1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little help here...

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 94prs22, Oct 30, 2005.

1. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

Do you guys think this is too effecty, too much bass, too indistinct on the bass? I'm not sure I'm completely happy with it, but I'm also not completely sure what I'd like to improve/change. Would you add a solo between one of the main theme--interlude sections? It's a pretty true to the original arrangement of the classic Jerry Goldsmith theme to Our Man Flint.
    Thanks all,
    Brandon

Our Man Flint

2. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I think it is cool. I think the drums are a little buried... but aside from that... cool and trippy!

Me

3. headstack

headstack Member

As said, the drums are buried and there is a bit much on the bottom.
    Kinda murks it up a bit. Think about making the bass punchy and then tweak a bit of bottom on after. It will make the whole mix sound nice and heavy without interfering with the rest of the mix. It is typical for folks to want everything in the mix to sound big. The problem is ... There just aint room for each track to be FAT. Think separation and if ya have a spectrum analyser, mix with it. it will open your eyes.
    Fun changes though and I even jammed over em already!:)

4. 94prs22

Thanks for listening guys. Here's another mix, with some new guitar sound effects too. My set up for recording is pretty sparse, everything is recorded to a Boss BR-1180cd and I do all of the instrument playing (it's a Boss DR770 for the drums). I'm still trying to figure out how to lay down punchy drums and bass so that you can hear them, but without everything getting to fat. I'm not sure that the second mix is much thinner, but I think it's a bit better.
    Brandon

Our Man Flint version 2

5. 94prs22

This is the best mix so far, I think anyway, the drums are better. For anyone listening who's interested the little single note synthy buzz that's doubling the guitar and becoming more prominent during the main theme as the tune goes along, it's a Roland Juno 60 using one of the organ patches (14 I think, I didn't write it down) through a PE Experience with the fuzz and octave engaged. Every at home recorder needs a polyphonic analog synth.

Brandon

Our Man Flint version 3