• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Live gain question

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
So tonight I had a rehearsal with the band. We had to keep it down a bit.... I noticed when I turned down my Fender HRD, that my pedals sounded mushy. My distortion just didn't bite well. Is it possible I'm using too much gain? I use my amp clean (no dirt at all). I had my Bondi Sick As on the low gain toggle with gain at noon for break up, stacked into my Emma Reezafratziz. Emma he unity volume, and gain at around 2 pm. When I turn my amp up louder it definitely sounds better. Any help appreciated.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
In My experience... Adjusting gain and/or volume on pedals when you adjust the volume of your tube amp are very common in my experience. If I normally play at a volume and have your pedals set for that, then change that volume at a different venue, I typically give a couple pedals a light tweak on the volume and/or gain knobs.

whackystrings

I cannot comment on the specifics of your distortion/drive units, but most would agree that Fender tube amps sound better at '4' or higher rather than at 1.5. Nature of the beast. Drive units tend to sound better with an amp that is being pushed at least even a bit. More=bettah

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
thanks guys. I figured as much. Just didn't want to be too much gain and that be the cause

Rydell

Did you turn down the master or channel volume? It can make a difference in the amp's response to pedals.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
on my HRD there's a volume knob (which seems to control clean channel) and a Master knob (which controls drive channel). I run clean so I was only using volume knob on far left. I had it on like 1.5 -2 at most

akeiser

on my HRD there's a volume knob (which seems to control clean channel) and a Master knob (which controls drive channel). I run clean so I was only using volume knob on far left. I had it on like 1.5 -2 at most
I have same issue with my distortion pedals when amp volume set too low in Fender HRD.
I'm interested to know how to resolve it without adding additional attenuator and having volume constraint on stage.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Akeiser... I was looking into those Rivera Attenuators. I do a direct to PA set u also (premp tube pedal into torpedo cab) so I use headphones at night but still not the same

menlow

Silver Supporting Member
So tonight I had a rehearsal with the band. We had to keep it down a bit.... I noticed when I turned down my Fender HRD, that my pedals sounded mushy. My distortion just didn't bite well. Is it possible I'm using too much gain? I use my amp clean (no dirt at all). I had my Bondi Sick As on the low gain toggle with gain at noon for break up, stacked into my Emma Reezafratziz. Emma he unity volume, and gain at around 2 pm. When I turn my amp up louder it definitely sounds better. Any help appreciated.
BEST AVATAR EVER.

Trending Topics