• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Little Simz: can she really play?

tostyj

A student of mine just picked the song "Poison Ivy" by Little Simz. I used YouTube to listen to the song so I could transcribe it for her. At first I was so excited to see a young, female artist incorporating guitar into hip hop (actually I still am psyched about that). The problem arose as I watched her hands. During the main chordal part, her hands almost match what's being played, but not quite. Then a little solo (that's sampled and repeated) comes up that's cool but once again, it doesn't look like her fingers match.

So I'm wondering if she played these parts in the studio or not??

Also, wondering what people think about the whole thing in general? By thing I mean, what if she can't actually play the parts? Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Just curious what y'all's take on this would be.

Here's the vid:

Last edited:

Clyde Billt

Gold Supporting Member
The solo parts sound precise and clear and sound like they were played by someone who was fairly proficient.
The slow vibrato, for example, has clearly been worked on. I would expect that if she played the solo parts on the recording then she would naturally place her fingers in the exact same way when being filmed, and that isn't the case.
The chords are fairly straightforward. It wouldn't take much time to get that down, even with the hammer ons.
Check out how she plays it live.
NPR Music Tiny Desk

My guess is she probably didn't play on the recording but she can play guitar and either learnt it after or possibly wrote the chords while writing the song.

Not my cup of tea.
I do listen to a fair amount of R&B/rap/hip-hop/garage/grime etc and there is a lot to like. There is also a lot of crap.
There is also a lot of stuff in between and this falls into that category for me.
She has been praised by a lot of people in that genre that I do like (Dizzee, Kendrick, Ms Dyanmite and others).
I'm very happy to see young artists using real instruments so I'm just gonna sit back and see how she develops.

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
The solo parts sound precise and clear and sound like they were played by someone who was fairly proficient.
The slow vibrato, for example, has clearly been worked on. I would expect that if she played the solo parts on the recording then she would naturally place her fingers in the exact same way when being filmed, and that isn't the case.
The chords are fairly straightforward. It wouldn't take much time to get that down, even with the hammer ons.
Check out how she plays it live.
NPR Music Tiny Desk
That Tiny Desk clip should come with a tuning alert.

Trending Topics