Live at Leeds tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by El Kabong, Mar 11, 2008.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Does any pedal come close at sane volumes?

2. zion

zion Supporting Member

Rumor has it that the BJFE Model H has some L@L tones in it...

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Where can you get that?

4. zion

zion Supporting Member

It ain't easy, but head over to the BJFE forum site and read about it.

5. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Hyperpaks supposed do that according to Catalinbread

6. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Aim for the moon and land amongst the stars I like to say. :)

7. Grenville

Grenville Member

Are we talking about drum tone, then?

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Maybe it was the vid, but neither of those units sounded anything like the DR-504 I used to own. Nor did they sound like Live at Leeds. The Live at Leeds set up is really very basic. You need a SG with p-90s, CP-103 Hiwatt w/cab, and a Unviox Superfuzz. And as always, turn that sh-t up! I've yet to hear a pedal capture the tone, presence, dynamics, or power of a Hiwatt. So I guess my answer is NO. :)

9. justonwo

justonwo Member

I'm going to have to agree with you about that vid, Brent. Doesn't sound at all like a Hiwatt to me, and definitely not the Live at Leeds tone. I do, however, have a Model H on the way as many people on the BJFE Forum swear that it nails that tone.

I think it's the recording and probably the guitar used. It sounds like he's using the neck pickup or like the tone is rolled off a lot.

10. Craise

Craise Member

Here's some clips of my BJF Model H, made using my 89 Lp with 70's Hums into my 64 Princeton Reverb with vintage jensen speaker...
    Just doing some Who chords (from memory...not perfect!)
    But you can totally hear that Live at Leeds tone... (imho!)
    I freaking love this pedal! It really does have that crisp and clear but cruchy Hi-Watt sound.
    It can do high gain chords but then single note solos without changing anything...super clear crisp with balls...
    Haven't tried it with a Strat yet...but I'm sure Floyd lies within this pedal too...
    :dude
    First 45 sec is just the PR no pedal...
    http://home.comcast.net/~craisefintonkirk/Model-H-Wholicks.mp3
    http://home.comcast.net/~craisefintonkirk/Model-H-Demo1.mp3
    [​IMG]

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Isle of Wight concert is great too

12. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Those clips are better. What I'm hearing is that it's in the right zip code. Very cool.

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Check out a Lovepedal E6...does Townshend, AC/DC pretty well

14. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Whoa! I missed that pun! :p

15. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

You know I've been thinking about this... I said Leeds on my website. I think the DVD was actually Wight... Freaking inspiring.

16. justonwo

justonwo Member

The playing is great. I think the Hiwatt tone comes through best on those short bursts of leads that you play. However - and I'm not trying to be overly critical here, just making comments for the sake of discussion - I don't hear Live at Leeds in the chord work. It's definitely closer than Donner's videos, but I hear a bit too much compression, a little bit too much gain, and the tone is just a bit too dark to really nail that L@L sound. I hear Live at Leeds as being a really crisp attack with almost no compression and only a modest amount of gain (except when he boosts the amp with fuzz). The tone I'm hearing in your clips, while great, seems like a modern re-interpretation of that tone with a bit more gain and compression. It could, of course, be the recording itself. My recordings always sound drastically different than my live sound and they tend to cut out a lot of the highs for some reason (of course, I really suck at recording).

Again, not trying to be critical or a pain. Just engaging the academics of the discussion for whatever it's worth. I still really like your tone and playing. And I can't wait to try out my Model H when it arrives.

17. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Also keep in mind that Pete used the guitar volume a lot. He'd set the amp's pre and master pretty much dimed, and then rolled the volume back for cleans.

The only pedal he routinely used in those days was a fuzz pedal (usually, but not limited to a Univox Superfuzz) and that was only for lead breaks, and "rave up" intros and outros, and then not even all the time. It is very evident when he kicks it in.

I find I can approximate the tone with my Hiwatts cranked. At lower volumes, an OCD into the amp with the pres set low and the master high gets kinda close too. I've got a Superfuzz clone that works for the rave ups........

18. Craise

Craise Member

Yes, keep in mind I'm using Humbuckers and not P-90s
    Also the clips were made using the Prototype, that I only had for a week.
    ...very quickly on the last night I had it.
    Since then I have my own and have been able to dial it in more...
    When I have the chance I'll get out my LAL cd and try and match the tone and post clips.
    :)

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Re; the Hiwatt sound...
    I will say it again: I think Pete Townshend used to great effect a seldom-discussed and often maligned advancement in amp technology: amps with a "Master Volume Control." I think some pedals come close, but in all my experience pedals sound great for adding a certain sound, but this one is the sound of no pedal.