live pod xt or analog pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yielder, Aug 3, 2005.

1. yielder

yielder Guest

hello i'm new here !

I'm thinking of buying a pod xt live just for the use of the effects... I heard you can use this together with your amp.
    and only just use the effects, is this so? does anyone have expirience with that?

i have a peavey 50 head want to use effects like phase, tremolo, univibe, delay when i'm playing lead,
    can i only use the effects... without amp or cab settings...
    can i use 3 effects together at once? or do i have to preset this?

does the effects sound great?

or should i buy just all the pedals ?

i want a podxt live because all of my gear is in the studio and not at home.

thank you verry much !!
    greetings

2. Ryan

Ryan Member

Pedals, definately pedals.

3. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

I think Line6 did a nice job with the XT, I've played through a few of them, and i own a guitarport which basically does the same functions of the XT live without the hardware.

The one complaint I have about all-in-one units in general is a lack of flexibility in the order, and as a result types of effects. Don't get me wrong I think there are a decent number of effects in the POD and I think they do a pretty good job with the models, but for example what if you want 2 different distorion/overdrive type effects in your loop, and you want to move your distortion before the wah instead of after. You can't do all these things with an all-in-one like you can with pedals. You are able to at least with the POD move a couple things, but it is very limited. For a lot of people it will probably never be an issue and the points I raised will seem nit-picky.

I guess another strike against it for me is I don't use a lot of pedals so I look at it like the money I would spend on a POD or the like, I could have bought a couple of the short list of specific pedals I really want. I'd rather have a great wah and a dozen different and unique distortion/overdrive/fuzz type pedals to mix and match than 3 wahs, 4 distortions, 1 delay, 1 compressor, 1 volume, 2 vibes, and a flanger that are all just ok.

Eric Porter likes this.
  4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I use an XTL just for FX.

The one drawback I experience is that FX that belong in front of the amp (wah & compression) don't sound so good in the loop.

5. yielder

yielder Guest

so does your sound stay more or less the same if you play a solo with only the phase (xt live ) or do you have loss in db?

thanks for all reply's

6. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 Member

I use a podxt in my FX loop right now and the effects are decent. I agree that the main drawback is the limitation on the order of effects. Another limitiation is you can only use one modulation effect at a time, and one stomp box effect at a time, which for some people might not be a big deal.

I'm slowly trying to purchase real pedals to replace the podxt because I'm getting more and more dissatisfied with the sound quality of the pod.

7. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 Member

There's no loss of db with the pod in the loop.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

No probs with volume drops turning FX on and off. As far as "sound staying more or less the same" I'm not so picky about the tone being identical to a bypassed unit as long as I can get the uneffected tone I want with all FX turned off.

I like the ability to call up combinations of FX without having to tap dance around the pedalboard. I like that it weighs about 2/3 of my "real" pedalboard and has a slightly smaller footprint. I like the fact that if my amp takes a crap, I can run it into a clean amp (or FOH) and still get a wide range of tones without having to worry about dialing in an unfamiliar amp. I like the way I can use its USB interface for silent recording straight into a PC. Before I got my GuitarPort, I used it with my GuitarPort.com subscription.

Does it absolute nail the amps/FX that it models? Not IMO. Does it sound more than good enough? It does for me. YMMV but that's not going to get me to go back to pedals anytime soon. . .but I'm not getting rid of 'em, either. ;)

9. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I had a PODxt for a few weeks, I was really interested in the "all in one small unit" feature for a small portable setup, but ended solding it.

Can't compare to the sound of the real pedals for me

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

What effects do you need?

A pod XT wld cost you $350. Thats 2-3 real cool pedals.

11. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I recently switched from modeling to pedals. I really miss the ability to dial in a couple of radically different sounds per song. For example:

Verse: delay 1 - clean
    chorus: tremelo - fuzz
    solo: delay 2 - overdrive

I still haven't gotten the tapdance down and have a gig coming up where I'm going to be in trouble if I don't figure something out.

Might have to get a combinator. Even with that though, you only get one setting per pedal.

John

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

just take the limitations as a challenge for you to be more creative!

For example (this isn't very original nor mindblowing, but it's easy to describe), I was playing with my band and wanted to do some single note volume swells for ambience. Sadly, I own a les paul (not very conducive to this kinda thing as opposed to a strat) and don't have a volume pedal, so I just used my wah as if it was a volume pedal, and the effect was really cool!

My point being, endless possibilities no matter what you have (or don't have)

13. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 Member

This was definitely a problem for me too when I first started my switch, but you quickly get over it.

