Live Wire In-Ear.....Do you like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by austratman23, Sep 6, 2008.

1. austratman23

austratman23 Supporting Member

Hey guys and gals

I am about to order me some in-ear monitors....molded to my ear of course. I have heard great things about Live Wires. Does anyone else have any suggestions for great in-ears for around 250 or has anyone used live wires?

2. austratman23

3. rockapede

rockapede Member

There are several great in-ear phones at that price point, but none (that I'm aware of) other than the LiveWires that are custom molded. I don't have a set of the LW (I use UE Super.fi 5pros....great, but not molded), but many of the guys over at head-fi.org that have them seem to like them. Also, the finalists on American Idol used the Live Wire phones, so I'd say they have to be at least decent.

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Sennheiser 300's are great and are reasonable in cost.

5. austratman23

yah my buddy has some and loves the live wires.

6. marsodude

marsodude Member

I bought a set about 10 months ago and I love 'em. I have worn them for 12 hours on the plane and actually forgot they were in. I use them with my iPhone and with my Crowdster Plus. The cables are awesome.

Just ordered an extra set last week.

Great Value!

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Wow, the price is definitely right. How do they sound on a loud stage? I notice Black Sabbath are users :)

8. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

Let's crank up an old thread. Anyone else try these?

9. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

I'll chime in.

Live wires did NOT work for me unfortunately. I had two sets of molds made (and two sets of livewires) and one set fit HORRIBLY and painfully in my ears (the other pair didn't seal). I should have started by saying that I've worn in-ear monitors for years...I swear by them...they can seriously save your hearing if you make a weekend career of playing loud clubs and parties. In addition, they really help clean up stage volume and sonic space to allow sound engineers to put together a great sound FOH. I'm also addicted to my "own" monitor mix put together the way I like it - and in-ears allow me to do that without imposing on anyone else.

Back to the Livewires - when the first set came in, I could just barely "force" them in (rotating them correctly - again, I DO know how to put in molded in-ears) and the resulting fit was mind-numbingly painful. The company's first reply was, "take some very fine sandpaper and sand down the part that seems to be giving you pain". I wanted nothing to do with that, as then they would be unreturnable and perhaps still unusable. After talking with them again, I had yet another set of ear canal molds made and sent into the company. They then sent me a set that was not large enough and would not seal at all - resulting in horrible bass response.

In the end, they allowed me to return my Livewires, and apart from about $40 in mold charges and some kind of "restocking" fee, I got most of my money back. So I suppose Kudos were in order for their return policy. Bottom line is that they are probably fantastic if their machine accurately plots and molds the hard plastic mold for your ears. If it's off a bit, then you're out of luck.

Just my experience and .02,
    Jay

10. austratman23

that sucks jay. So far they have worked great for me. I crunched one of mine and sent it back and it seems to fit great. I wouldn't say its the end all be all but its def affordable for someone like me who plays 1-2 a week at most..

11. mobis8

mobis8 Member

Can someone elaborate on these? Are the livewires just the earphones for an inner ear monitor system, or is it the complete system? I just checked out their website, and it just describes the earphones...

I have been wanting to go down this route for a long time, and for that price I would be willing to move on it. But if I had to pay 200+ for the earphones, then another 400 for the monitor system that may be a little more than I am able to go.

So in other words, how do these work?

12. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

I'd like to recommend the Westone UM2's. I have the UM1s and they are great, but some friends have the UM2, and I hear nothing but great things about them. They are a dual driver headphone with lots of bass response.

13. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

where are you guys getting molds made? i just use e2's, they are nothing special, but sound good enough. but i hate the foam and the rubber ear pieces. Don't know if I really want to invest the money, but I'd like to find out some options. What are typical prices?

14. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

I have e2s and even the largest size foamies fall out of my ears occasionally when I sing. I must have large ear holes. :mad: I just called a local audiologist and got a quote of $25 for impressions of both ears. That means I can have custom-molded iems for under $300. Cool.

15. austratman23

Hey

Molds are like 25-35 nothing expensive. You send them to live wires and pay 250 and they mold them to fit your ear. They are dual drivers. You can listen to music through them or you can run in ear monitors with them. They are great for the price. They are not the end all be all but they are great for the price and with me only playing 1-2 a week max they fit the needs.

16. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

The problem I've found with the Livewires is that they molds are made from a harder plastic material then others (my friends ultimates are a softer rubber like substance...)

I haven't had the best experence with them either... One hurts my ear, and the other doesn't seal... ie: no bass response on the ear.

I have other friends who use them and like them...but most people I know, if they had to do it again would just buy a pair of E5's. While they aren't molded...the Shures do block out a good bit of outside noise.

17. emery

emery Member

I like my Livewires but I agree that they are not the end of the line. I'd still like to explore some other options.

Emery

18. jamick@satx.rr.co

jamick@satx.rr.co Member

I haven't ever seen seinnheiser be reasonable about anything particulary anything they have to make and mess up too

19. jamick@satx.rr.co

jamick@satx.rr.co Member

All of these in ear customs are the same hard material except for sensaphonics silicone stuff but they are horrible about customer service and god forbid you need a replacement in a hurry....

20. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Live Wires for a couple years. They are really great. No complaints at all. Just not using them as much as I'm not doing worship at the church I used to use them at. Great product a a competetive price.