Live Concert homegrown taping - recording

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GMD, Feb 17, 2012.

1. GMD

GMD Silver Supporting Member

So...what are the thoughts in these days of smartphones everywhere, of recording concerts, like with one of those little zoom recorders or something?

Thinking of bringing one to an upcoming rock show by a band who's name rhymes with Sam Haven, mostly for personal enjoyment at home, but would most likely eventually share with the world as well...

has this become acceptable and inevitable by the music community, both sides, audience and artist? Or is it still considered a no-no?:huh

And I'm not talking about the bands that encourage tapers...

anyhoo...to record, or not record...that is the question

:mob:munch:mob

2. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

If the band does explicitly approve of audience taping, I wouldn't do it. You risk getting kicked out, losing your recorder,and lets face it-how good is the recording really going to sound if you had to hide the recorder in your jacket the whole time?

3. rspencer

rspencer Member

I record pretty much every show I go to.
    Most artists don't care, it's their management & record companies that are scared it might affect revenue. Exceptions made for a few like Fripp and Lindley, who are strongly opposed.
    You might be amazed how good a recording one can make from the audience.

4. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I saw Dylan a few years ago, and was "archiving" from the crowd with my Zoom recorder in a black sock for stealth. Show staff did three sweeps during the show looking for people like me, using flashlights to scan each row. They ignored ALL the people with iPhones recording video. I don't get it.

5. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Member

DLR told several VH sites that they are ok with pictures and video...

Get a Sony HX9V ($250) full HD and 16x zoom and a great stabilizer.

I shot that at the Dress Rehearsal last week.

6. GMD

GMD Silver Supporting Member

really? DLR said they're cool with it? Hate to get my camera taken away, and/or miss the show...can you link me to a site?

:omg

7. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Just don't tweet 'em or email 'em or any communication while the show is on.. Like to say... "turn your GTR up Charlie it's not loud enough!".... Yes that does happen sometimes!