List your favorite Tweed Amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, May 21, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Your favorite Tweed Amp or Tweed Style/Clone.

What do you like about it and whats the Control Layout?

What speakers do you use?

2. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Much of what I've played have been clones. I've played a few late 50's (Is it Bassmans, or Bassmen?), a couple of nice deluxes, and alot of not so good ones. A few Vickies, some Clarks etc.

I settled on the RI Tweed Twin. For me I like the flexability of the dual rectifier set-up, and the smoothness of the Weber Designed speakers. Nice gain on tap. Controls are 2 inputs for each channel (Normal, and Bright) Vol. (1 each) Treb, Bass, Pres. What else do you really need? Really.

The original amps I've played were very hit or miss, and for me, I've found that when I owned some vintage amps, as they broke down the tone after repairs was always different (when compared to the tone before it broke).

For build quality the Clarks were the best out of what i've seen. YMMV.

I love tweed clean, and tweed grind. It's like a double bacon cheeseburger. So fat and greasy!

3. Derelict

Derelict Member

tweed deluxe.

i love the way, that cranked with a good telecaster, sounds like everything is on the verge of explosion. it is something so nasty, and yet musically connective and responsive, that is my favorite musical experience, period.

:dude

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'm with BobbyRay. The 57 RI Twin Tweed is heavenly. Almost makes me wonder why I'd use any others. (But that wouldn't be very much fun, would it?!) It has everything I need, nothing I don't. Versatile as they come, and sounds great at a wide range of volume levels. An ideal amp. AC

5. thedave

thedave Member

Victoria and Clark will no doubt be leading contenders among people's postings. (I especially dig Vicky's bassman.) On the other hand, there are many many boutique'rs doing interesting but quite limited runs, and I look forward to hearing here about them.

My own bid would be Gerald Weber's Kendrick tweeds. Many acknowledge him as a major initial force in the boutique amp thing. My favorite is his Gig Rig: two 6L6s (or 5881s), and great tones with either 12AX7, 5751 or 12AY7 in V1. Has the best on-board tube reverb I've heard with tone, dwell and mix controls: the reverb is like part of the instrument. Four inputs, vol, bass and treble controls. One massive 12" Alnico Fane. A line out. Can sound like a bassman but is the size of a deluxe. Not heavy--the antique pine helps hold down the weight.

It's not just the tone, it's also the responsivness. You really *can* go from clean to controlled feedback with pretty much just the pick attack. Amp stays bright, even when guitar volume knob is turned way down.

And finally, the tweed work is right up there. As Gerald once told me, "This tweed is so good that if someone in a bar barfs on it, you just can just wipe it once with a cloth and keep on playing." I haven't tested that claim, yet.

No longer available as Gig Rig, but now is sold the K Spot. Same circuitry but different cosmetic front. And, too bad, now more expensive. Sometimes you can find them on ebay. I strongly advise adding the "Quick Bias" points so keeping the tubes tuned is a snap. (I love how going from .025 to .040 volts changes the basic character of the amp. Who needs modelling?

Sorry for the length of this rave, but as you can tell, this one (which I've had for several years) really is my favorite tweed.
    thedave

6. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Victoria 45410 (5F6A Bassman)

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've always found the Tweed Twin and Bassman too loud for what i do. I've got a Bandmaster clone by So-Flo, modded by Sonny Jr. that's just killer-nice clanky clean and overdrives around 25w for great small gig breakup.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Bruno Tweedy Pie 35.

9. 57special

57special Member

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Clark Beaufort w/Celestion Blue (tweed deluxe)

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Maven Peal RG88

Can do Tweed Twin scream and Blackface Clean... TIGHT bottom end... or that patented Tweed saggy bottom with the twist of one control (the Sag control) great at bedroom volumes... amazing at stage levels... plus it does Hotrodded Tweed as well... almost Marshall-esque but with way more harmonic complexity. It is so chewy and sweet you'd thick it was toffee coming through those speakers.

Simple layout... classy looks... heavy duty construction and the best Fender tones you could dream of (and the ability to mix them... tweed sweetness with blackface bottom, blackface break-up with tweed mids... saggy tweed jazz tones with a little extra high-end for clarity... you dream it... it can do it)... and the ability to use any tube (in any combination) at any bias... and you can bias it yourself in minutes.

Currently just through a Marshall 4x12 with Blackback Celstion G12H30's which are a little bright for this amp. I'm gonna get Bob Burt to do me a 4x10 and 2x12 (in Tweed) with the ability to make them open or closed back... get some good Webers or some other American flavored speakers in them... alnico/cermic mix methinks... its gonna be heaven.

-TJK

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I like the 3X10 Bandmaster scheme such as the Clark Tyger or the Vicky 35310, with 4X10 Bassman not far behind.

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

14. thedave

thedave Member

Ah, yes. A modern classic. But where do I get one?
    thedave

15. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

My 1955 Fender Tremolux
    [​IMG]
    She's so sweet!!

16. modRod

modRod Member

marble club reverb. 20/40 watt class a. any clean i could ever need and overdriven it´s pure fun. Celestion G 12 H 30.

17. Claytone

Claytone Member

TV front 51 Princeton. Perfect home amp. Even a Deluxe is too loud for the house.

18. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Two on the emporium right now...

19. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Victoria Deluxe with an Eminence Red Fang.

20. AlexF

AlexF Member

Sewell Wampus Cat, based on a tweed Pro. Volume treble and bass, simple as it gets. Fat tweed midrange punch, and no room for any kind of overdrive pedal once you're past 12 oclock on the volume. After that, it justs gets more and more saturated and fatter. Built like a tank. A fine fine amp. I use a Fane Alnico with mine, which suits it perfectly.
    Al