Little help from John Lee Hooker fans

8raw

This man was the coolest of cool. Saw him back in the day, reviving his stuff lately.

I have Hooker and Heat, and London Sessions. I'd like to buy more.

Anybody have any favorite Hooker albums?

dharmafool

John Lee Hooker The Ultimate Collection (Rhino)
John Lee Hooker Live at Cafe Au Go-Go/Live at Soledad Prison (MCA)
John Lee Hooker Alone (Tomato)

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I grew up on JLH, as a kid in Detroit, dial surfing on my radio & finding "obscure" blues programs. He is the reason I first got a guitar.
Alvis here turned me on to JLH's No Friend Around. It is out of print but I found a NOS copy on the 'bay. It is his earliest Detroit recordings & is so raw & real it makes my neck hairs prickle. Incredible power. The seeds of Rock are all over in this one. It is a precious find, one of my all time favorite blues albums.

Alvis

I grew up on JLH, as a kid in Detroit, dial surfing on my radio & finding "obscure" blues programs. He is the reason I first got a guitar.
Alvis here turned me on to JLH's No Friend Around. It is out of print but I found a NOS copy on the 'bay. It is his earliest Detroit recordings & is so raw & real it makes my neck hairs prickle. Incredible power. The seeds of Rock are all over in this one. It is a precious find, one of my all time favorite blues albums.
Awesome
I found mine on vinyl in 1984 when I was 21 yrs old. NOTHIN beats early Hooker

That's My Story from 1960. If you're familiar with Muddy Waters' Folk Singer, it's got a similar laid-back acoustic vibe. Hooker is joined by Sam Jones on bass and Louis Hayes on drums, who were both part of Cannonball Adderley's band.

conanb

Reading Boogie Man at the moment so listening back to all my old JLH stuff. So good. Gonna try and track down a copy of No Friend Around. That's My Story is on YouTube but no sign of No Friend Around anywhere

teledude55

I got to see him live up here in Seattle in 1996. So thankful for that show. He was one of the greats. R.I.P.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I used to see him all the time at Jack's in the Fillmore in SF. He hung out there and sat in with the band whenever he felt like it. He ended up buying the place.

Trending Topics