Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus;The Band, Rock of Ages

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by zzzezums, Mar 1, 2012.

1. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

Two of my favorite albums of live material. Two great bands, stellar playing and interaction, great tunes, both well recorded. When I listen to one I often also think about the other, so I guess I find myself comparing the two albums. Any thoughts about these awesome albums?

2. mannish

mannish Member

Those are in my top 3 favorite rock bands. Columbus is in my top 3 - I have not listened to Rock of Ages as much as I have WFC. Extraordinary record

3. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Two of my favourites too. Never really thought of comparing them. Off the top, WFC is I think quite a bit looser feeling and sounding. But Little Feat was quite a bit looser than The Band.

I dunno. I am not awake. Maybe I will chime in again later.

4. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

I remember discovering WFC when I was about 16 and was blown away. Still one of my favorite bands/albums. Sure miss Lowell too.

5. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Both great albums. WFC is in my top three. I prefer RoA but I think more people would be familiar with The Last Waltz.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Me too, played em both over and over.

Not to knock these great records, just some points. I think WFC has a good bit of overdubs. RofA I heard is largely the rehersal sessions. Don't matter, I still dance.

I've never had a group that can play funky as these guys. I like "Don't Do It" One simple little riff nothing to it. Everytime I try it we sound like a heavey metal band. Also been trying to do "Fatman In The Bathtub" for years, just ain't happining.

7. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

"don't matter, I still dance" - love that!!

8. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I agree with everything said about RoA vs. Last Waltz. I differ in that I'm a Feat fanatic (my favorite band) and think The Band to be one of the all time greats but I'm not quite as passionate abut them as I am about Feat. Anyway, it's all good either way.

9. mannish

mannish Member

I listened to ROA this morning, FOR ME it's not in the same league as WFC.

I might even like the Last Waltz better

like I said both bands are in my top 3 RnR bands with the Allman Brothers

I see Levon is having a Ramble at The Ryman in March that should be good

10. Kevbo599

Kevbo599 Silver Supporting Member

I agree with this. The Last Waltz was on Palladia again the other night and I watched a few songs and the whole time I was wondering how much and what parts were overdubbed (a lot of vocals I imagine, as their lips didn't always match the music. Also I think Levon mentioned in his book that Robbie's mic was shut off.)
    The tempo on some songs (Stagefright, for instance) didn't seem to be quite right to me which I imagine was the result of the substances they were ingesting.
    I still crack up when Neil says "I got it now Robbie"...

11. charley

charley Supporting Member

I feel like this dynamic duo needs NRBQ's Live at Yankee Stadium and then it becomes the trifecta of perfection.

12. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I prefer Rock of Ages over The Last Waltz. I think it was The Band at their peak. I wouldn't compare it with Waiting for Columbus though. Two different animals. I love both bands.

13. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Rock of Ages is a benchmark live album for me. Even the tracks that were used from dress rehearsals are fantastic and carry great energy. The Band is probably my favorite all-time band so there is some bias there, but it's hard to deny how amazing these guys were at their peak. They're so tight on stage it's not even funny.

14. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

I am a big fan of "live" albums - they usually have an energy that isn't there in studio recordings - and ROA and WFC are two of the best. The sound quality on WFC is quite a bit better (IMO) but they are both astonishing recordings by two bands that are impossible to emulate.

15. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

The tempatation to pick up my guitar and "add" something to Rag Mama Rag, or Cripple Creek is overwhelming to me. And about one bar in, I always come to the same conclsion; those recordings need nothing. One extra riff and it stops being funky.

I'd add Traffic to these two bands to make my all time trifecta.

16. facesfan

facesfan Member

I was never into LF that much so WFC...maybe heard it once. Rock Of Ages OTOH is what first got me into The Band so it's top of the heap for me just because there's so much going on with The Band....the playing,the songs,the different lead vocals taking on different characters, it's all just a cut above anything I've ever heard from Little Feat. Lowell George's playing is the main draw for me and the funky rhythms. Other than that it's all kinda flat for me. The Band seems more multi dimensional.

17. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Waiting For Columbus is a really good record, but most of Lowell's stuff (playing and singing) was overdubbed.

18. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Another thing about The Band was the switching around of instruments by everyone except Robbie. Levon played drums and mandolin, Richard played piano and drums, Rick played bass and fiddle, Garth played organ, piano and sax.

19. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Rock of Ages is probably my all-time favorite live album. Amazing performances, especially with the horn section. Waiting for Columbus is definitely a top-5 favorite. Both tremendous records.

20. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Seriously? I didn't know that. I always thought the BGVs must have been overdubbed. They're too perfect.