List of Pickup makers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fenderbender4, Dec 20, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone could contribute their knowledge of pickup makers, whether boutique or not, and a website address if they have one. Thanks.

I know:

WCR: www.crcoils.com

2. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Bill Lawrence (The REAL one...) http://www.billlawrence.com
    Beware of "Bill Lawrence USA" brand pickups...the only way to get the REAL deal is from Bill and Becky themselves....

3. Sherman

Sherman Member

I'll put in my $.02. Pete Biltoft at vintage vibe guitars is the man. His prices are reasonable. He can make just about any pup and will custom wind for you. I have his humbuckers and single coils. The humbuckers are great but his single coils are awesome. Check him out here:
    http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/. I forgot to mention that Pete's customer service is outstanding.

Sherm

4. stompbox

stompbox Member

Tim White, Timbuckers, No Website email only..... The best i ever laid hads on period.

5. Marcello

Marcello Member

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

7. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

A Big thumbs up for SKGuitar. Steve Kersting will be the first to admit that his pickups are expensive, but imo they are definitely worth it.

8. threm

threm Member

From the introduction (more on the site); "In keeping with my no BS rule, I am going to tell you my pickups are OVER PRICED... That's right, I said it....my pickups are too expensive for what they are."

Read on

"Most good pickup makers/companies offer a 30 day exchange guarantee. I give a 90 day "no questions asked" guarantee. If you still do not love the pickup(s) I made for you after 3 months I will exchange, rework, or refund, your choice.

OK, I'm not going to feed you a bunch of sales hype and BS. I make good pickups, as good as any and better than most. "The Best..." is going to be what suits YOU the best, and it may not be mine (if I think that's the case, I'll tell you so). I don't make "copies" of vintage pickups, I can and probably should since there's a huge market and a bunch of hype for "hand wound vintage pickups", but it's mostly nonsense and I don't want to promote that. If you found me it's probably due to referral since I don't advertise or promote. I'll let the referrals, reviews, feedback and guarantee speak for me.

In keeping with my no BS rule, I am going to tell you my pickups are OVER PRICED... That's right, I said it....my pickups are too expensive for what they are. The simple fact is they are JUST PICKUPS. Most of the marketing BS out there is pure "VODOO". That's not to say there isn't some "vodoo" in making pickups, the question is which do you need, if any. I'm a pretty firm believer that there is a stock/factory pickup out there somewhere, already being made, that will suit your needs, and that's also the problem; trying to find "that pickup". So why buy from me? Because I GUARANTEE you will get what you want, and I'm STILL averaging better than 99% first try. I use all of the "vodoo" techniques to get you what YOU WANT from YOUR GUITAR; thru YOUR RIG. I will vary factors such as wire guage, tension, scatterwinding, magnet gauss, potting, etc etc AS APPROPRIATE.

DO NOT expect ANY pickup to make up for using the wrong rig/amp, a poor quality guitar or lack of playing ability. If I were to prioritize factors/expenditures for a player it would be practice/lessons/playing out, amp, decent/suitable guitar and THEN pickups. In a strictly "tonal" sense the BIGGEST factor is the amp/speaker and the volume it's played at...."

http://www.skguitar.com/

9. flicker180

flicker180 Member

anderson pickups too.

dave