Listing your gear in your signature

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 5881, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I am a bit conflicted about the listing of gear in one's signature here. My first thought is that it is pretentious; ie I have more/better toys than you (mine's bigger than yours). Yes we are proud of our gear, but where does this pride come from? Are we proud that we can afford to have $$$$$$ of gear laying around our houses when most of us are not pro musicians; so in reality we are proud that we are successful/ good at our "day" jobs? That's cool, we all work hard for our toys.
    Then there is my concern of exposing ourselves to unscrupulous types who may look at our laundry lists of toys and say "hey, lets rob this guy". Many of us here sell gear here and on CL; Ebay, so it would not take a lot of work for someone to figure out who I am and where I live. So someone who seems cool comes over to buy your $200.00 amp, manages to verity that you are X on TGP, and then visits again when you're not home. Am I a bit paranoid; perhaps but....
    I was thinking about this when looking at the "if you have more than 3 amps list them post" (which I am so guilty of), and while tempted chose not to.
    Thoughts?

2. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

thry wont let me list my gear.....or maybe they wont allow me to post prices?
    something for sure because u see my tagline.....

3. zorak

zorak Member

I list my gear, not for any bragging rights, because it reminds me that I should keep what I have and not trade/sell it! And I'm also proud/fortunate to have such gear - it's my endorsement of the gear I play, so to speak. It's also fun to see what others are playing, as well.
    Go ahead and list it. Try to have fun with it. That's what TGP is all about!

4. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I like seeing what other people have. On TGP, it adds insight into what they are into, isn't that what this page is all about?

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I think the odds of having gear stolen because you listed it here is slim to none.

6. cram

cram Member

I don't bother with it, but I've seen someone comment thoughtfully - because of experience they demonstrate in reply - to something I am interested and then I notice what they are using with said interesting piece of gear, so I've PM'd to ask and gotten more info.

I think that's a benefit, no?

Also, for gear trading folks - there are a few here... just a few, right - it can foster trade baiting. Which is good as well.

7. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I certainly agree on your point about listing so you won't sell. I would be too embarrassed, mad at myself to list all of the awesome gear I have sold over the past 20 years! And not sold because I did not know what I had, or it became "collectible" over time, or I needed the $, but because I just wanted to move on. My '64 Deluxe Reverb, Boogie Mk 2C+ 1x12 in hardwood with matching extension cab, '63 AC30, 1960 Champ, Silvertone amp in case guitar, Supro Lap Steel with matching amp..... I'm getting nauseous.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I think you shouldn't care what other people do and worry about yourself.

9. onemind

onemind Member

I like the idea that it gives context to the poster's opinions. But I feel if I listed gear it would be pretentious. I'd also have to change my sig way too often.

10. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Please don't take me as confrontational but do you say that because we are all good people on TGP, or because it would take too much legwork to figure out where someone lives who has 20k of gear listed in their sig? I really am not paranoid about this kind of stuff (really), but do like to fly below the radar when possible.If the bad guys are on Ebay and CL then they certainly have been here.

11. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

Listing hear in your signature throws off searches. I'm looking for info about a particular amp, and some guy's posts continually show up in my search results because he mentions it in every thread he contributes to.

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Agreed!

I don't list mine because of pride, but sheer joy that I have it. I love talking about effects and amps and such. Though, I will admit that I'm not into it like I was. Here lately I've been trying to focus on my playing more, but I still occasionally enjoy reading what everyone has.

13. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I hear you brother. Changing our signatures 3x a week would get tiresome!

14. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

My idea behind listing it is so if I have any question of function or ask an opinion of how something would work with my rig, I don't have to type it out over and over. They can just look at my signature.

15. whitehall

whitehall Member

I think in the beginning of the chatrooms it was a way for the people who knew a tiny bit to distinguish themselves from the masses who knew absolutely nothing. As time went on it served no purpose as most of the people just make that stuff up anyway. Who cares if you owned this or that years ago for 2 weeks ? If you wanted bragging rights you would have each member post a link in their sig to a picture of them actually sitting with all their gear.

16. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Now to play devil's advocate:
    How do you like your Superdrive 45 Braunzo? I picked one up here a couple of months ago....
    Two sides to every coin.

17. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

Three words:

The "GEAR" Page

18. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I don't really see any personal value in posting my gear so I don't. But if someone else wants to, good for them!

19. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

If you own 20 guitar, 15 amps, and 100 pedals, then I think it is a bit pretentious to list them all. I am more interested in your main guitar, amp, and pedals that you actually use most of the time.

20. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I know there are bad people in the world but I'd like to think most here would not do that sort of thing.

As far as legwork to figure out who has what and where they live, add scanning the gun threads to see who's packin heat. Pulling off such a heist may not be as easy as you think!