Little Tommy Bukovac - Homeskoolin’ = best thing on YouTube, sharing Guitar Wisdom

buddyboy69

Look forward to his show daily. So freaking musical, and his timing is spot on. Not knowing who he was at first I was able to backtrack and see that I play a bunch of his riffs from the modern country band I was in. Those riffs are what made me enjoy playing that style. He's great.

jhumber

Unreal. I’m a big fan of the show, and his playing, and have listened to a lot of his interviews / tracked down some of the big records he’s played on. But seriously, if you really read through that list....it’s nothing short of astonishing. He must have forgotten more hit records he’s played on that most could ever imagine.

Edit to add: I actually asked a similar question on one if his vids but he didn't pick it up, along the lines of: have you ever heard a track on the radio, dug the guitar part, then realised it was you? He must have....

Last edited:

shadowbox

Silver Supporting Member
I just finished watching all of his Corona Diaries and his Homeskoolin’. Heck, I posted a comment to a YouTube video - a first for me.

So refreshing - his playing is so fluid and wonderful; his addiction to organ-based riffs is so inspiring. And his plainspoken talk - he’s not covering the typical sh!t, and isn’t shilling anyone’s product.

He’s the Sam Elliott of Journeyman Guitarists, and He Abides.

Thank you, Sensei.

In case someone wanders in, here is an example. He plays for a couple of minutes, reads viewer questions and then offers deep insights on how he builds chords, plays grooves, and navigates sessions.

Here’s the first when he changed the name to Homeskoolin’ and really started to take off:
Home Skoolin is the only good thing to come out of the coronavirus lockdown.

WordMan

Silver Supporting Member
Episode #37 is up (and my Rolling Rock Homeskoolin’ T-shirt arrived! Woo!)

“When you are laying guitar parts down, think of each as a character with a role to play in the song.”

That’s some wisdom, right there.

@27sauce - Tom is a Rock guy who has mastered the Country Guitar vernacular to huge success. You are a pro Country Guitarist who is always posting to the Rock threads, adding information, context, and insights - i.e., you are clearly a Rock guy, alongside your success in Country.

How should ignorant folks like me put you and Tom in perspective? Is it a case that there is a pie chart of Country Pros, and some % wedge of that pie are Rock guys, too? Or are most Country Pros steeped in Rock, with Vince Gill in The Eagles, Brad Paisley playing Eruption during his shows, etc. Or is there a small cadre of Rock guys who simply decided Nashville was a Guitar Town so they adapted, which Bukovac clearly states is the case for him.

Asking it far more reductively: Is Country Guitar “exactly” the same as Rock Guitar, you just happen to be surrounded by a fiddle, a pedal steel and a heavy-strummed dread?

Last edited:

27sauce

Episode #37 is up (and my Rolling Rock Homeskoolin’ T-shirt arrived! Woo!)

“When you are laying guitar parts down, think of each as a character with a role to play in the song.”

That’s some wisdom, right there.

@27sauce - Tom is a Rock guy who has mastered the Country Guitar vernacular to huge success. You are pro Country Guitarist who is always posting to the Rock threads, adding information, context, and insights - i.e., you are clearly a Rock guy, alongside your success in Country.

How should ignorant folks like me put you and Tom in perspective? Is it a case that there is a pie chart of Country Pros, and some % wedge of that pie are Rock guys, too? Or are most Country Pros steeped in Rock, with Vince Gill in The Eagles, Brad Paisley playing Eruption during his shows, etc. Or is there a small cadre of Rock guys who simply decided Nashville was a Guitar Town so they adapted, which Bukovac clearly states is the case for him.

Asking it far more reductively: Is Country Guitar “exactly” the same as Rock Guitar, you just happen to be surrounded by a fiddle, a pedal steel and a heavy-strummed dread?
I think it comes down to work, relationships, and circles/scenes. As styles/trends change you see more players of a certain sound become prominently displayed. That goes for other instruments as well. It’s not as sudden or clear cut as seems from the outside. The songs and producers really set the tone. Before you know it guys that play like Bukovac and Landau are on more tracks than the Brent Rowans of the world. There are guys that ride the fence of traditional country and modern country with ease. Brent mason is more of a chameleon than he gets credit for. Same for Huff, Grissom, JT Corenflos...