I sill have my pod hooked up, but I mainly use it for reverb, volume pedal, and its tuner.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

stomping on a bunch of different pedals is part of the fun if you ask me... it takes a little practice. I don't like that with a multi effect unit, I can't simply lean down and twist a knob. You have to put it in edit mode, find the parameter then save it, etc.

Knobs are cool:AOK

15. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

If you're looking to use just the effects, might consider the Boss ME 50. I don't have one but for kicks I played through one yesterday at the store. Pretty neat but not for me.

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=123

16. yielder

yielder Guest

I''ve tried this a year ago... its a piece of crap ! heheheh
    sorry, you have to use or the pedal or your amp ...
    so using your amp in lead possision plus the boss me50 is not a good result ... you dont hear the me50..... ???
    salesmen told me i have set my amp clean and only use distortions from the boss me50 and they are really flat...

i bought a mxr phase 90 yesterday,
    so my effects are, crybaby, phase, ts9, boss DD5
    i want some really good other pedal for lead and a vibrato/tremolo, have to buy a powerpad for all the pedals... then i have to buy a stagetuner ... then i have to buy a bigg muff or some other fuzz pedal ...... then a ocave pedal for fat low solo's .... a volume pedal, me knowing i would buy a flanger for one song...
    pff so many other pedals .... i would use the pod xt live for rehearsels and live gigs but not use the amp or cab models..... if this is possieble i would go for that ...
    i'm gonna try one out on august 16th ... ( to a day of )

if the pod xt live would offer me that in one setup then i have to go with that, but i'm not shure its going to sound goood.......
    but on the otherhad, i have a guitarport wich i realy like...
    when i only play guitar, if i play together with a track for a cd i have.... the guitarport sucks ! even after tweaking it for hours !!

i'm really stressed about this ! yesterday i couldnt wait to buy me finaly a mxr phase pedal ! and if i look how many other pedals i need .............. its gonna be a trippel amount of money than the pod xt live... witch have many more effects i could dream of ....................

thans for all good reply's its a really great forum here !
    also sorry for my english !
    bye
    dave

17. acemcguire

acemcguire Member

Check out the Vox Tonelab SE. I recently did what you were thinking of doing and compared this against the Line 6. I am using this as an effects unit mainly to replace a bunch of pedals and it's working great (something that I swore I'd never do). I am using the amp simulator as a tube preamp, but I'm not using the cabinet models at all. What is really great about it is that you can control the parameters of the effects with one of the 2 footpedals or a tap tempo switch. This replaces a lot of reaching down and tweaking knobs for me. Also, all the effects and programming can be done with knobs. I also like their selection of effects. Everything you need and not a lot of weird stuff that you'll probably never use.

18. yielder

yielder Guest

i will defenetly check the tonelab out
    i have to say, i have a korg x ... 1000 or something like that and i hate it ! and its the same company............
    but maby over the years it's been better with modeling stuff
    thanks

19. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I used the Roland stuff for around five years (GT-3, VG-8, VG-88). Tried a POD 2.0 kept the Roland. Tried a ToneLab when it first came out. It took approximately five minutes to ditch Roland. I think ToneLab is the best modeler out there. Unfortunately, you can't turn off the amp modeling in the desktop version though so you would want the SE model.

20. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The Boss GT8 has been serving me well for a few months now... it's really versatile, and you can do something with it you cannot do with any other unit, other than the Lexicon MPX G2 (which I also own) or the new TC G-System... you can run efx, in any order, in front of the amp, and in the loop of the amp (or in a wet/dry setup, if you prefer). There is no other unit even close in price that'll do this.

Sounds- some of the efx are real cool, some are just ok. It's super portable and versatile. You can do cool stuff like tie the delay time to the footpedal, and have the delay mix and feedback up high... watch people freak out as you make it sound like your amp is taking off, then going to explode! Or tie it to trem time, rotary mod speed, reverb AND delay level at the same time, anything.

Tap tempo for any time based efx, a good tuner... they really thought of everything.

I have 4 efx rigs ranging from mid size pedalboard with 6 or 7 pedals from Fulltone, mxr, /13, tonebone, line 6, etc. to the Boss unit, to 2 big racks with full GCX switching systems.

The silly Boss thing has traversed Spain with me on 3 tours in the last 3 months... why? It's portable (we are touring on the cheap) and it gets the job done... more versatile than my midsize pedalboard too. I'd take my big rack if I could, but this is working fine for what it is....