Little Big Muff, Little Big Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Non-Digital Tom, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Hi all! I just got a bunch of pedals from Electro-Harmonix, including the new Little Big Muff. Here are a few quick observations for those who were wondering –

This thing is basically a Big Muff. It looks like a Big Muff, sounds like a Big Muff; same exact controls, except they’re reversed (Sustain, Tone, Volume instead of Volume, Tone, Sustain). But get this – I think this is an Electro-Harmonix first – the new Little Big Muff is housed in a standard die-cast aluminum enclosure! It’s the Chinese version Hammond 1590BB. The graphics are screened right onto the bare aluminum box.

I’ve made this observation before – Mike Matthews is one helluva savvy businessman. There’s a good reason he’s still a major figure in the effects industry after all these years. When people started doing true bypass mods on EH pedals, EH soon began offering true bypass as a standard feature on most of their pedals. Recently there have been some boutique Big Muff clones offering a smaller footprint, as well as people rehousing their stock Big Muffs. Enter the new Little Big Muff; a classic case of “give the people what they want.”

For all the people who love the Big Muff but hate the size, this could be what you’ve been waiting for. And as with most EH pedals, very attractively priced. A look at the inside revealed what may be the only draw back – the pots and jacks are all board mounted, Dunlop reissue style. Yes, it’s designed to be built cheaply, BUT… you get a real Big Muff in a real small box at a real nice price.

By the way - yes, I also got the new Electro-Harmonix HOG. I'll need a couple of days to get back to you on that though.

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Would love to see a pic if you have one available.. :)

3. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Here ya go...

[​IMG]

4. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

But does it smell like a Big Muff?

5. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

how many super hard ons can it take at once, now that its little?

6. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Doh! :jo

DOH! :jo

:D

7. drolling

drolling Member

Well, there's never been any reason outside nostalgia or *authenticity* to put a fuzz circuit into such a massive enclosure, has there?

Players have a lot more effects on the floor than they used to, and it's about time EH scaled back the size of those classic effects. Everybody else has.

Board mounted jacks & switches don't surprise me - cost a lot more to do it the old-fashioned way. But how does it sound? There's been so many versions of the Muff over the years.. how does the latest one stack up?

And Tom, did you get any of those new EH loopers? The 2880, or something like that? IIRC, you had a shot of one (under glass) in your super-spectacular NAMM thread..

Really looking forward to hearing your impressions of the H.O.G., too.

Thanks for posting:AOK

8. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

My initial impression was that it's very close to the current NYC Big Muff. I do have one of those as well as a black Russian, so I'll have to get them all out and do some A/B'ing. Then maybe I'll throw my IC Big Muff and Ram's Head into the mix while I'm at it. :dude

I decided not to get the 2880 Super Looper right now because, honestly, I'm pretty broke. :( And I also make it a point to try not to get anything that I wouldn't mind being stuck with, and I can't see the need for me to have one of those right now. The HOG, on the other hand... :RoCkIn

9. Antero

Antero Member

Oh man. I wanna hear about the HOG!

10. moodog

moodog Member

Is it a reissue of the original?

If so does it come with a barf bag?

11. MrSage

MrSage Member

Hey Non-Digital...are the components through-hole or surface-mount?

(how easy are these gonna be to mod?? :) )

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

My wife won't let me buy a Big Muff Pi because she is offended by the name. My local shop had one (big USA reissue) on sale for $69 CDN ($60 US) that had been rented our about half a dozen times and was perfect. So I grabbed it on Friday and I hide it when she's around :D The thing only does 1 sound but it is such a good sound.

conanb likes this.
  13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had this problem with the Woman Tone OD (she cut little pieces of paper to cover the boobs). Maybe just tape something over the name and it can live on your pedalboard.

14. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I guess I'm lucky, my wife never goes anywhere near my gear room...

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

So is the Big Muff really named after the female body? I see Mike's daughter at guitar shows, but afraid I'd get in trouble if I asked her.

I still can't believe no one likes my idea of a guitar body very intentionally shaped like a female body, breast to hip. Curved top extra!

16. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Hey, I was just asking cause he said it looks like a Big Muff, sounds like a Big Muff, was wondering if it fit the rest of the descriptions...

17. modoc

modoc Guest

Same here, must be a wife thing!! I had to make it worse by telling her it was actually a Big Muff Pi :D :D :D

18. Curt

Curt Member

Naaa, it's a not a wife thing. There are still a few wives out there that are actually secure and not offended by something as silly as a name on a guitar pedal. :)

19. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

My wife was highly amused by the Big Muff Pi name. If only I'd enjoyed the tone! My wife would paint the breasts on a pedal if I asked her to...

Carltonh, I dig that idea - sign me up for one! It's a shame fender already used the name broadcaster....

20. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Well, as long as this conversation has degenerated this far...

When I was interviewing Jeorge Tripps for my book, we were discussing the names of the various Way Huge pedals. I mentioned that Electro-Harmonix may have set the trend for the next generation of risqué pedal names like the Z Vex "Super Hard-On" and the like. I told Jeorge that with names like "Swollen Pickle" and "Camel Toe" that the Way Huge line probably had the most suggestive names. He said, "Well it's not like I had a pedal called 'Bloody Gash' or anything like that."

Yeah, I have a whole lot of interview material that didn't make it into the book for obvious reasons. Oh, and I did ask Mike Matthews about the Big Muff name, for the record, and he stuck to the same story he's always had - that the name came from the earlier "Muff Fuzz" which was so named because of its muffled fuzz sound.