Little Big Muff vs. Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zosozep7, Dec 20, 2009.

1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I want to pick one of these pedals up. Are they both the same just one in a smaller casing? Or do they produce different sounds? I cant seem to find anything on the board about this subject. Lets here your opinions!

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I personally prefer the tone of the LBM to all the other mass-produced muff pedals out there, including the EH BMP. Of course, once you go boutique, that's a different story, but for BMP tones on the cheap, the LBM is a great choice.

3. Pat of the Dead

Pat of the Dead Member

Ill take big muff over the little muff. Sounds not as squished to me. But the muff with tone wicker is just as good as the big muff if not better. check out the one with tone wicker.

4. Pat of the Dead

Pat of the Dead Member

on a side note just put a muff back on my pedalboard, and i missed that pedal more than i thought.

5. ABKB

ABKB Member

+1 I took my LBM off a few months back (replaced it with a fuzz factory, which is nice, but not a muff) and will be putting it back on this week. I missed it.

As for a LBM vs. a BM, I do not hear much of a difference if any.

6. Pat of the Dead

Pat of the Dead Member

yeah very subtle difference. to me the lbm sounds like the tone is set a little lower than the big.

7. mam8dg

mam8dg Fuzz Addict Supporting Member

8. Pat of the Dead

Pat of the Dead Member

9. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

There is not a huge difference in the NY reissue BM and the LBM. The big box Big Muff circuit has been revised twice since the reissue came out in 2000, with very slight alterations to the tone, so depending on which circuit you have you may here a little bit of difference between the BM and LBM, or a slightly smaller little bit of difference.

The Tone Wicker version sounds practically identical to the LBM, until you engage the wicker switch.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  10. chart #3

chart #3 Member

I for one thought there was a difference. My Little Big Muff ended up in my bassist's hands (it sounds huge on bass with the amp cranked up, much better than the big-box) and I kept the big-box for guitar. The Little seemed to have more bass, slightly more body but an overall "colder" sound, with more gain but less attitude. In fact, it somewhat felt like being more on the "distortion" side while the big-box felt more fuzzy, if that makes any sense. The big-box seems to have more of that saggy/spongy thing happening on the attacks which makes it a little smoother to me.
    YMMV. Maybe A/B-ing them would be a good idea.

Then of course I'm exaggerating things a bit, the pedals are actually pretty close. I'm not sure I could have told the difference without the side-by-side comparison. Not to mention if you play through an amp that's beginning to cook, it's probably going to be the same anyway.
    Also, as has been suggested, I hear not all big-box Big Muffs sound the same, even when they look like they should. :/

11. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

The LBM has less output, less bass, and more treble than an NYC Big Muff, the LBM is actually based on the russian muff.

12. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Full sized muff any day.

13. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Back when they first came out 100 years ago, the Little Muff was just a smaller package. There's very little to them electronically, so there's not really anything they can leave out to save space or money. I'm not sure if that's the case today. But, I would think anyone who'd sell one would sell the other. Snag a fiddle off the wall and try them both out. That'll tell you everything you need to know.

14. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for all your replies! To be honest, I have the Metal Muff that I aquired last Summer but never played with it until last week. This pedal is unbelievable. Really! I didnt know this thing sounded so good! Now its got me gassing for a Muff. I didnt know if they were a nice sounding as the MM. I appreciate everyones input. Sounds like theres not a whole lot of difference between the 2. I think Ill be traditional and go for the Big Muff.

15. ungarn

ungarn Member

I like the LBM better than both the standard reissue and Tone Wicker...that being said my Ronsound Hairpie Classic trumps all of these, but not what you asked...enjoy the muff quest!

16. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I recommend the full size big muff or the Tone Wicker. I have the TW on my board and I love it.

17. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Another vote for the small version. I've noticed that they are virtually identical but you have to make some adjustments to the settings to get them to sound the same. For example, the tone on my Big Muff is at 1 o'clock and has to be around 2 on the LBM for similar tone.

Oh, and if you run a Micro Amp or some other type of boost before it...WOW! That is an awesome tone!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  18. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

The Metal Muff is not actually a Big Muff circuit. It's a distortion and sounds nothing like a Big Muff, so you may be disappointed if you want more that kind of sound. Try one though, You may love it!

19. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

I had a Little Big Muff and swapped it for a Big Muff with Tone Wicker when they first came out and have never looked back.

I found that without the Wicker the sound of the Muff can get lost in the band mix especially if there are other guitar players.

The Tone Wicker adds extra mids to help it cut through and it really works well.

A lot of people use things like a Tube Screamer to the Big Muff to boost mids.

Cheers

BMF

20. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

A Tube Screamer into a Big Muff Pi? Isn't that like feeding the output of a white noise generator to your amp? You probably couldn't even gate it, what with a S/N ratio approaching 1:1. On the plus side, it would be really metal <grin>