listening to Whitesnake's self-titled album for the 1st time in many years

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mesa/boogieman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I was a senior in high school when this album came out and wore the cassette (that's right kids!) out in my car.

Listening to it now, John Sykes is just killing it on the entire album! His guitar has got chorus on it but it doesn't sound dated and he is just wailing all over the place! I don't understand why Coverdale didn't take him on tour and got Adrian Vandenberg to replace him. Sykes is way better! His playing on Whitesnake is better than Vai's playing on the following album.

2. ShomerShabbos

ShomerShabbos Supporting Member

Brilliant record. Incredible guitar playing, great song writing, and a dose of teeny-bopper BS to gain a wider audience. Great work.

3. axedoc2010

axedoc2010 Member

Even Sykes was surprised when Coverdale replaced him (actually replaced the entire band) for the tour. I remember reading that it took just 3 weeks to record the album and that was it for Sykes. From hired to fired. But agree with you. He is awesome on the album! Another guy who stuns me to this day with his playing is Vivian Campbell on Holy Diver. Never get tired of that album.

4. mesa/boogieman

If I recall, didn't Coverdale want a more MTV looking band with him?

I guess Aynsley Dunbar didn't fit that bill in '87 :huh

5. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

That album just starts off so strong. The first few songs just kill until we get all sensitive...

6. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

:agree

I was a junior in high school - I spent hours trying to cop Sykes licks from that album!

7. mesa/boogieman

That's so true man. Very baroque in it's majesty.

8. Ultron

Ultron Member

I thought it had something to do with David and John not getting along...both are pretty headstrong.

Great playing and tones on that CD......I know he used Mesa Mark Coliseums, but anyone know what he used for FX, speakers, etc?

9. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I read an interview with Coverdale where he said Sykes wanted a ton of money, (more than every guitarist that ever played in WS - combined), and David wouldn't pay him that amount.

DC also got sick around that time, and Sykes wanted to replace him and go on tour.

It is a great album. Sykes also has a lot of great solo albums worth checking out.

10. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

The MUSICAL chemistry between Coverdale and Sykes was brilliant. It was the stuff that makes certain partnerships legendary.

Unfortunately they didn't like each other, prompting Coverdale to pull the dumbest move of his career, replacing him with TWO guys he had no chemistry with.

The Stones were SO much smarter. Mick and Keith haven't gotten along for decades, but at least they understand the rarity of their musical chemistry and keep it together for the sake of their fans and their legacy. They don't need the money.

11. mesa/boogieman

And much like EVH and David Lee did recently. They don't have to like each other or hang out. But they know together they kick ass.

12. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

It's like day gigs too. How many of us work with people we don't particularly get along with or even like but we get stuff done.

Those two got stuff done.

13. bsteff666

bsteff666 Supporting Member

Beaver, PA (That's just outside of Pittsburgh)
    Its a great album...I also just about wore out my cassette back in those years.

But...I have to say that at this point...

Here I Go Again makes me want to puke.

I have heard it enough times for one lifetime & never need to hear it again.

14. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Here I Go Again doesn't bother me half as much as Is This Love:barf

15. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Unless Sykes did something totally financially stupid when he and Coverdale parted company, I can guarantee you that he has gotten wealthy off of the royalty checks from that "1987" Whitesnake album... :)

16. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

But Here I Go Again was written and recorded for Saints An' Sinners, two albums prior to Serpens Albus, when Mickey Moody and Mel Galley were still the guitarists. So was Crying In The Rain. Sykes came on after S&S for the Slide It In album, but only after all the songs were written already apparently.

That said, I became a fan when Slide It In was on the radio and got into all the older albums. When Serpens Albus came out I snapped it up before the Tawny videos started getting evryone else's attention.

17. mesa/boogieman

I remember buying Saints and Sinners in 1988 after getting Whitesnake and that original version just totally threw me off! It's totally different from the 1987 version with Sykes.

18. mesa/boogieman

No kidding! Yak yak yak!!!! :noevil

19. Mudder

Mudder Member

Coverdale has a solid case of LSD, and would have been hard pressed to take a guy like Sykes on tour. I mean, Sykes did everything better than Coverdale, maybe even sing.

20. Bankston

Bankston Member

Check out Sykes' live album Bad Boy Live where he plays several songs from the WS record and just KILLS it -- guitar and vocals.