Live music: where is it?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by smolder, Mar 25, 2015.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Wondering what cities, particularly in the US have a thriving local live music scene? What makes them work?

I'll start with an obvious:

Austin. - built into the DNA and zoning laws.

2. Lephty

Lephty Member

Denver is totally happenin' these days. I think it mainly has to do with a young-ish demographic...lots of 20- and 30-somethings here looking to party. On any random weekend night around here, there are dozens of live shows to catch, both local and national acts.

Oh...just noticed you live "up in the Rockies" so you probably already knew that.

3. smolder

kind of... been jumping downtown on Thursday nights to check it out (quixote's). I don't see much live going on in lodo... but I may be looking in the wrong places. The scene up in the mountains is 1) touristy in the resorts... and in Evergreen lot's of places are trying to stir up business with psuedo-live acts for happy hour, or open mics... not much for bands other than the little bear and cactus jacks. Not terribly impressed with Golden or the 'old guy blues' scene.

4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Define a "thriving" live music scene. Consider wages, genre, recordings, etc.

5. smolder

Good bands, making great music, bringing in crowds. Pretty simple. Not getting subjective on style or pay.

6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

The "old man blues scene" is good here. That's where I gig, I'm 37.

7. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

Chicago. I've got several friends who moved there to play in original bands, and I travel there quite frequently to play with my 70/30 cover/original country act. Plenty of nice venues. Not plenty of parking.

8. Bankston

Bankston Member

Houston's rock scene is the best it's been in a long time.

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I love the scene in Detroit. I can go out any night of the week and find a great show.

Peace,

10. rspencer

rspencer Member

Milwaukee has a great scene with a variety of styles. Madison is pretty good too.

11. RCM78

RCM78 Member

NJ-aka Cover Band Land...
    There are 15 cover bands for each venue that has live music and thats a conservative estimate. It's an extremely competitive market and I know dozens of people that make their living playing in a cover band.

Original music scene unfortunately is poor. There's a few cool venues still willing to host original music but it's a pale comparison to the thriving music scene I grew up in back in the 80's...

12. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Spot on. Jersey music scene sucks. Princeton and New Brunswick used to be ok, but now it pretty much sucks too. It's kind of depressing actually. I am in northern nj and have been itching to get an original thing together but have been met with nothing but dead ends.

13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I can go to a number of venues in the Triangle to see music any day of the week.

14. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

Where it's not: Colorado Springs. Luckily Denver is just an hour away

15. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Kansas City Missouri.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

Asbury Park, NJ has a great music scene. Music virtually every night somewhere. Touring bands. Local jazz bands. Cover bands. Bands during brunch. Bands on the boardwalk. Stony Pony. Outdoor summer stage with big bands in summer.
    Yes - it's not a big city, but you can find someone playing real instruments somewhere every night of the week.

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Madison has a good variety of bands/artists with lots of little pubs & venues to see live music on any given night.

18. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I don't know where it is. but I know where isn't. And that isn't is San Diego. unless you like coffeeshop acoustic hipster drivel.. the live scene here is not what it should be by any stretch of the imagination. in fact its pretty bleak and sad..

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I don't want to derail the thread, but what makes the "coffeehouse acoustic hipster" music drivel? The fact that you don't like it? I ask because I love a lot of music, and some of it is acoustic music played by "hipsters".

Peace,

20. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

not because its played hipsters and not because its acoustic. I have hipster friends and I like a lot of acoustic music. but a lot of the music here is drivel. I don't know another way to put it. San Diego's music for the most part is not something to write home about. with the exception of the band Slower, my friend sings in. it was better a few years ago here, but it just doesnt have it these days.