Little Lehle Heads Up

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Option, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Option

Option Member

I was in need of an A/B switch for my Tophat Supreme Sixteen and after doing some poking around on the internet, I decided on the Little Lehle as a good solution since I don't need to run both channels at the same time.

I had to send the unit back and here's why:
    When you step on the swich to go from A to B, the signal is re-routed as soon as you press down on the pedal. But when you want to switch from B to A, when you step on the switch, nothing happens until you release the switch. So if you're used to switching sounds on a downbeat, nothing happens until you release the switch, and the tone change happens after you intended it to. You can time it correctly by stepping on the switch early and releasing it on the beat, but I don't have any extra hard drive space in my brain to remember if I'm going from A to B, or B to A. Singing and Playing and simple switching is plenty to worry about.

No complaints on the quality of the unit, but I downloaded the manual before I bought the pedal and nothing was mentioned about the way the switch works. I'm sure I'm not the first one to return the switch for this reason and I felt a little misled.

I ended up building the A/B switcher on the Fulltone site and it works great.

Anyhow, just a heads up.

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Forget the switch, how's the Supreme sixteen!!??!?!

3. Option

Option Member

IT IS AWESOME! Funnest, best-sounding amp I've ever had, and I've had MANY! The AC15 channel is unbelievable. I feel like I've finally got the dirt I've always been looking for. Super-detailed, complex distortion, but the fundamental is clear and rides on top of the dirt. Very, very impressive.

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

You should head over to the Tophat forum, great bunch of guys, they welcomed me a month ago with open arms!

5. Option

Option Member

Thanks JackButler. Actually, that's where I heard about the Supreme Sixteen. Ordered one sight unseen against some serious inner doubts, but I've gotta say it might be my best gear purchase ever. I'm floored. I just don't play my other amps anymore. Only keeping them 'cuz they're vintage and it seems like every time I sell one I regret it since their value keeps going up. I just love the idea that I don't need any dirt pedals with this amp. The pedals I used to rely on just sound so fake to me now. Sorry, I digress, I'm just having so much fun playing this amp...

6. pepperco

pepperco Member

Thanks for the heads up,
    I will avoid that pedal at all costs.

I HATE switchers that do that,
    I had a Marshall that had a switcher
    like this......worthless for gigging.

Turns on when you take your foot OFF ?
    Not in my world....

7. Option

Option Member

Thanks for the backup pepperco! I was pretty disgusted when I hooked it up and tried it out. Like you said, worthless for gigging.

8. jbro

jbro Member

That's pretty weird. I think I'd be ok with it if it worked one way or the other.. but not both. I was thinking about ordering 3 of these, too.. I'm getting some popping sounds with my looopers (when used with buffered pedals), and I heard that the Lehles are silent. Guess I'll have to look somewhere else or just deal with the pop.

9. Option

Option Member

jbro,
    You can put a 1MΩ resistor across the Tip and Sleeve on the return jack of a loop pedal and it will get rid of the pop. I was leery of doing it because it seems like it would suck tone, but honestly, I couldn't hear any difference after adding it except the pop disappeared. Here's something I read on a site called geofex.com about it:

A word about pops and clicks - almost all effects are powered by a single 9V battery, and this means that for DC biasing reasons they have both an input and an output DC blocking capacitor to carry the signal into and out of the circuit. No capacitor is perfect, and whenever the outermost end of either capacitor is open-circuited by a hard (mechanical) bypass switch, the leakage will allow some of the voltage to bleed into the outer terminal. When the capacitor is again connected, it no longer perfectly matches the average ground level of the signal, and this voltage is coupled into the signal path as a pop, the loudness of which depends on the size of the capacitor and the amount of the voltage change. The cure is simple - put another resistor on the outermost lead of the cap to pull it to ground permanently, even when the bypass switch is open. Leakage current from the capacitor is conducted to ground by the pull-down resistors and so no DC-offset pop can occur. For the purposes of curing leakage-clicks, the resistors can be quite large, from 1M to many megohms.

If you do add the resistor, it will only affect the "Loop" circuit, it's effectively switched out when the pedal is in "Bypass" mode, and when the loop is engaged, you've got other junk (the effect) in the signal path anyway. I'm no electronics wiz, but I've tried it and my ears can't hear the difference. Hope this helps.

10. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Wow - it would never have occurred to me that this was a problem with the Lehle! I have two and mainly use them for keeping my tuner out of the signal path. I love them because they are super quiet, don't pop and are small. Just push it quickly and you'll be fine surely? I use a few different pedals for boosts during songs and the switches are often confusing as to when the effect is engaged - some even mute while switching. My solution is just to be quick.

I'm not doubting that it's an issue, just surprised!

11. jbro

jbro Member

Interesting.. I'll give that a try and post my results.

:AOK

12. reason24

reason24 Member

So let me get this straight...

This pedal is problematic because it doesn't switch until you release the button... and this is screwing up your timing?

It just puzzles me because I own a Little Lehle myself, and it is far and away the best switcher I have ever owned. The other switchers, as well as many other pedals, use industrial style buttons, originally intended for heavy machinery. The mushroom style buttons on the Lehles allow them to function for thousands of button depressions without any contact issues within the unit - a common problem with any stomp box. On top of that, the signal integrity, durability, and just overall aesthetics of it make it worlds better than anything I've come across.

So, I definitely would not discourage anybody from buying any of Lehle's products - even if you aren't able to keep time.