It’s easy to fetishize the traditional sound, from the outside and the inside. I think there’s more of a conscious effort to do that style than to be a rock guy playing country. Sounds and styles have been integrated for so long. There really are no pure breeds any more. 1965 was a long time ago.

As for country guys going into rock...just check out how many country players were in the Wrecking Crew. Not to mention Tulsa, Muscle Shoals...a ton of top 40 pop and rock was cut by country guys.

There’s a great episode of Dwight Yoakam’s XM show where he interviews Michael Nesmith. Nesmith comments on all the LA session guys that were country guys and their concerted effort to “de-twang” themselves on pop records.

WordMan

Silver Supporting Member
I think it comes down to work, relationships, and circles/scenes. As styles/trends change you see more players of a certain sound become prominently displayed. That goes for other instruments as well. It’s not as sudden or clear cut as seems from the outside. The songs and producers really set the tone. Before you know it guys that play like Bukovac and Landau are on more tracks than the Brent Rowans of the world. There are guys that ride the fence of traditional country and modern country with ease. Brent mason is more of a chameleon than he gets credit for. Same for Huff, Grissom, JT Corenflos...

It’s easy to fetishize the traditional sound, from the outside and the inside. I think there’s more of a conscious effort to do that style than to be a rock guy playing country. Sounds and styles have been integrated for so long. There really are no pure breeds any more. 1965 was a long time ago.

As for country guys going into rock...just check out how many country players were in the Wrecking Crew. Not to mention Tulsa, Muscle Shoals...a ton of top 40 pop and rock was cut by country guys.

There’s a great episode of Dwight Yoakam’s XM show where he interviews Michael Nesmith. Nesmith comments on all the LA session guys that were country guys and their concerted effort to “de-twang” themselves on pop records.
Great stuff - thanks for that!

gimmejava

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, sure thing! I saw his review of Tom and his lovely and talented wife Sarah Buxton sing Genesis. Fun to watch the guy love Tom’s chords.

I listened to the Thinkin’ and Drinkin’ podcast - a really, really good interview of Tom.
Thanks for the podcast reference. This looks great and the have a ton of interesting interviews. I’ll definitely give it a listen.

mikebat

@Marc Roy was the one who reminded me to go back and listen, and I appreciate that.

I never knew Tom was until I say the rig rundown, and his matter of factly manner is what most impressed me about him. Then I read his credits, the man is for real.

His playing has the same impression I have of when I hear Tim Pierce, always right in the pocket. Tim has posted more "burning up the fretboard" videos of late, because...I think that is what people want from him, but otherwise...Tim is like Tommy, the right part, played the right way, with the right sound.

Marc Roy

I watch his Homeskoolin' vids regularly. It's a bright spot in this whole pandemic crap. Tom tells it like it is, and always puts up some seriously tasty playing. I'd love to have a beer or two with him. I've learned more from these videos than the usual lesson type videos on YouTube.
I'd order a Homeskoolin' t-shirt if shipping to Canada didn't cost as much as the shirt itself.:bitch

Yer Blues

I got my green shirt in the mail yesterday. I think it took about a week... not too long at all.

Tom has posted on here a couple times....

WordMan

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I got my Tommy Rolling Rock shirt here in California pretty quickly. It must be a good shirt, per Tom’s feistiness about promo t-shirts needing to be soft and well-made: my gf grabbed it as a nightshirt ;)

Marc Roy

I think Tom should ask Rolling Rock for an endorsement deal of some kind. It seems to be his brand of choice in most of his videos.:cool:

Blix

Silver Supporting Member
I' ve been a fan of Tom for years, so happy to see he's getting some well deserved recognition at last. He's amazing. Music just pours out of him.

TNJ

What coffee does he drink?
He mentioned it on an earlier episode. Said Sarah got it at Costco.
I know Im a fanboy, but I’m always looking for good coffee beans for sale locally.
I also have the black HomeSkoolin t-shirt!

Sj

pwilson

Silver Supporting Member
Did he mention which looper pedal he uses on the videos?

Last edited:

mtcoolg

What coffee does he drink?
He mentioned it on an earlier episode. Said Sarah got it at Costco.
I know Im a fanboy, but I’m always looking for good coffee beans for sale locally.
I also have the black HomeSkoolin t-shirt!

Sj
Don Pablo Signature Blend as I recall.

Reactions: TNJ

Trending Topics