Little Martha

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by hasserl, Feb 18, 2006.

1. hasserl

hasserl Member

Here's a clip I did out in the shop of an old Allman Bros tune. This was done with a digital camera in movie mode, so the quality is not so great, and my 10 year old son was operating it. But I still think it's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7hr6YdfL8E

2. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Have not heard that song in a longtime, forgot what a great piece of music that is...well played with a cool tone and a killer guitar. what is the guitar
    you are playing? that was cool, thanks.....

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

Thans Sub-D. That's an old Kay archtop. All mohagony construction, very different. It's baseball bat thick neck feels very good, kind of strange at first but after a few minutes it feels very natural.

The Allman's did that tune with Duanne on a Dobro and Dicky Betts on a flat top. This guitar seems to kind of bridge the tone of those two. It works well for slide work too. I'll use a flat top for more traditional acoustic work, but I grab that one for bluesy stuff.

4. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Nice pickin-the stream from youtube isnt great tho-
    that Kay has a punchy mid range-very nice.
    Nice rendition-so nice to hear AC gt. for a change too.

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

Thank you John. The strong mid's of that guitar give it some good cutting power, which was the whole idea at the time archtops became so popular, due to the scarcity of amplification. It helped to be heard in the company of other instuments.

Youtube doesn't stream well. I've learned that it's best to just let the video load first. I turn the volume down and go do something else while it's loading, then view it after it's loaded.

6. Moose

Moose Member

Beautiful song. One of my favorite of all time. I used to play it quite a bit but, oddly, the only recording I have of my playing it came at a friend's house. He had a mexican 000 sized guitar hanging on the wall with strings that had to be a year old, and action a half inch off the fretboard. I think he uses it almost exclusively for slide. Anyway, he handed it to me and said "Play something" so this is what I played.

http://www.toneslut.com/sounds/samples/lilmarta bounce.mp3

The clip is mic'd with a radioshack mic through a behringer board into a CD recorder.

7. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member