• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

List of guitars made by World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd, Korea

scolfax

I never realized just how many companies had guitars made by World Musical Instrument Co in Korea. There are some clues in these two videos:

This is my list so far, does anyone know any more?

B.C. Rich
Chapman
Dean
Gretsch
LTD
Line6
PRS SE
Schecter

Last edited:

markflo

I got the chance to try the norseman and the ghostfret models from an endorsee friend. They're well built guitars. Stable necks, can't say anything bad about the fit and finish. The only thing was they were a little on the heavier side.

Guitarworks

So it really comes down to how much of their own money the guitar company owners are willing to kick in, donate or contribute up front to ensure that their Asian-made guitars will be good, great, or super....because the company won't be able to charge the end consumer for that money and reclaim it on the back end while still staying under the expected price point. Makes sense.

Lewguitar

I spent part of the day yesterday hanging at Robb's Music in Boulder trying out import PRS guitars. Played some nice ones. Beautifully finished. Nice frets.

But none had the same bounce and lively feel of my made in the USA PRS Custom 22's.

I wonder why?

Seriously. Why?

It's not just a matter of the plugged in tone...that coyuld be fixed with better pickups.

It's that acoustically, they didn't have that bounce where you play some notes or chords and you "feel" the note bouncing back at you.

Is it the bridge, bridge studs, bridge inserts? Different nut material?

What is it?

xzacx

And based on the list, I wonder how legitimate it is to say something like, Dean's suck but PRS SE's are great. Does this prove they are more or less the same in quality?
No. Because they each also have models made in other countries, as well as PRS setting up their guitars in the U.S.

scolfax

No. Because they each also have models made in other countries, as well as PRS setting up their guitars in the U.S.
I guess I should have been more specific, I meant guitars from the same factory.

But good point about the setup. I found this video of a PRS guy setting up an SE:

TTBZ

What is it?
Preconceptions of the differences in quality between the cheaper vs more expensive guitar? Would you be able to tell in a blind test?

Personally I don't really buy into the expensive guitars game. Ok so I do have a Gibson SG which i like but honestly my Epi LP sounded and played better than the gibson (and most other gibsons I've tried tbh) and was probably a third of the price. I appreciate you get lemons at either end of the spectrum but going off my experiences, there's nothing you can do with an expensive guitar that you can't do with a lower end one with a good setup and pickups.

Lewguitar

Preconceptions of the differences in quality between the cheaper vs more expensive guitar? Would you be able to tell in a blind test?
Absolutely.

Maybe not if you were demoing them but if I were holding and playing my PRS USA Custom 22 and then comparing it to a PRS SE?

Yes. In a heartbeat. :D

I could tell the difference whether the guitar was plugged in or unplugged.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I've always thought the Korean Schecters were very nice playing inexpensive guitars. Interesting to know where they're made!
They're from World Music.. My only complaint on the ones I owned were that the finish was poly and was Really thick.. Really hurt the sound. The build quality and stability were way better than my Gibsons though

mfranzdorf

I spent part of the day yesterday hanging at Robb's Music in Boulder trying out import PRS guitars. Played some nice ones. Beautifully finished. Nice frets.

But none had the same bounce and lively feel of my made in the USA PRS Custom 22's.

I wonder why?

Seriously. Why?

It's not just a matter of the plugged in tone...that coyuld be fixed with better pickups.

It's that acoustically, they didn't have that bounce where you play some notes or chords and you "feel" the note bouncing back at you.

Is it the bridge, bridge studs, bridge inserts? Different nut material?

What is it?
Very good questions you have thre. The other day I was playing a few guitars. Picked up an Indonesian Jackson Soloist and it played fine. Mexican DK1 Jackson...same thing. Very fine guitar. Against my better judgement I tried a USA Soloist. Flat blew the others away. I could instantly just feel the quality. Weird.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
I never realized just how many companies had guitars made by World Musical Instrument Co in Korea. There are some clues in these two videos:

This is my list so far, does anyone know any more?

Chapman
Dean
ESP
PRS SE
Schecter
Line6

cwz

And based on the list, I wonder how legitimate it is to say something like, Dean's suck but PRS SE's are great. Does this prove they are more or less the same in quality?
I don't think you can say all guitars from WMI are the same quality. You can say that they are equally built to the provided specs. Depends on what the brand is specifying.

Hardware and electronics are obvious areas where lower cost items could be used. Internal wiring, fretwire quality, amount or degree of sanding and finish application, CNC tool replacement schedule, wood quality, etc. Lots of areas where differences could be realized. Noticed on one video the operator pressing in the frets. Some brands might spec that glue be used also, at an added cost.

Chapman mentioned that the plant was pretty large. I wouldn't be surprised if a tour of the entire plant showed similar operations being done in different areas. Maybe like Neck A and Neck B where both of them have the frets pressed, but one of them has additional checking or dressing by an operator.

So, yes, WMI makes good guitars, but they might make some better.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom