Live Dead Garcia speaker question

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Mind you those amps were prolly modded by Randall Smith, the grill cloth could be the dead giveaway.
I saw them in the Summer of '71 and all of there stacks of Fender amps and cabs were all done in co-ordinated tie dye grill cloth fabric. But I don't think the grill cloth is a sign that the amp circuits were modified.

Calluses

Same era
No dis to Jimi but this sounds more like stocked amps with a some fuzz...just thin and shrill sounding.
Edit for missing link

Last edited:

Britishampfan

Wasn't 1969-70 the Strat with the later affixed Harley Davidson sticker from Sam Cutler? I love the SG sound on the playboy after dark St. Stephen video. Great sound, dont know the speak type but yes what a sound on live dead.

Last edited:

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
I saw them in the Summer of '71 and all of there stacks of Fender amps and cabs were all done in co-ordinated tie dye grill cloth fabric. But I don't think the grill cloth is a sign that the amp circuits were modified.

It’s not. The modifications were primarily parts. Better parts. Otherwise... stock fender circuits. I believe just one capacitor value in the tone stack was changed. Until Jerry decided to up the power, and then they simply bypassed the power section of the twin reverbs and went straight out to the McIntosh.

if you look at a Sarno SRS preamp (used a lot by Jerry players)... it’s nearly identical to the Fender Twin Reverb.

miamimart

Silver Supporting Member
Those cabs have intrigued me since I saw that they were a part of Trower's Bridge Of Sighs rig.

I saw Robin at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago on his first tour when they were backing up King Crimson. Marshalls through Dual Showman cabinets. It was a glorious sound. I've seen him a few times since that running through regular Marshall cabinets. The sound has never been as good. Don't know if the amps were 50's or 100's.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Same era
No dis to Jimi but this sounds more like stocked amps with a some fuzz...just thin and shrill sounding.
Edit for missing link

Devonshire Downs, Northridge, CA.

Tele neck on the Strat. Weird, huh?

Calluses

Ok
I thought you were talking about the guitar and not the show since you made that clear already
:dunno

Calluses

Here's the only reference I've seen that there was any connection.
From Randall's story:
"I felt a huge responsibility to do things right because in no time our customers at Prune Music included the heavies of the SF scene: Big Brother, the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, The Sons, Quicksilver, Santana, Steve Miller and hundreds more you’ve never heard of."
I've never heard anything though about him doing any mods on their gear. Not like the Barry Melton/Santana story.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
Live Dead is one of my favorite albums. I love Jerry's tone, my favorite of his... Dark Star recorded on this album is still amazing to me. Jerry's tone... the interaction of his guitar pushing those Fenders... His tone on this album is something that I kind of hold as one of the definitive guitar tones for me.

I believe that at that time he was playing an SG through either Fender Twins or Showman heads or both.

I am wondering if anyone knows specifically what speakers he was playing through at this point in time (Feb '69) ?

I am thinking JBL 12s (15s ?)... Does anyone know ?

Live Dead is one of my favorite albums. I love Jerry's tone, my favorite of his... Dark Star recorded on this album is still amazing to me. Jerry's tone... the interaction of his guitar pushing those Fenders... His tone on this album is something that I kind of hold as one of the definitive guitar tones for me.

I believe that at that time he was playing an SG through either Fender Twins or Showman heads or both.

I am wondering if anyone knows specifically what speakers he was playing through at this point in time (Feb '69) ?

I am thinking JBL 12s (15s ?)... Does anyone know ?

. Might have been a few PRS J-Mods into Vintage 30 cabs?;)

GerryJ

I saw Robin at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago on his first tour when they were backing up King Crimson. Marshalls through Dual Showman cabinets. It was a glorious sound. I've seen him a few times since that running through regular Marshall cabinets. The sound has never been as good. Don't know if the amps were 50's or 100's.

15 inch speakers are ignored by most guitar players. They're mid-range heavy, so playing by yourself in a room they don't sound as 'good' as 10s or 12s, but live with a loud band, the midrange emphasis works great.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Jerry would have the crew change out his speakers if heard the speakers react poorly to the outdoor humidity.

paulg

I can’t recall where I read this (probably here,), but supposedly Jerry had the power amp section of the Twins replaced with McIntosh tube power amps.

I can’t recall where I read this (probably here,), but supposedly Jerry had the power amp section of the Twins replaced with McIntosh tube power amps.

not replaced, but he did use those power amps.
that was way after the era in question tho.
re OP: go get you a JBL.
warning: they can be a very “grown-up” speaker relative to, say, a Jensen. i think there’s a reason they aren’t super popular now that overdrive pedals are in. i used a D120 for a long time, but i didn’t use pedals. they’re awesome speakers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom