listening to Living Colour's "Time's Up" album today... dayum!

Matt L

This may be the least hip album that I love. But yeah, I played it all the time as a little kid. Haven't listened to it in years. I need to listen to it again. Thanks for reminding me.

Curious what your "hip" albums are, in comparison.

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
Oh man those first 3 albums are so bad-ass and fun. Even though I can't play with speed at all, Vernon has been such a massive influence on me. Such a great rhythm section and vocals. They still pump it out hard live.

My favorite off Time's Up might be Fight the Fight, and I love the solo in Undercover of Darkness after Latifah's rap.

I love Living Colour.

johnnyb128

Agreed with everyone, Living Color is great, Time's Up and Fight the Fight are my favs on that record as well. I saw them open for Joe Satriani a couple years back and they still rock - on that note they're releasing a new album soon, here's the new track that was just released yesterday:

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Great record. I'm remiss, in that I haven't properly followed up on the post-Muzz Skillings years. Def my bad. Recs?

Tim Bowen

Dig it. I got the first three records. Cassettes. Loved them. Will start the revisit with Vivid.

I °love° Vernon Reid's guitar solos. He brought the punk back to chops.

I caught Living Color at the old Buckhead Theatre/Roxy in Atlanta back in the day. My first experience with a mosh pit, figured I could hang. Ha! What a maroon. Awesome show, resides firmly within the mental archives' greatest hits.

robyogi

Ampaholic
Gold Supporting Member
Vivid, Time's Up, and Biscuits were just about all I listened to for a year or two. I can still listen to those albums now, which I can't say for most of the stuff I listened to in that era. The new album Shade was surprisingly good as well. Surprising to me, anyway, since like all of us, they're a good bit older now.

Vernon has always been a favorite of mine. I love the attitude in his playing. Cult is like years of rage being unleashed in a guitar solo. Never understood the dislike for him from the shred crowd. There's more than one way to cut a good solo.

godotzilla

Love Living Colour.

Got to see them a bunch of times at some pretty small clubs, even went out for ice cream with Muzz and Corey after a gig in Ann Arbor.

As great a player as Wimbish is, the band lost something when Muzz left.

viper

Vernon has always been a favorite of mine. I love the attitude in his playing. Cult is like years of rage being unleashed in a guitar solo. Never understood the dislike for him from the shred crowd. There's more than one way to cut a good solo.

Yes, the Cult solo... great description! I've always loved the song and I can hear the solo in my head. Furiously abrasive, kinda like the "sheets of sound" approach but on electric guitar.

The last time I tried revisiting their early albums, I didn't dig the music like I used to. This thread is a good reminder to try again.
I'm glad LC is still around, making new music.

Another funky/groovy band I always listen to in the summertime is a band called White Trash. They had a self titled album and a second album a few years later called Si? O Si, Que? that were both awesome. The first album had a killer horn section called the Badass Brass on it. Nothing like Living Colour (White Trash is more like GnR meets James Brown), but funky and greasy cool, nonetheless.

Lol, there's a blast from the past that I had forgotten about. I was in college with the guitarist, and remember the buzz when they got signed to Elektra. I didn't know him well, but I remember we once were talking about Lee Jackson doing amp mods when Lee had his Metaltronix company.

Yes, the Cult solo... great description! I've always loved the song and I can hear the solo in my head. Furiously abrasive, kinda like the "sheets of sound" approach but on electric guitar.

You can definitely hear Coltrane/Sharrock/Rashaan Roland Kirk in there.

I've loved Vern's playing from day one precisely because he pulled in these disparate influences and then cranked them through a smokin' amp. Big influence on me for that alone -- taught me to keep my ears open.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
You can definitely hear Coltrane/Sharrock/Rashaan Roland Kirk in there.

I've loved Vern's playing from day one precisely because he pulled in these disparate influences and then cranked them through a smokin' amp. Big influence on me for that alone -- taught me to keep my ears open.

I entered the LC/Vernon multiverse through this axis, courtesy of a glowing Down Beat mag review.

Resonated and resonates.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
In interviews over the years Reid also got me to pay attention to Ornette Coleman, Sonny Sharrock, James Blood Ulmer, and Carlos Santana -- and to listen to Bad Brains with fresh ears. I'd go so far as to credit him with some of my continuing musical education.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
In interviews over the years Reid also got me to pay attention to Ornette Coleman, Sonny Sharrock, James Blood Ulmer, and Carlos Santana -- and to listen to Bad Brains with fresh ears. I'd go so far as to credit him with some of my continuing musical education.

Funnily enuff, I came in retrograde and came to admire his music, and being, through “free jazz” into metal. Retrograde because I held these as parallel steams since dirt wuz rocks and VR united them for me. As did Buckethead, though I prefer VR on most days.

I also came to love the Dead (rather than hang with it) after I worked a show with Ornette on the bill and the whacked “space” to which he contributed.

So much I dig rock and so much more improvisational music. Happy collisions thrill me to the man tits.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom