"live recording"

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Frank Axtell, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

I want to record my 4 piece group live. Guitar, bass, piano, drums no vocals. What do you guys recommend on a budget.
    Mac G5 running logic 7 w /firepod?
    Mac G5 running Cubebase LE w/firepod
    ???? maybe something different and or even better?

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I guess the most important question is how many microphones you want to use. I could imagine doing the recording with as few as 2 or as many as a dozen or more. How many mics you want will dictate, at least in part, what other gear you'll need.

Bryan

3. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

bass drum
    snare
    2 overhead rest od kit what do you think?
    for drums

1 bass direct line from bass amp
    1 bass direct line from Roland V bass

1 guitar Fender Vibroking amp
    1 Roland guitar synth

stereo keyboard mix

4. Bryan T

Well, that is at least 10 inputs that you'll need, so I don't think the Firepod would be what you want (I think it only has 8). Of course, you could record the MIDI tracks for the keys and then record the audio later, so the Firepod might just work, but you won't have any free preamps for anything else (like tom mics).

I've recorded drums with everything from just a pair of microphones to having a microphone on each drum with a pair of overheads. You can use up preamp inputs pretty quickly on a 5-piece kit.

Bryan

5. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

bass drum
    snare
    2 overhead rest of kit what do you think?
    for drums

1 bass direct line from bass amp
    1 bass direct line from Roland V bass

1 guitar Fender Vibroking amp
    1 Roland guitar synth

stereo keyboard mix

6. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

Do any of you use a powerbook to record? I've been thinking of getting one of those instead of moving around the G5 tower.

7. Bryan T

I have an iBook G4 that I do most of my recording on using an MBox (I do use an external hard drive). I've also used a Powerbook with a Digi002 for recording, which worked well.

Bryan

8. Antero

Antero Member

You could go with a stereo pair of condesors. It would be kind of old school, and wouldn't necessarily be the best for very modern stuff, but it would have a great vibe if you did it in the right room.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I've used it also, but not for tracking 10 simultaneous channels. I think it would depend on the processor load, latency, etc... which would depend on the software, to some extent. If you disable all plugins, maximize your latency settings and do your monitoriing through your mixer rather than the software it might be OK.

10. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

As Bryan T sez - you're gonna need more tracks than that to do it right.

How do you plan on getting the signal to the firepod? Most new boards have inserts - Are you gonna use the inserts off the channels of your live board? This works OK if you can set them and leave them alone. The fader will not change your level if you need to change your PA mix. Try a combination of a room mic and your most important channels as well as a mono over-all mix off the live PA board.

1 GOOD condenser room mic
    2 MONO mains mix off PA
    3 Piano
    4 Bass
    5 Guitar
    6 Kick
    7 Snare with a good condenser mic will pickup all the cymbals and lots of toms too and can be done separately from the regular live drum mics if possible or just go with a regulat 57 type if yo don't have a condensor.
    8 Toms as a sub mix from live PA if you have the kind of board that will do it.

Mix and stir well.