Littledawg amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BuddyGuit, Jun 29, 2006.

1. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Anyone here using a littledawg amp (the deluxe)? If so how are they. They sure don't seem to be pricey.

Buddy

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I have a Li'l Dawg D-Lux. I love it -- now, the qualifier is that I've never owned a 5E3, clone or genuine, before. However, it's got a fantastic tone, and I like it, tonally, every bit as much as my Swart AST or '68 Princeton Reverb -- although it isn't as versatile as either of them. But what it does, it does damned well. I would have been happy if I'd paid twice the price. Part of me wonders, "What does a Clark sound like?" but, as happy as I am with the D-Lux, I don't have a lot of impetus to find out.

Oh -- also check over on the Fender forum. There's a long thread with lots of info & tone reports in the Miscellaneous area. The one weak thing folks have reported is the stock Jensen speaker -- quite a few have switched to (or are having Jim install in the first place) Weber 12A125s.

3. Roe

Roe Member

I'm getting the champster. should ship next week or so :D

4. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I've actually gigged in Trondheim ........

5. frank62

frank62 Member

i have been looking at the massive amount of 5E3 amps available and have almost decided on the lil dawg d-lux. his prices are already going up so i don't know how much longer they will be a bargin. a few years back i owned a fender 5E3 and will say without a doubt nothing beats the real thing.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've never played through an original 5E3 but I don't doubt they're special. I couldn't afford an original and am glad there are affordable choices for all of us today.

I've talked to Jim at Lil Dawg via email and you won't find a nicer guy.

I think if I buy one from him I'll have him leave the speaker out and use a Weber 12A125A. He gives a $55 credit if you don't want the Jensen.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hey Roe,

How 'bout a tone report when the Champster arrives?

8. tdu

tdu Member

I got a Champster Special which is a 14 watt version of the Champster. It also has a tone knob added. It should be here next week, but I have some photos of the completed amp now.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that his prices are going up. That is not suprising because his prices were insanely low.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Roe

Roe Member

yes, I'll post a small report :D

Buddy,

Not often people have played here.
    were did you play?

10. frank62

frank62 Member

tdu. that amp looks great! cool idea. the pics on his site don't do these amps justice. the little dogs may soon be the big dogs for tweed.

11. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

i think i might check these out. They look like some pretty solid amps.
    thanks!

12. tdu

tdu Member

Jim will customize the amps pretty much any way you want. His customer service is beyond outstanding. I changed my mine about 10 time as to what amp I wanted, and he was patient and emailed incredibly detailed emails all the time. He sent me photos of the entire build process as well. It's amazing that he can keep up.

he also offers Tweed Bassman, Princeton, and Deluxe clones. And he has done head versions of the various amps.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

tdu,

If the Champster is 14 watts with a tone control, isn't it pretty much a D-Lux?

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You're right. He really needs better pics on the web site. The pics from tdu are the nicest I've seen of these amps.

Jim's probably too busy to take more pics though. He is currently backed up 16 weeks.

15. Crazyquilt

16. tdu

tdu Member

Also, I got the tweed darkened on mine as an option which is one reason the photos look so great. He doesn't charge extra, but it takes about 2 weeks longer while he adds more coats. It looks amazing though as you can see in the photos. The standard tweed is way lighter in colour.

The D'Lux/Deluxe has a few differences from the Champster (even at 14 watts). It' has 4 inputs and 2 channels. The circuit is also different and from what I have heard, the D'Lux will overdrive quicker. The D'lux is also a few pounds heavier.

he also offers a 25 watt D'Lux which is what I was originally going to get.

17. Crazyquilt

The tweed on my D-Lux is the lighter, standard version. I was impatient, and the color of the tweed wasn't a big thing for me. So now you can get an idea of the differences between standard & aged, comparing my D-Lux to tdu's Champster.

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

CQ,

Thanks for the pics. Now I have an idea of how both finishes look. Tough choice. I like them both.

I think, just from what I've seen, Jim's amps are going to make a big impact.

tdu,

Thanks for the explanation. I should have noticed the differences before asking the question.

19. tdu

tdu Member

They already have on the various Fender forums. That is where I read about them awhile ago. When I ordered mine it was already a 12 week wait. Now it's up to about 17 weeks I think.

20. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I would guess that the 14w Champster is running the two 6V6's in parallel, in which case it's still a single-ended, Class A circuit design... A Deluxe is a 22w push-pull class a/b circuit design. That's a VERY general description of the differences...

Tonally the biggest difference would probably be that the Champ is a faster responding amp and it's class A circuit design preserves the 2nd order harmonic, while the Deluxe's push-pull features crossover distortion... which means they are both sweet sounding amps, just different.

If you really dig into the circuits and components of the two amps even further, you'll see these amps have as many differences as similarities... the biggest similarity between the two is the tweed clothing they both wear.

So I'm guessing this 14w Champ is basically going to be a bit louder and have more headroom than a standard Champ, and be fairly different from a Deluxe.

To add further fun, you should hear a Champ with a deluxe-style tone control, the negative feedback removed, and running through a 12" speaker. Can you say FIREBREATHER?! I'd love to hear one of those 14w Champs set up the same way.