Listening to Luther Allison, "Live in Chicago"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SlyStrat, Dec 24, 2009.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I'm listening to it while I paint the kitchen.
    I love his playing and tone. And so much energy. One of the best ever.
    I had tickets to see him, and the concert was cancelled cuz he was sick.
    He died a month later. What a loss.

From Wikipedia:

"In the middle of his summer of 1997 tour, Allison checked into a hospital for dizziness and loss of coordination. It was discovered that he had a tumor on his lung that had metastasized to his brain.[4] In and out of a coma, Allison died on August 12, 1997, five days before his 58th birthday, in Madison, Wisconsin.[2] His album Reckless had just been released."

2. Bill

Bill Member

I agree with you. I have been listening to that album a lot, lately. Great one....:dude

3. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    One of my fav of the Chicago blues cats, I think he is very underrated when ppl talk about the great Chicago blues. Cherry Red Wine makes me want to blow up my amp!

4. uberdave

uberdave Supporting Member

Reminds me back in 1997(wow) I was traveling with my dad through
    Oklahoma early in the morning listening NPR(near Tulsa?).Anyways
    started listening and I didn't know who they were talkin' about. I said to
    my dad I bet you, it was Luther Allison. Of course my dad was like who?
    Then at the end of the segment, the announced his name. My dad just
    looked at me, a little stunned.Never will forget that. If you don't know
    Luther check out Cherry Red Wine.

5. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

He was one of the best ever in my opinion. I have to admit I get tired of the same old blues themes with the same licks and solos over and over. But Luther never gets old. You can hear a whole lot of Luther in SRVs playing.

6. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Definitely one of the best. Luther kicked ass and Live In Chicago is fantastic!!

7. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

I saw him at the Beale Street Music festival shortly before he died (guess it was 1997). I hadn't heard of him, I was just killing time until Johnny Lang's set. Luther came out playing a goldtop Les Paul and he was on fire! He was dancing across the stage and doing Pete Townshend leaps all while laying down a mean groove. Not just a great musician, but a great PERFORMER!

8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I really think every guitar player should hear "Live In Chicago" at least once. Even the Metal players. The emotion in Luthers playing comes through the speakers.

9. madscientist

madscientist Member

Live in Chicago is a killer album...one of my favorites. It's a shame that you don't hear Luther's name more often.

10. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Is that the one that has Party Time (iirc) on it? Absolutely fantastic album!

11. birv2

birv2 Member

One of my all-time faves. He could sing AND play, both very soulful. His pick attack and tone is to die for. Live in Chicago is one of the greatest, especially those first few bars after they introduce the band -- the B3 and the drums build up, and he comes in and just kills with a few notes. Awesome.

12. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

great album, monster artist

13. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I saw him live in small bars 35 years ago, and he was wonderful. I shared a beer with him during break once and he was a soft-spoken, humble guy. RIP Luther.

14. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

He had taken the red-eye from Paris right before the show in Chicago. He had no sleep and ripped it up for the show that we hear on the Chicago Cd.

It too,is one of my favs.

15. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

I have several of his albums and a bunch of bootlegs and he is one of my favorites! I am so sad he died young. Like Rory Gallagher he is a very under rated guitarist who really gave it all they had every night.

16. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

A guitar player I knew as a kid played bass for Luther at one time. His name is Randy Fullerton. Is he on any of the recordings?

17. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

Luther was a gem of a man. As I recall, he was the first blues artist signed by motown as an answer to the success that the Chess brothers were experiencing.

He was well-known in France for playing extended sets and for being the most gracious and humble guy after the show.

His son Bernard is also a hell of a guitar slinger, btw. Also very humble and approachable. I once saw him play a 2-hour set, after which I met him backstage and traded acoustic guitar licks for another 45 minutes as he wanted to answer my questions and jam a bit. Great guy.

Bernard played live w/ Luther's "map" Gibby. If you get a chance to catch him live, do so! You won't regret it. He's a great showman.

18. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Luther will always be remembered as a gracious, humble gentleman and for his tremendous respect for his audience. He felt a true debt of gratitude to his fans. He had that old school sense of responsibility to where if there was one person in the audience that was not "entertained to death", he would feel he had let them down. Not my kinda blues gtr thing, but loved by many and a giant human.