Little Wing Unfinished?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarsan, Jul 13, 2019.

1. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

Hendrix covered Hendrix the best (my opinion) but I appreciate all the covers of Hendrix songs.

It exposes new generations to the music who can then experience the originals and form their own opinions...

2. mojojasons

mojojasons Member

What a weird observation. Why would he put a demo of a song on his second album? It's not like it was on Crash landing or anything. Listen to it again...and then again.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  3. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

No, I can't say I would agree at all. It's an absolutely perfect piece of music, the way it is.

SnidelyWhiplash and theanthonyv like this.
  4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think a lot has to do with the ending. It fades out in an unusually fast rate. For one thing when he gets to the guitar solo, the whole build up seems to be that this is going to be an extended solo. The phrasing is beautiful, starts out slowly, builds slowly and then, a very fast fade out.

From historical music recordings, back then, fast fade outs on jams often tended to mean that there was something that didn’t fit well, so they want to fade out before that point. That’s what it feels like.

I love the recording, always have, but even from first listen it seemed musically odd that it faded out there. All indications musically were that this would extend. So that may be where this idea comes from.

deeohgee likes this.
  5. swampstomper

swampstomper Member

I agree the fade seems abrupt but to me it eventually became part of the magic of the track. Left you wanting more.

deeohgee likes this.
  6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just different feel I guess. For me there is a fine line between getting enough and wanting more.
    It’s actually s tribute to the song, that those beautiful chord changes, what Hendrix did in the little bit of solo we got (and again, it didn’t seem resolved, it seemed to be building, am very sure there was a longer playing or else hit some notes he didn’t like and stopped. The solo doesn’t resolve and points to more of a build) didn’t just leave me wanting more, but with a slightly chested feeling that we missed out in what happens next.

Again, I do love the song, it is one of many of his I love, but that detail makes it seem incomplete to me.

7. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

I always thought the brevity of it was one of its strengths.

Papanate and deeohgee like this.
  8. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

It is called Real. A lost art.

9. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

I like the Axis and D&D versions equally. Clapton and crew really just did it their own way and made it their own. Hendrix version has that fantastic R&B ryhthm playing and those tasty leads.

10. SingleMalt

SingleMalt Member

Don't forget this version, which at the time was a tribute by Eric Clapton on the recent passing of his friend, Jimi...

big mike likes this.
  11. SingleMalt

SingleMalt Member

I agree that Jimi's version seemed unfinished. It could have been a demo or a working template that would have been finished later. Still, it is a great song by a Master. I do like SRV's version, and while it is long, is filled with great playing, great tone, pickup changes, overdrive on, overdrive off, clean dirty, etc. SRV was, as we all know, a huge fan of Jimi and I'm sure his version was a memorial tribute to his guitar hero.

As for the length of SRV's version, I remember reading once that after a particularly long performance of Texas Flood, Stevie said, "I just had to get it out." I think his extended Little Wing was his way of "getting it out."

12. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

His Producer? Chas Chandler was his manager and producer - Eddie Kramer and Hendrix mixed the tracks and Chandler stamped his approval. And Nobody was telling Hendrix to 'tone it down' - quite the opposite - they wanted more of his playing and creativity on record. As to the short and sweetness of the recording - with the rather abrupt end - One of those three (I don't remember which) had said that Little Wing was an intro to another song - but when they were listening to the playback to mix the song - they realized what they had - and were going to recut it - but two issues stood in the way. First Hendrix didn't think he could capture lightening again - and more importantly they didn't have the money or time - the Record Company wanted the album out.

There are many versions of Little Wing out and about. And in my opinion nearly all of them miss the point - SRV completely takes the gentleness and floating magic of the song and bludgeons it with an extended lead and harder more aggressive playing. Stings version - whatever - his ego is all over it and he doesn't let the song out - but he does let his pompous 'look at how great I am playing a Hendrix song' attitude come forth.

13. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

This just happened to be the first version of the song I heard, and it may have really been the (post D&D) Clapton's All-Star jam ' Rainbow Concert' version, I first heard.

Things happen like this- I heard Foghat's " I Just Want To Make Love to You" long before Muddy Waters..

I remember when first hearing Jimi"s " Little Wing," how sparse and quiet it was to what I had first heard ( D&D's version by contrast is an EXPLOSION- but I love both)

Now, like many, I sing and play it all the time ( probably enjoy it best on an acoustic, as it keeps me from doing too stupid/reckless or loud stuff over changes...) and stretch it out way too long, but folks dig it-I think we all ( musicians and listeners) love making some kind of connection to Jimi.

swampstomper likes this.
  14. guitarsan

guitarsan Member

Maybe "Nobody" (never heard of him?) was telling Hendrix to tone it down, but Eddie Kramer himself told me Chas told Hendrix to tone it down and make it mellower.

15. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Jimi's version is perfect. Every other cover of it completely misses the point. They just don't understand the feel of it.

16. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

You're thinking of If 6 Was 9.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

I’m thinking of half of Axis.

18. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

I'm getting a kick out of all the deaf people in this thread trashing Stevie's version which is just as good as Jimi's.

Wankfest? Sister, please... Have you listened to the melodic playing going on in that song? Actually listened? Mighty fine beautiful stuff going on there. Lots of dynamics, changes in mood, intensity, etc.

Jimi's is ethereal. Stevie's is divine. Both amazing performances. I can respect somebody preferring one over the other but to insinuate or even flat-out say one is unnecessary, sucks, or is a wankfest leaves me seriously questioning that dude's ability to listen properly.

guitarsan likes this.
  19. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

You mean this particular song? I talked to Kramer years ago at AES in New York. He said that Chas was the driver behind the raucous Purple Haze tone - So if Chandler told Hendrix to be mellower on Little Wing I could see that - but I could also see that Chandler hearing it differently asking Hendrix to give that a go - and Hendrix trying it that way and liking it.

20. guitarsan

guitarsan Member

Yep, this particular song.