Listening to music your SO hates?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Average Joe, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Just wanted to hear how the rest of you deal with having different musical tastes than your SO. Do you listen less to particular music if your wife/gf/etc really dislike it? do you put it on in a different part of the house, listen with head phones or do you simply blast it - wife be damned ;)

My wife and I have significant musical common ground but she actively dislikes most guitar based fusion. I tend to go the head phones route

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yea I tend to keep the Alan Holdsworth to myself, but Jeff Becks Guitar Shop is a hit with most who can tolerate any tiptoeing into the fusion realm. But then there's those who turn up their noses unless you listen to the exact same popular stuff that's on the radio "that everybody else likes". :argue , if I want to listen to that crap I'd just turn on the radio.

3. G Man

G Man Member

I don't know when it happened, but it has gotten to the point that I don't bother playing music at all when the wife is around. I truly think she'd be happy if there were no longer music anywhere, just a nice peaceful world of silence. Its sad, really.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

She's very in to music, as I am, and we have a good amount of common ground, with some odd clashes.

She doesn't like "guitar nerd" music, but likes Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Cream, Freddie King.
    No EJ, Vai, Satriani, or VH(gasp!)...

Not really in to the thrash I love, but likes Mercyful Fate, Volbeat, Slayer, and Danzig
    No Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura…

70's/80's deep cut country music. Sometimes she'll leave it on and say "I know you're working through some stuff…" Whatever that means!

I'll listen to "my" music when I run, shower, or am in the car by myself. No biggie, our parallels are enough that it's not a thing.

5. telest

telest Member

My wife is pretty open to my musical taste with the exception of anything remotely country sounding. Lol

6. s2y

s2y Member

My wife doesn't seem to enjoy anything, so I have no clue what she likes.

7. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

MrsB & I have vastly different tastes in music.

We have a few common musical "likes" that we share in the mornings or on road trips together. We have a good time finding new stuff we can enjoy together, even if it takes a few tries.

If I want to listen to a long run of stuff she dislikes (classic prog, for instance), I do it at a time when I'm not around her or can use headphones. She does the same with me.

We try not to insist on "our way" all the time. I've taken her to see Barry Mannilow twice because I knew she loves the guy's music. Me, not so much. Next time, she can find a friend to go with her.

8. slybird

slybird Member

When I was in college I broke up with women that didn't like what I considered good music. After college I joined a band, started dating the singer, then moved in together within 6 months. She was more of a music nazi than I was.

Since that break up I have chilled. I really don't care what music is playing in the common rooms. Current GF knows that 95% of the music I listen to is a first time listen. Once in a while something comes on and she will veto it. She plays mostly from her collection and has many favorites that I like. We both have a 'my room' in the house.

9. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

My wife doesn't like pretty much everything I listen to.

10. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

My wife and I listen to some of the same music, but our tastes are mostly different. I generally listen with headphones or in our den (at the back of the house), because she is more often in the front room. I work from home and make my own hours, so I'm home alot during the day to listen to music, play guitar (loudly), etc.

Regards,

11. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

My wife hates my music (anything non pop). I hate her music (all pop).

It makes road trips in the car interesting.

12. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

She absolutely hates when I try to listen to REM. This really bugs me because early REM is one of my favorite things to listen to in the car on sunny, summer mornings.

13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

My wife and I have enough crossover music taste that we have music to listen to in the car if we're so inclined (I always have an mp3 player and loads of CDs in the car). But normally we just talk.

Fortunately, we both dig REM. :)

Peace,

14. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

Alice In Chains
    Soundgarden
    (early) Pearl Jam
    Public Enemy

15. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I found a solution... I put Howard Stern on and within 20 minutes she asks me to play something from my phone.

In reality, in our case, I have a 35m commute each way, so that's my time to listen to stuff she doesn't like.

But there are thresholds:
    She loves the Foos and STP and Live and U2
    She also loves when I play 80's pop for her, and she's a good singer, so she can sing a lot of stuff like Outfield.
    She's learning to love Father John Misty and Gary Clark Jr.
    She like The Who and Some Girls era Stone, most ZZ Top and non-obscure Pearl Jam
    She tolerates Zeppelin
    She hates Smashing Pumpkins
    She doesn't understand Queens of the Stone Age

16. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

I like a lot of late 70's early 80's punk bands like Black Flag, Minutemen, Flipper, Fang, Meat Puppets, Germs. She says they are depressing and stress her out. I have not even tried to listen to them around her for 15 years +. oddly enough my son likes Flipper and the Germs.

17. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

My wife and I's musical tastes almost completely coincide - except for The Smiths. She has an utter hatred of anything Morrissey has ever been involved with. Unfortunately, I think The Smiths are one of the greatest bands ever.

But, otherwise I count myself pretty fortunate that I have an SO so musically compatible. :)

18. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I tend to play stuff we both like when we are together. There is a lot of common ground... but she is definitely prefers 60-80s 'classic rock'. Actually over the years she has come to tolerate metal which is awesome.

I tend to listen to stuff she hates when I by myself: Grateful Dead, Prog Rock, really heavy stuff.

It works.

19. doc

doc Member

My wife dislikes most of the music I like, so if its going to be on and she's around for long I try to pick stuff we both like - like jazz/popular standards from the 40s-50s. We went to a Skynyrd/Allman Bros concert once years ago together - she didn't mind Skynyrd much, but was annoyed by the Allmans. Her complaints were that they ignored the audience, played the same song over and over and did that "screechy guitar" noise.

She's a big Osmond Brothers fan.

20. b80

b80 Member

My wife is awesome and usually digs what I listen to.

Except Saves the Day. She says she can't stand Chris Conley's voice. You be the judge.