Little Joe is one of the new guitar heroes...

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I've been watching him evolve over the last several years...and the guy just keeps breaking boundaries each time I see him playing live somewhere. He's always changing stuff up.

In this clip...he just kills the solo and then at 3:00....he just does his own thing that is just so bad ass. La This seems to be something he started to do during Long White Line

The thing I'm most afraid of is our band is starting to get requests for Sturgill...and I'm not sure how I'm going to pull his stuff off. The band has SUCH a groove...oh and then he starts killing slide....

I need a cigarette....

EricPeterson

The thing I'm most afraid of is our band is starting to get requests for Sturgill...and I'm not sure how I'm going to pull his stuff off. The band has SUCH a groove...oh and then he starts killing slide....

I need a cigarette....

We do that one, but even try to go what Little Joe does.

I agree with you though, Little Joe is just killing it.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I just went to the (SS) web site- no upcoming live dates. Anyone know anything?

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I saw him maybe a year ago...and it was the last show of the tour. It was a makeup date apparently because his allergies in the South East killed him. He said they had been on tour for two years. It was a great show....but they did look tired. They opened with a barn burner jam that really set the tone for the show. I like that he's evolving but hasn't forgotten his roots.
One of the tightest bands I've seen...up there with Tedeschi/Trucks, and that's saying something. They enjoy the groove...they play for the love of it...and strive for new boundaries.

Thinsocks

He gigs around town with various people when he's not on the road. Always sounds great and it's cool to hear him stretch out a bit in different styles.

EricPeterson

I saw a vid of him covering "Third Stone from the Sun"... which he absolutely destroys. I think I remember seeing some Jeff Beck covers too. Mind-blowingly good.
Laur operates on another level than us mere mortals. I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I think the story is that he really never listened to much country prior to joining up with Sturgill, Sturgill had seen some clips or something, reached out, asked if he wanted to tour the states and Laur jumped right in, head first, and just picked it all up instantly.

Same with pedal steel, for the last album Sturgill wanted pedal steel, Laur just sort of figured it out.

I would say he is an inspiration, but it all seems to come so innately to him, like on a level that can't be taught, he just has it naturally.

S1Player

He is a great player. I saw them on this tour a bit ago. And, unfortunately, with the horns and new arrangements - a lot of the guitar soloing was cut. In addition, he seemed to spend a lot more time on the steel guitar. All of that's fine - but I really wanted the solos on songs like Railroad of Sin. But, the Guitar had to share solo time with Horns and keys.

Was disappointed with the amount of spot light time Laur got.

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
Laur operates on another level than us mere mortals. I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I think the story is that he really never listened to much country prior to joining up with Sturgill, Sturgill had seen some clips or something, reached out, asked if he wanted to tour the states and Laur jumped right in, head first, and just picked it all up instantly.

I remember reading that Dave Cobb (produced MetaModern Sounds) was working with Rival Sons, their drummer, Michael Miley, apparently married a girl from Estonia. He was over there for an extended period and met Laur and loved his playing. Miley played Cobb some clips.....later when Cobb was with Sturgill and Sturgill needed an electric player, Cobb played Sturgil the clips, they contacted him through Miley, got him a Visa, and Laur has been Sturgill's guy since. I think he started with a 3 year VISA or something like that so I'm wondering if that is up for renewal soon.

ZeyerGTR

I really dug that clip, thanks for sharing. Heard the name, but never listened before - I'm glad I did!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom