Little Wing - What an exceptional song

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Feb 24, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I love this song. Jimi's king but there are just so many wonderful versions. I think I fell in love with SRV when I first heard his take.

I was listening to a Robben Ford tune on you tube just now and happened up this gem. I'd never heard of the artist (Sanne Salomonsen) before.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Agreed. Just a brilliant song.

I was lucky enough to see Jeff Beck play it live last year and was blown away by his take on it.

3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

People love Jimi's wild stuff, but to me, some of his best music was tunes like "Wind Cries Mary" and "Little Wing," along with "Wait Till Tomorrow" and other things like that. "Little Wing" is just an awesome song.

4. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

Yeah, I saw Jeff Beck do it and was really inspired. Practicing it now as a matter of fact.

5. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I think it's nice when people do it as an actual song instead of a 20 minute jam session.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

When done well it is an exceptional song.

Through no fault of the song or Jimi, it has unfortunately become a wank fest staple on the jam circuit. For me it makes only Jimi's original, Jeff Beck's, Sting's, Tuck & Patti's and Laurence Juber's covers listenable on any regular basis. I never particularly cared for the SRV version.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. monty

monty Member

Ditto here. One rainy wish is on top of my list too.

8. stevel

stevel Member

OK, fanbois, what makes it so great?

It's actually a song I never heard on the radio in my youth. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even heard Jimi's version on the radio - only SRV's - and those instances were rare as well. I've never heard anyone play it either. One club we gig at has a guy who loves Hendrix so we usually play 2 tunes there - unrehearsed, just ones we all know, like - much to the Bass player's chagrin - Hey Joe (and then usually Purple Haze or Foxey Lady).

So one night I had to listen to the you tube video of LW to learn the basic progression so we could play it.

I do love "Wind Cries Mary", but - and maybe I haven't given Little Wing a fair chance, so here's your chance to win me over :) - but honestly, based on what I've heard, it's a "nice song" but that's about as far as I'd go with it...I love the tonal changes in SRV's version but aside from that, what makes it great? Chord progression? Lyrics? Jimi's soulful voice? What say you?

9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I love the lyrics. I love the turnaround.

Its very visual for me. A comforting free spirited woman. Its nice!

10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

And I just listened to vid above. Robben is so inspiring. The singer is great even with her accent she is great.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Great song.....the Hendrix version.....I never cared for the SRV version at all. With all due respect that version is what turned that song into a wankfest IMO. I always liked the Derek & The Dominoes version, too.

12. theanthonyv

theanthonyv Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. My other gripe is when people entirely blow off the rhythm and percussive nature of the intro. They do the basic progression but they ignore THE FEEL.

13. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

Who could resist such an invitation to comment?

14. auger-1

auger-1 Member

Corrs version is also nice

15. lkft

lkft Member

What makes it great to me is the fact that it has about 19 chord changes before it cycles again which is basically unheard of, past or present. It a challenging song to learn to play because of it so yeah, it's a great song. Maybe the younger generation doesn't see the genius in it but if that's the case then it's their loss.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Let's not over state things. It has 12 chord changes most all simple diatonic.

Unheard of? Perhaps in your world but just in 3 common jazz standards:

All The Things You Are has 23.
    Body and Soul has 15 just in the "A" section and another 21 in the "B" section
    Round Midnight has 9 just in the intro, 19 in the "A" section and more in the "B" section and the Coda

Perspective before hyperbole.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

My thoughts too. The lyrics are part of what makes it great. Just wanking over the progression is an abomination.

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I never thought of it as a complex song and the progression is easy to learn and remember. What makes it challenging is Jimi's incredible sense of rhythm. It's hard to just let it flow like he does.

19. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

When I record a loop on my Ditto to play along with, often it is "Little Wing". There are lots of interesting places you can go with it.

20. lkft

lkft Member

I was referring to the genre of rock...if you can give a few examples of rock then I'd be willing to accept the argument but jazz doesn't compare...also the word "about" before the number is supposed to let the reader know I'm not talking absolutes, just making a point.