Live Amplification and Signal Chain for Acoustic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WaysideRickNJ, Jul 11, 2008.

1. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

The frontman in my band plays both a Martin HD-28 and a Gibson J-30 as his main insrument (we're an acoustic rock outfit). Unfortunately, his guitar often sounds tinny through the PA, despite using a Para Acoustic DI in combination with his B-Band UST.

We've been wondering how other acoustic guitars are being run in band situations. We were thinking that something like a nice compressor (Keeley, Analogman), and a good reverb pedal, as well as the EQ on the PADI would help his sound a lot.

Just looking for suggestions. What do the other "band" acoustic players run their signal through to maximize the sound quality?

-Rick

2. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

What kind of pickups is he using? If they're stock he's probably uing Fishman Matrix II pups which are really thin sounding. I run my Froggy Bootom D through the PA with a Headway pickup and it sounds awesome. Don't really need the para di for anything other than managing unwanted feedback.

3. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

He's got a B-Band UST in the Gibson, and a Fishman Natural I in the Martin.

4. tone4days

tone4days Member

i run the piezo output to a DTAR mama bear ... i run it almost fully 'wet' ... the sound is incredible and no feedback ever ... DI straight to the board for FOH and to my carvin AG100D on stage amp ... the amp has a little chorus and/or reverb to taste ...

very very happy with the bullet proof results ... biggest bummer is the form factor and wall wart for power .. if it was rack mounted and ran off AC it would be perfect ... or if it were a reasonable pedal size and ran off 9 VDC ... but these are small gripes given how good it sounds

good luck
    t4d

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Rane AP-13 with a Rane DC-24 inserted and a Boss SE-50 in the loop into a Bose L1....Fishman Blender in my 614 and 18 volt Timberline in my RS-6.

Huge tones with lots of feedback control. Very happy with this setup.

*hint....have him buy an RS6....best band "acoustic" I've ever used!

6. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

RS6 - guitar, preamp, what?

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

RS-6