the old guy back”. Portnoy made his decision years ago and the band moved on. I would love to have Portnoy back in the band but it wouldn’t be fair to kick MM out and bring MP back and I’m sure the band feels the same. He gave up his teaching career and dropped everything to join.

Last edited:

83stratman

The quote I was responding too said it was unlikely even if Mangini died. If he was passed there would be no one to offend. Your response then becomes meaningless in context.

I’m guessing because it would mean tossing Mangini out for no other reason than “we want the old guy back”. Portnoy made his decision years ago and the band moved on. I would love to have Portnoy back in the band but it wouldn’t be fair to kick MM out and bring MP back and I’m sure the band feels the same.

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't think it's a mystery to anybody who has followed the situation. Ignoring the intra band squabbles and whatnot, it's a classic creative differences issue which likely wouldn't be solved by him going back. IMO both parties are better off and I'd even go as far as to say that he should have left way earlier.

Anyway, the end result of that is that we are now talking about LTE3, which is completely delightful regardless of what DT is doing.

The quote I was responding too said it was unlikely even if Mangini died. If he was passed there would be no one to offend. Your response then becomes meaningless in context.

Uh obviously Petrucci didn’t say that quote and it was meant by @msquared as an exaggerated example of how unlikely Portnoy is to come back to the fold. I don’t doubt they would at least consider it if Mangini were to leave the band, the only other alternative would be to audition and select yet another drummer...but the decision to leave was Mike’s and he’s gotta own it.

Kind of a blessing in disguise though, since Flying Colors is freaking amazing :).

ryanscott6

Silver Supporting Member
I think Labrie still has a massive beef with Portnoy, so he'll probably stand in the way of any possible reunion. But honestly, these guys are not spring chickens anymore, touring can't be easy on them. The amount of money they'd make from a Portnoy reunion would be considerably more than the having MM stay aboard so I could see that happening in the next few years.

musicman1

I don’t think having mike portnoy back would net DT any more coin. DT does and has done really well for itself and it’s current lineup. Mangini is a beast and he s fully ensconced in the band. He s been there quite a while now so portnoys ship has sailed. Frankly they need a better singer if anything.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
That was excellent! I have the first 2 albums and enjoy them, although I haven't listened to them in quite a while.

I really liked Petrucci's lead playing here, moreso than the last couple/few DT albums.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom