Little Wing Unfinished?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarsan, Jul 13, 2019.

1. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

What warts? I always loved that song and heard no flaws.

One thing, the vinyl version is likely to sound better, as that was the medium it was meant for.

2. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Although I give Sting huge credit for always hiring and working with great Musicians...It was Hiram Bullock who absolutely took that awesome song someplace very unique and special.

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I thought Jimi's version is a beautiful song, Stevie's version (and I love Stevie) a wank fest.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    beanbass, sahhas, Cornbread and 3 others like this.
  4. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I love it as well. I won't say they weren't shooting for perfection, but if that was not obtainable "good enough" served their purposes. There's a few flaws here and there in terms of timing (slight rushes), probably attributed to the bass playing when drums were tracked (which Jimi may have re-recorded), and some voice cracking on "It's all right...".

It's not a demo. It was released on an official album during Jimi's lifetime. It has a couple of issues, but nothing that kills the magic. It is just 2:27, which makes me think what they thought of it. Single material? Probably just Chas saying "It's great. That's enough, let's move on".

SnidelyWhiplash and guitarsan like this.
  5. SDB

SDB Member

Yeah, me too. Derek and the Dominoes In Concert is one of the best live albums ever, IMO.

I like Jim's version almost as much, and a Steve's version a little bit less.

gigs likes this.
  6. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've always anticipated another verse or even maybe two. However , it was faded out shy of 2:30.

8. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Supporting Member

Well, that settles that then.

9. mtayl339

mtayl339 Member

Definitive version right here.

/thread

pickaguitar likes this.
  10. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

This thread seems 'unfinished'. Comes across as casual, almost like a demo.:D

11. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

I first fell in love with Little Wing with Jimi’s live version from Hendrix in the West. It’s probably been released in other places as well. So that was always my point of reference. The studio version didn’t do that much for me and I really kind of dislike Clapton’s version. I eventually got to like it but almost as a completely different song. There’s something about those big power chord flourishes in the intro and played throughout that have nothing to do with the beautiful, almost delicate tune that Jimi wrote and played. It’s like Little Wing as played by the London Philharmonic... Stevie’s instrumental is a bit over the top but it’s more or less true to Jimi’s live version and it’s my second favorite version.

12. mattyfraza

mattyfraza Member

Plus 1 for the In the West version, with its Venusian intro and outro. Like the most reassuring and pain free snooze button mini dream.

Duffy Pratt likes this.
  13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Heard this song played SOOO many times. I actually never learned it myself, mainly because of SRV. LOL

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Jimi's Little Wing is perfect. It needs nothing.
    SRV's version is a wank fest. An exercise in excess.
    Stings version is second only to Jimi's

15. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

'Axis' I believe was recorded quickly, they were young, strong & hitting on all cylinders. Kind of like all great bands with 'the 2nd album'- Beatles, Zep, VH, Robin Trower, Yes....the opposite of a sophomore slump.

The phasing I believe was Eddie Kramer manipulating the tape, a novel technique at the time.

Funny, way back, hearing that song, my dad ( who was a greatest generation professional musician) commented ' sounds like he has some idea what he's doing, at least when he's not all potted up'.

TubeStack, Laurence and aaronblues like this.
  16. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I still like the Hendrix version the best by far.

17. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

How do you define “power chords?” The definition I’m familiar with is root-fifth, but there are none of those in D&D’s “Little Wing.” The third is the most prominent note in that first chord.

18. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Nope. The original version is perfection. SRV's version is entirely unnecessary.

19. Kennybeeinfl

Kennybeeinfl Member

I think he said what he had to say and that was it. It remains sublime to me.

TalismanRich and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  20. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Yeah... another fan of the Axis version... Yes, could so without the too loud tuned percussion.
    SRV a nice tribute, but not essential. Also didn't dig EC's Layla version.
    Sting version mixed down any Gill Evans contribution. Hiram was great, but that chorus sound hasn't aged well.
    Saw Sting play Little Wing live and it was offensive - was not Hiram or Domenic Miller on guitar, but whoever it was was instructed to do all the corny showbiz guitar moves (behind head, w/ teeth, fake guitar smashing...). Hardly a fitting or respectful tribute.

Cornbread and Thumpalumpacus like this.