List the Singers (any style/genre) who`s Vocals are now blown cos of the high notes ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BryanMatthews, Feb 17, 2012.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

[​IMG]

Jeff Keith, singer of hard rock band Tesla

Reading the adele thread inspired this subject. The pic shows Jeff Keith from Tesla whose music made especially in late 80s / early 90s is very dependent on a rangey singer. Jeff Keith certain soared with high notes from the epic mechanical resonance through to great radio controversy.........but jeezus his singing paid a hefty price for it. His singing has now been reduced to a croak when he tries to hit those highs again, just shows the vocal chords cant take heavy duty exertion forever.

[​IMG]

Ian Gillan from Deep Purple

Gillans performances of Child in Time from the 1970s are something to behold. He displayed a vocal range that was just jaw dropping to hear when the band played live. Nowadays those ferocious highs have become markedly toned down as Gillan`s vocal chords married to the fact he gotten older just dont allow him to go anywhere near there no more.

I could post loads more, male or female, but id like to read whom members here at tgp feel that high range singing has had a considerable impact on also. There is one in particular who has received much discussion at tgp recently, but ill leave that for somebody else to raise.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

Brian Johnson of AC/DC has a pretty rough voice these days, but that's okay-he's still Brian Johnson and it's still AC/DC!!!

4. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

yep, high singing and time have left their mark mightily on this guys singing.

5. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

High notes don't cause blown vocals. Age is another matter. I can't hit anything near what I did 20 years ago.

6. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

[​IMG]

Stephen Pearcy from Ratt

One of my favorite bands with one of my all time favorite guitarists in warren demartini, but his singing duties had an apocalyptic effect on pearcy`s singing. He only had 1/4 octave range to start with, but years of excess and trying to sing as highly as he could left an indelible mark for sure.

7. firefitz65

firefitz65 Member

rodger daltrey, although i believe it is do more with age

8. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

not sure id agree with this 100 %, in robert plants case id say its 50% age 50 % the strain he placed on his vocal chords during zep that have left him with the croak of a voice that he now has, id draw a comparison with jack bruce too as id attribute the same percentages to age and his singing in cream.

9. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

could daltrey get anywhere close to the highs of a late 80s , pre-croak sebastian bach (skid row ) , a guy whose voice was reduced to decimation purely because of singing the high notes and nuthin to do with age.

10. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

Tom Keifer & Joe Elliot

11. Ben R

Ben R Member

Didn't the dude from Dream Theater (his name escapes me at the moment and I'm too lazy to google it) suffer from some sort of vocal cord fatigue in recent years, and is now not the same?

Oh, and Sebastian Bach, too?

12. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Steve Perry's voice got hammered.

13. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

When I started this thread, I had joe elliott in mind.

During the mid 80s Joe Elliotts vocals were **** and this was with little strain on his singing chords. Many concerts have had a seismic impact on his cough cough "singing" and he too now has neglible range, dynamics and just croaks his way through the songs as well.

14. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

no girls in the thread so far :omg

nobody get a listen to the once awesome Linda Perry lately ? damn that girl had range to literally kill for, but like other thread inclusions , the high notes have taken their toll on that gal too.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Gillan still sings quite well, but - yes - the powerful screams are gone. Doesn't help that he's a long time heavy smoker/drinker.

Geddy Lee's high are gone, but his lower register is quite rich.

Paul Rodgers sings as well as ever, as does Prince. Surprisingly, Dan McCafferty (sp?) sounds much as always, so does Glenn Hughes.

In recent years, Burton Cummings has lost much of his rich high tenor, same w/ David Coverdale.

16. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

First one I thought of.

17. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

My first thought was Steve Perry. Also Lou Graham from Foreigner.

On the other side of the spectrum you have Bruce Dickinson, whose vocals are better now than they were 20 years ago.

How he do dat?

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Leon Redbone
    Willie Nelson
    Lyle Lovett
    Dr. John
    Jim Dandy

:sarcasm

19. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

The first thing "vocal chords" should lose is the H; they are "vocal cords".

20. ElDiabloBlanco

ElDiabloBlanco Member

Saw Cinderella last year - post surgery Keifer nailed the vocals and sounded great!