Listening to Hendrix on Headphones...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Mar 29, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Its interesting that some of those most elusive tones we know with massive 100watt amps cranked beyond belief have a lot to do with factors having nothing to do with the amp itself.

Why does an attenuated Marshall never quite sound the same as hendrix? well listening with headphones makes it so clear how MUCH of what we hear in any recording of such amps blowing up loud is the room and how an amp THAT loud and THAT insane effects the physics of everything around it. Drums, bass, guitar..all vibrating... the ROOM ambience.

Its just interesting that even though there isn't necessarily so much touch sensitivity or harmonics, but pure power coming through the recording. That can NOT be duplicated unless you do just that 2x100watt marshall FULL stacks cranked in a room with a band.

Both humbling and exciting to enjoy;)

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Are you referring to Hendrix live recordings or studio? In the studio, he often used a Fuzz Face through a Twin.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

... sorta. Mostly live, but a few studio recordings such as "catfish" and such..

4. bolero

bolero Member

I don't know about "often", I've heard once

first album is early 100w marshall thu either 1 or 2 4x12's

band of gypsies is definitely 100w marshalls & full stacks

radio one is surely all marshalls; it was done in england when he was over there with his new amps

catfish blues sure sounds like a marshall to me

supposedly voodoo chile ( the long jam version ) is a fender of some sort, I've heard brown & twin....who has the pics of those sessions?

I totally agree about the room sound & dynamics/acoustic play between instruments, sounds much better than some of the dry modern recordings we have IMO

5. glenecho

glenecho Member

I know it's probably HEAVILY looked down upon on this board, but if you dig Hendrix and have some curiosity as to his tones, you really owe it to yourself to check out Amplitube Jimi Hendrix.

I think it's THE most amazing piece of modelling software there is by far.

6. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

I've heard the long Voodoo Chile is a Bassman. Rainy Day, Dream Away sounds pretty Fendery to me , as does sweet, pretty part in the middle of 1983.

7. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Jimi didn't use twins very often at all.... the only time i've ever seen him playing through a twin style was when he played maui but that could of been a dual showman.

8. davebc

davebc Member

The "Cry Of Love" definitely sounds like it was recorded using Fender amps. What an amazing record, "Freedom," "Drifting," "Ezy Ryder," "Angel," "In From The Storm."
    I'm not hearing Marshalls.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I have a theory on this.... Man seems to have a fundimental need to push things to the brink. Think about cars.. Ain't nothing as cool as a drag car with the pedal down, tires smokin and flames shooting out the pipes. It's almost chaotic but the beauty is pushing somthing beyond it's designed capabilities while maintaining optimum performance It's a very atractive thing.

Same thing with cranking amps. tubes and speakers crying for mercy, the room shaking, air moving..... thats just plain cool! Thats what gets somehow captured in recordings. It's not appropriate for all styles but I think it's almost fundimental for rock, metal and heavy blues based stuff. Add that to a player emoting the same wreckless abandon like Jimi did and it's just straight up amazing.

As for different Hendrix offerings, I think "The cry of Love" was light years ahead of it's time with regard to composition, multiple guitar tracks and production methods.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Ha!! We posted at the same time! Yes, my favorite Hendrix album for sure. And I'd agree it sounds like more Fenders were used.

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I agree with this too. He was way more than just cranking amps.

12. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I have seen a few pics and youtube video of Hendrix playing fender concerts live and he definitely used fenders in the studio ie. bassmans, I know he used twins live in new york before he went to england. There is a video on yt now under newport where he is playing with Buddy Miles and he has 2 fender concerts cranked and it it sounds huge.....

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Imo, that clip illustrates exactly the point of the OP. It's got all the surface aspects of the Jimi tone, but if you were listening blindfolded you'd have no problem identifying it as not Jimi.

I agree, you can get very close with the right pickups, pedals, etc. But there's an aspect of what he did that only happens with volume.

/rick

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

Page was able to get those earth coming to an end sounds with mainly small, low watt amps with only medium gain. I do agree though that room ambiance, effects, mic. choice/placement, amp placement etc. are essential to a great sound.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I think there is NO substitute for db's.
    No attenuator, iso box, plexi shields, replace the psycho-acoustic experience of moving the air.
    There's a big difference beteween hearing (barely) an acoustic bass (guitar) and feeling the rumble of an electric. And, yes, it may disrupt your conversation over the latte.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

How about when your hear his recorded music at normal listening levels. The content is all there but the ear bleed isn't.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

18. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

In my opinion, Hendrix didn't have that great of tone. Its was his playing/creativity/skill that blows my mind. He definately pioneered the psychadelic/blues rock thing. He was really in touch with it and beyond.

19. bosstone

bosstone Member

Yah, but...they also used small amps and they sounded just as impressive. You don't listen to their albums and find any loss of continuity as they switch from amp to amp to amp.

20. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Seems amps are cranked more in the studio than on stage especially today.
    As for Hendrix there are numerous articles by Eddie Kramer discussing the studio tracks and plenty of photos of Hendrix using Marshalls in the studio along with other amps. Plus the effects, the Uni Vibe( Band of Gypsies) etc. His signature sound and the one we associate with him is a cranked Marshall. They work well with effects, like fuzz etc.. They do clean too, with 100 w of headroom and with 2 or 3 linked like Hendrix did, well.

If you listen to the Isle of Wight DVD track In From The Storm it sounds to me like the same amp as on The Cry Of Love album. Especially the lead lines. Great album, shows the direction Hendrix was heading musically.

Off topic but I always thought that song was the birth of Heavy Metal. The intro to Black Sabbaths' Paranoid sounds like it was influenced by the In From The Storm intro.