Little divots in my upper frets

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 8Painting, Apr 17, 2008.

1. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I've noticed on my jag that theres some roughness when bending my 15-17th frets. I noticed theres little thin tiny divots presumably from strings, whats the remedy for this? Why did this happen, considering, I dont play these frets nearly as much as the cowboy chord region.

Thanks

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I put a dimarzio Strat type kit guitar in a case that didn't quite fit it right to go to play with some guys. After I got home I noticed dents in a fret from a couple of strings. My guitar guy thought it looked like the guitar had fallen on, or something fell against the neck and hit the area to cause it. After looking at the guitar in the case I figured the case lid squeezed the neck too tight in that area and pressed the strings down into the fret wire.

Jeff

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Ahhh...kind of a bummer, wonder what I could do to not have that problem, maybe a piece of paper inbetween those frets and the strings.

can i just sand these out?

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Fret protectors work wonders in this application, although I would be inclined to find out the source of all this pressure and try to remedy that too. If the dents aren't too bad, polish those frets so they are smooth (I use Micro Mesh for these kinds of touch ups). However, if you've polished the frets and you can still feel the indentations when you play or you notice that notes buzz or fret out when you play in that area, it's time for a fret level & dress.

5. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

A fret protector or some thicker paper would probably do the job.

As far as sanding it out, it's important that the frets are all at the same level. Sanding it out of just a couple frets will probably make those frets too low, and then the strings will buzz at those frets. So, your choices are:

1) If it's not too bad, just live with it.
    2) Get the frets milled - itll cost between $75-$125 or so.

It's a Jaguar? New or vintage? Adjusting the action or truss rod, or the pickups up and down isn't too hard, but fret work is better left to a pro - take it to a good tech, a light mill should totally solve the problem, and it shouldn't take too long or cost too much.

Good Luck, Dana O.

7. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Its a new AVRI 62

Its like the strings were sitting on it, theyre really tiny, they feel just like a rough fret when I bend the strings, theyre really thin in width.

Annoying to say the least.

Where can I get micromesh?

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Micromesh is available at Stewart McDonald.

Dana O.