Live Ready Sound - Jimi H inspired impulse collection - wow!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Riffmagus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Riffmagus

Riffmagus Member

Afternoon all.
    So, for approx five hours over the last 24, I've been having a blast trying out the Jimi Hendrix inspired IR's from LiveReadySound (https://livereadysound.com/product/ultimate-artist-tones-jimi-h-impulse-response-set/)

As a bit of background, I've played guitar for over 20 years - but focused the last 10 on using different digital gear to record at home (Line 6 POD, X3, Eleven Rack, Two Notes Torepedo CAB, Kemper, Laney IRT Pulse and currently the Atomic Amplifire.) Throughout a lot of this journey with the later gear, I've realised just how much the cab and mic choice influence the final sound, and ultimately the playability guitarwise - if a tone sounds good - we tend the play good.

So, with IR's and the Kemper / Atomic onwards I really dived down this rabbit hole. I have thousands of impulses from the big brands such as Redwirez / Ownhammer / Celestion which I have enjoyed - but still searching for the 'cab in the room' feel which a lot of digital players find is lacking.

So, with full disclosure, I found the Live Ready Sound page and liked the info about the Jimi H impulses - so I emailed and Tim the owner kindly replied with one IR to try.

Wow, this thing has the mojo with my Tele - serious great gobs of juicy tone right off the bat, no harsh high end. A 'live' feeling cab (I have a feeling it could be a mix of close mic'd and room mics but don't know for sure.) The main thing is it captures something sonically that I have not been able to get with other IR's. It might not be the IR to rule them all, but for the application (rock, Jimi inspired riffing) it absolutely NAILS it.

I've made a clip covering the tone - simply my MIM Tele on the neck pickup using the Plexi model on the Atomic AF3. Echo and Reverb to taste;

Listening back, what also gets me is the sheer dynamics on tap - I did not touch the volume control at all in the clip. And the 'woody' aspect of the tone (to my ears) just made me grin from ear to ear - so I wanted to share the tones and info here - hope others appreciate.

Cheers,
    -Riffmagus

2. The Hand

The Hand Member

Nice clip! Been shopping the Atomic devices. This really shows the potential.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

:drink Drink the KoolAid.............................................it won't kill ya. :thud

Doode and JiveTurkey like this.
  4. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Haven't tried these, but they are right now my favorite IR brewery.

JiveTurkey and mbenigni like this.
  5. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Same experience running Live Ready Sound IR's with my Helix.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  6. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Got this set now and it's great.

mbenigni likes this.
  7. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

Interesting that this package contains a few Hendrix inspired IRs and bunch of others for the Local H band that doesn't really have anything to do with Hendrix.

8. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Agree that that's odd, but I'm curious how those sound. LRS wouldn't put them out together if they didn't think that made sense.

9. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Here we go... Artist inspired IRs to go along with the litany of other items marketed in the same way. Speaker and cab models aren't enough to separate you from your $. It will probably go over well here at old man TGP

Nice first post btw

10. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

However they're trying to market that IR, it sounds pretty fantastic as you're using it. And through whatever voodoo or power of suggestion, it does put me into that specific headspace.

11. Dave Merrill

What did you think of the non-Jimi stuff in that pack? Similar? Great?

12. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

I'd say great! Very different from Jimi IR.

mbenigni likes this.
  13. Dave Merrill

14. The Hand

The Hand Member

:)

Just waiting to see how the new Mooer unit stacks up.

15. sheikyerbouti

sheikyerbouti Supporting Member

Sounds awesome Riff!
    I'll have to see if I can use these on my Pod X3 Live.

16. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I got it today. I have about 10 IR sets already from all of the big players, so I think my ears can be objective by now.

The Jimi IRs certainly sound good. Like Jimi, they are syrupy and midrange-y, and although the developer doesn’t disclose it they do sound very Beyer M160ish to me, which would be a logical choice. They do have the desirable woody quality essential for Jimi (using Mercuriall Spark and my partscaster Jimi strat w/reverse stagger magnets and headstock).

I don’t hear the “big live cab in the room” thing that the OP described. Used on their own, these sound like mic on the speaker and nothing else to me. But when mixed with my trusted room IR and a slight chamber reverb, these do the Hendrix thing very well.

I have several other Marshall/Celestion M/Beyer 160 IRs and I wouldn’t say this sounds “game changer”. better. But it’s certainly as good, and the convenience of having just a few to choose from vs hundreds in a list means I’ll probably keep these loaded up for awhile and see how they sit after the honeymoon.

I will say that, were these available a year ago, I would have probably been happy to stay with them and seen no need to get a bunch of others.

Thanks OP for recommendation!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    mbenigni likes this.
  17. stefpavone

stefpavone Member

I bought the Jimi package and, together with the sample pack, it became the standard whenever I need to play some sounds. Really well done!

18. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Tim just does great work. On both IRs and profile and preset packs. Good, good stuff :drink:drink:drink

mbenigni likes this.
  19. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

The new M75 pack is really great. I think I just really like that cabinet he's got because every pack that uses that cab is really versatile.

20. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

I've been digging that pack too. I'm in the middle of putting together a bunch of recordings showing off my favorite IRs and most of them are from LSR. It's fun going back and exploring all of the various mixes and mics - I typically just stop searching when I find a couple from a pack that I like, so this has been a fun project.