Little Wing - solo ideas

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by eddie101, May 19, 2008.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

The spotlight is on and it's your time to take solo, what scale/modes would you play over the chord changes in the song? Also, Hiram Bullock played some killer solo when he played the tune with Sting. The 2nd Q is WHAT exactly did he play? Thx, Ed

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

is this the version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWoEjo-SIE

don't really see much to it, but that was just one listen

played a long with it, sounds like the key is G, did not find and F or F# that was played so it could be C, there is some C notes played, so probably with out spending more time on it I would play out of E Minor, which is what I did though it was just a first time through seemed to work well.

I started out on the 7th fret A string E minor pentatonic and moved the 12 fret E minor pentatonic, and added C notes, seemed to work for the song, nice version had not heard it before,

3. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I think that was it. Well, what the heck did he play? Sounds minor - A natural minor scale, perhaps? I am just guessing here, of course :)

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I added to my check, played along with the solo and I tell you what I did, some things will take time to work up but it seemed to fit an E minor pentatonic with a C note played a few times, never found a f or f# but I think the key is G or E minor if you will.

5. eddie101

eddie101 Member

It is the key of Em, I believe, and he is doing more than just pentatonic scale thing but hey, what do I know...

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

he certainly is doing stuff, most of it fits the E minor scale, as I said I found the A string 7th fret E minor seemed to work then move to the 12th fret E minor, alot of good stuff in the song. good luck.

7. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I didn't check out the Sting version, and can't remember it at all, but given my druthers, I'd say the best approach to this tune is to target the chord tones, as I'm pretty sure this is where the 'magic' lies in the Hendrix track.

Em, G, Am, Em, Bm, Am, G, C, D

It's E-minor, but occasionally there's an Fsus2. Look at targeting chord tones as your sustained notes, plus 2nds/9ths...maybe build up to a big Em pentatonic flashy bit.

Good luck,

Kris

Edit: I checked out the Sting version....my advice still stands, except, while just jamming over it thought it sounded cool periodically to drop the F natural in there, even though it's technically not in key. It is in the song, and that's more important, if you put it in the right spot (where the second G appears in my chord list), it's brilliant. FWIW, the Hiram Bullock solo sounded mostly penatonic, whereas the sax solo (Marsalis?) sounded more diatonic to me. I think Hiram got a good blend between doing something fresh, and respecting the original...good job.

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Don't think about scales/modes, think about chord changes. I listened to the Sting version, on the guitar solo it's all basic blues box patterns/licks with focus on the notes in the chord and a couple of those extra notes thrown in. He does like to lay on the 4ths over Emin (more of a sus sound) and at one point plays a 9th over the Emin, and another plays a C as a passing tone.

You can play E minor pentatonic over the whole thing, but E aeolian is the "proper" mode for most of it. Only difference would be over the Bmin chord- a lot of times they'll throw natural 9th on that chord and that puts you in E dorian, but again if you're thinking of the chords that's a non-issue and easy to deal with. On the Sting version that guy likes to play licks over the Bmin | Amin section that hint at a descending chromatic movement (Bmin-Bbmin-Amin). Again, not an issue if you're thinking of chords rather than scales.

My advice- pick an E blues box pattern, and within that pattern learn the arpeggios for all the chords in the tune. Learn to accentuate these notes and how to lead to them. Learn how to string arpeggios together within that blues box. After you get playing over the basic chords down then you can start subbing chords for more colors. For instance, a D triad over the Emin chord (which implies that sus sound I mentioned earlier).

The only other issue is the turnaround, but again chord licks is what you want there, not scale licks.

9. Swain

Swain Member

10. brad347

brad347 Member

Isn't Hendrix's original in Eb, not E?

:)

As for "advice," harmonically there's not a whole lot to the tune that's difficult to hear. I'd suggest the age old advice of practicing soloing over it with no guitar in your hands at all. Just sing over it. What kinds of ideas do you hear?

Then when you pick up the guitar again, you will want to play the same sorts of ideas you were singing. You know the drill. :)

11. mds

mds Member

Yeah, hendrix tuned down a half step....this is a good song to practice playing changes on. You can always go back to E blues stuff, but try to hit the chords, especially the bm-Bb-am thing...hitting an F on the Bb chord is always nice...

12. eddie101

eddie101 Member

What do you mean by that?

13. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Over that little section you have Bmin-Bbmin-Amin, minor chords descending chromatically. F is the 5th of Bbmin, if you play that note over that chord it will help your line to imply that chord change.

And of course F is a fairly "out" note in the context of E aeolian harmony, so it can be an ear grabbing sound.

14. mds

mds Member

Exactly...sometimes it can be very good to be really explicit about how you're playing over a non-diatonic chord. It telegraphs to the listener that you know what you're doing...haha...can be overdone, but when working on these things its really good to go a bit over the top with hitting the harmony so you get really good at it...it will also train you're ear to hear it that way.