Live monitor solution for drummer.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Steve1216, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Steve1216

Steve1216 Supporting Member

So we play some reeeeeaaallly small venues, sometimes. Sound systems are typically non existent. And no monitors. On top of this, half the time the guitar amp has to be in front of the drums. So the drummer ends up not being able to hear me or bass player, which is not ideal. I have a small pa with a mixer and powered monitors. But setting up a mixer and wedge on the stage would exacerbate the space problem. I also have a headphone amp. Anyway, the best (least complicated/cheapest/space efficient) thing I can think of at the moment I’d to split the guitar signal and have one going into a little champ, or something. And have it dedicated to the drummer. Any other ideas that don’t involve complicated systems?

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Put your amp were both you and the drummer can hear it.

jmoose likes this.
  3. Steve1216

As stated in the original post, that's not always possible. Hence the need for a monitoring solution.

4. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I picked up a QSC CP 8 a while back. Great little monitor.

5. Steve1216

Well, I do have a couple of 12" Mackie Monitors. They'd be great. Except that in these instances, the places are so tiny that instruments are not miked or going through PA. So I can't figure how I'd use the monitor to amplify the guitar signal without it coming through a mixer, first.

6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Take a small 8" monitor and a mic. Short of turning your amps around, I see no other solution.

7. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Use an open-back guitar cabinet.

mixwiz and amphog like this.
  8. edward

edward Supporting Member

Or a small external cab...say a 1x10. And simply run it out of your amp for the drummer. This is simpler than even a mic on your amp to a small monitor, but he’d lack ability for volume control. Personally, an e906 over your amp to a CP8 is prob your best bet.

Edward

9. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Unless you have to split the band across a doorway or something, a open back cab for your amp even if in front of the drummer should work. More gear is usually not the solution to fixing things in tight spaces.

10. Steve1216

It is an open back cab. But Sitting front of the drummers kick did not give him enough volume to clearly hear what was being played. The mic w/ monitor or splitting signal is what I’ll probably end up doing.

11. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Are you miking the amps? Could you run a headphone feed off of the PA system?

12. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

Is it possible to place a box between your amp and your speaker cabinet (such as an H&K Red Box or Palmer PDI 09), and use the XLR to supply sound to headphones? I don't know if this would actually work - just an idea.

13. Evitucci

Evitucci Member

I would run an ext. cab from your amp that you can sit your amp on top of, have that cab face the drummer. a 1x10 or 1x12. You could also do a headphone amp with a line out of your amp and the bass players amp for him. Then he can adjust the volume, you don't need a wireless one so they are cheap enough.

14. Steve1216

No. These places are so rinky dink that miking amps would be pointless for the house.

15. JKSound

JKSound Member

Just because it is miked doesnt mean it has to go to house. It can be purely for in ears or his wedge.

If the venues are indeed that small, I would be going with in ears if at all possible. It will drastically reduce the noise down and help with the overall mix...and it doesn't take up additional space really. That is what I would do.

How many channels (vocals, instruments) do you typically use?

Charlie_Strat likes this.
  16. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

A quick glance at the thread title came across as "Live minotaur solution for drummer". Knowing the way some drummers hit, I thought "well, that could work..."

17. jmoose

jmoose Member

This is really the correct answer. Legit question... if the stage is so small you can't put the amp where everyone can hear it how are you going to fit in another mic stand & monitor wedge?!

I've certainly played gigs as a drummer where I get wedged into a corner and can't hear anything but a muddy rumble and myself. Sucks.

In those situations the LAST thing I'd want are headphones. Just going to make everything worse because now I cut off the room, the vocals, my cymbals... possibly the beater impact of the kick drum. Not to mention its an incredibly stupid idea to put uncompressed live audio directly into your skull if you value your hearing. One feedback blast can destroy a persons hearing for life. Bad idea all around.

Plus, yaknow... with headphones/IEM unless its really a proper setup chances are the drummer is going to overplay which means they get louder. And I'm sure that's exactly what everyone wants in a small room, louder drums.

Years ago I gigged with either an old UK AC30 or half stack. My solution was always, and still is to turn the amp sidewards so its blasting across the stage rather then directly into the house.

Has a few advantages, for one... everyone on stage can actually hear it keeping the volume down a bit. And two, since its not blasting the house the sound monkey can actually turn it up in the mix. All good, no bad.

And really, the simple truth is that not every "stage" is an appropriate one for music. At a certain point its often better to say no, we can't play here the situation doesn't work for us.

Jason Fieldhouse and amphog like this.
  18. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

If the places are as small as you say, reduce the drummer kit size, get small amps and put them in the back.
    Maybe even one of those cocktail kits. Small place = low volume.

19. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

If you can get the amp off the floor onto a stand that usually makes a huge difference unless you play lower volume while still hearing the guitar.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you really do end up with another box back by the drummer just for guitar, don’t make it an extension cab.

that’ll likely be way too loud for the drummer and no way to turn it down.

use another little combo amp fed with a line out or something so the “guitar monitor” can be adjusted by the drummer separately from your amp up front.

(+1 to maybe a place that small shouldn’t have a drum kit on stage anyway)